Author Topic: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy  (Read 38548 times)

Offline Esmerelda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, looks like I may be a cousin of ye also, my grandfather was Joe, who was a brother of ye're great grand father's , grandmothers  etc, he moved down here to Cork ,
 Blarney to be exact ,where he was a detective , married Rose lynch , had 2 daughters patricia (who died last year) my mother *, and 2 sons, Sean who died very young and * who is still alive , Granda Joe died about 1980. My mom has mentioned all the names of his brothers and sisters,I will ask her more about them
 I remember Lily very well, she married an O'Brien and lived in Wicklow, she has also passed away a good while ago. She was an amazing woman, great character ,great laugh, a super poker player right up to her 90's!
I know my aunt Patricia kept in touch with "Tony Corbett" up in Faughalstown, but I don't recall ever meeting them.I will ask my Mom.
I had a family tree at one stage but again it only went back as far as Peter and Ann Murtagh.
Will try to find out more.
Niamh

Moderator Note: details of living/possibly living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline roellenho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 January 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Niamh.  My Dad doesn't know much as it seemed that once the family hit Australia they left all memory of Ireland behind and didn't want to mention it.  My Dad is however trying to remember as much as he can.  I'm giving him some ginko to help spur him on.
Rosemary

Offline johnc1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I have the family tree Niamh but it is missing a few from our generation.  For example, i have some information which you could confirm with me if possible and help me out with.  Accroding to my records your Uncle Peter had 1 son (Sean) and 4 daughters (Ursula, Anne, Claire and Angela).  I don't have any information on your immediate family or your Aunt Patricia.

I spoke to my dad again but, as he pointed out, they were told very little when they were younger about past generations.  He remembers seeing his grandmother (Ann) when he was very young but that's about it.  What he did tell me was that Peter Carrigy cam from Garriskill, Street in Westmeath.  This was the original family home.  Peter moved to Faughalstown when he was married (possibly this was the home of Ann Murtagh or maybe belonging to an uncle or something like that).  The homeplace at Garriskill then passed to a brother of Peters I think before being passed to my grandfather (Bernard).  This is where my dad was brought up.  Its now owned by my uncle Noel.  Sadly it is now unoccupied and will probably fall into disrepair.  Its very remote at the end of a long lane a few miles from the village of Street and is becoming harder and harder to get to as the lane becomes overgrown.

I also have no information on the Corbetts.  Ann - maybe you can help if you are still following this?

Rosemary - I'm sure you're related somewhere along the line.  Do you know or have you heard of a John Carney?  He lives in Australia and wrote to us many years ago.  He provided most of the family tree which I now have.  I don't really know how he was related though.

Offline roellenho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 January 09 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Johnny Carrigy (John Curtain Carrigy, named after one of your prime ministers) very sadly passed away a couple of years ago.  I don't think he was even sixty.  he was an extremely popular person and very interested in family history.  I'm sure this is the one you mean as he and his brothers and their children are the only Carrigys in Australia from what I can gather.

Rosemary

i was wondering if their are any mention of any Fitzsimmons on that family tree

Offline Esmerelda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 January 09 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi John , you are correct about Peters family.
(*)
Was trying to get mom to remember the family but she is not too well at the moment and was finding it upsetting so will have to leave it for a while.But she doesn't recall any information about her grandparents.
But she did remember Patsy going to stay in England with Margaret when she was studying nursing.

Moderator Comment:
RootsChat policy prohibits publishing details of living people. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, email addresses, etc.

Offline johnc1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 February 09 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Rosemary - was checking that letter but it was definitely a John Carney who was doing the research.  Sorry but there is no mention of Fitzsimmons on the family tree.  No more info to report.  It seems like we can't mention living people Niamh.  Need to  concentrate on finding out more about the family of our great grandparents.

John

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hello John and all other Carrigy relations,

Sorry that it's been so long - great information from you, thank you.

Yes, my Nanny (Margaret) lived in Neasden. She was the loveliest person you could meet and sadly died in 1976, the year after my Dad (Pat Corbett, her son) died aged only 44. Nanny was heartbroken to lose her son. She was married to John Corbett, who died in 1971.

My Uncle Tony (Margaret's middle son) now lives in Co. Tipp., having lived in London since birth. The youngest son, Sean, died in about 1995. He, too, lived in London.

Do you live in London? I am in Norwich but visit London a lot, where my sister and brother live.
Nanny's (Margaret's) three sons were born in London, but had to go Ireland during World War 2 without Nanny or Grandad for safety. He went to the Carrigy family home and spoke of his aunts and uncles. My Dad boarded at a school in Westmeath and returned to London as a young man.

I'd love to research the great grandparents more - do you ever visit Westmeath? It would be good to meet up.

Ann.

Offline Sugarloaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello to all the Carrigys.

I am Lily Carrigy's daughter, Eileen. I have a fair bit of information on the family tree. Messages appear to be from Tommy's and Pat's family (my cousins). And Niamh, the Cork connection. I was in Westmeath recently. Stayed in Castlepollard. Lake Deveravaragh is still much the same as when my grandparents lived there - Ann and Peter Carrigy -farming land etc. Only the houses and the cars show the passing of the years.

My mother took lots of photos and I have some of the family getogether in Faughalstown with lots of children in them. Hope someone picks up on this as it is some time since you were on the site.

Eileen

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Eileen,

It's lovely to make contact. My father was Pat Corbett, who was Margaret's eldest son (your cousin, as you mentioned). Margaret and Lily were sisters, weren't they.

As you probably know, my dear Dad died in 1975 at the very young age of 44. Nanny (Margaret) died the following year. My Dad stayed in Co. Westmeath for many years as a child; he went there from London while the war was on and stayed for a few years afterwards.

When did you live there, Eileen? Do you still live there? It would be lovely to meet you all. Uncle Tony, Dad's brother is still alive and he lives in Co. Tipp. I live in Norwich.

I would love to see any information that you have on the family tree if possible, please.

Many regards,

Ann Blackburn (nee Corbett).