Author Topic: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy  (Read 38549 times)

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy
« on: Sunday 19 February 06 22:17 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was Margaret Carrigy born around 1896 around Ballynacarrigy. Her mother's name was Ann.  She had many sisters and brothers - two were called Molly and Lily. Can anyone supply any information please?

Offline johnc1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Hope you get this.  I have some information that you may be looking for.  I am a Carrigy and my grandfather was Bernard Carrigy. I believe he was a brother of your grandmother.  There were 11 brothers and sisters in all.  Their mother was Ann Murtagh and father Peter Carrigy.  I do have other information and would be interested if you have other information to share.

John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, John. Hawkshaw hasn't been online since April 2008 according to their profile but hopefully they will see your post soon. After you've made 3 posts you can use send Hawkshaw a PM (personal message) and then use the PM system to exchange email address, share details of living relatives, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 08 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Thank you so much for responding. We must be second cousins then, because my lovely grandmother was Margaret Carrigy (she married John Corbett) and she must have been Bernard's sister. Do you still live in Ireland? I would love to hear everything that you know about the Carrigys and I'll do the same for you.

Regards,

Ann.

Offline johnc1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Sorry for taking so long to reply - been very busy.  Yes it seems like we are second cousins.  I don't have lots of information with me right now but do have a very mini family tree somewhere.  When I get hold of it I can pass it on to you.  I do know there were about 11 in our grandparents' family.  I have never lived in Ireland myself.  My dad came to England and settled here back in the 1960s.  I still live here and dad is still going strong.  I have spent a lot of time in  Ireland though.  Do you live in Ireland?    I never knew my grandfather, Bernard, as he died in the 1960s.  He was brother to your grandmother.  They lived in Street, Westmeath.  As far as I am aware our grandparents grew up close to Castlepollard.  I don't know how much you know so if you don't know a lot then please ask.  If you do know then please let me know.

John

Offline roellenho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 08 07:22 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was Margaret Carrigy born around 1896 around Ballynacarrigy. Her mother's name was Ann.  She had many sisters and brothers - two were called Molly and Lily. Can anyone supply any information please?

Just wandering if perhaps you can help me.  My Grandmother was Rose Carrigy, born in Australia in 1894 to Richard and Annie (nee Fitzsimmons) Carrigy.  Richard could have been your grandmothers uncle or older brother as there are so many children.  Both grans parents were born in Westmeath.   I know that Richard Carrigy was an extremely fine horse man and had a brother called John who immigrated to USA.    Have you found any more about your grandmother's family?

Offline johnc1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Carrigys
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 January 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Ann

I have now got a family tree going back to what would be our shared great grandparents but only that far.  They were called Peter and Ann (nee Murtagh).  They had 11 children - Bridget (Sister Kevin), Bernard (my grandfather), Matthew (who emigrated to and died in Argentina), John, Margaret (your grandmother), Molly, Joe, Lily, Julia, Tony and Christine (Dina).  I actually have met a few of them when they were alive.  I've chatted to my dad and learnt a bit more too.  I remember going to see your grandmother at a very young age in England (I believe near Neasden?).  My dad spoke fondly of his aunt maggie.  We used to visit Molly every year in Ireland and she lived to a good age (98).  I also remember visiting Tony and Dina who ended up living together and also Julia.  I have quite a lot of information about each, including their marriages and children and grandchildren but this is incomplete particularly on your side.  I know that your grandmother had 3 children.  I have their names (Pat, Tony and Sean) but no further information.  My dad can only remember so much as there is obviously a lot of people to remember.  The challenge now is to find out more about the great grandparents (Peter and Ann) and any of their family.  Please feel free to ask any questions you wish.

John

Offline johnc1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
reply to roellenho
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 January 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
It is very likely that your great grandfather was a brother of my great grandfather.  My great grandfather was Peter Carrigy.  He lived in Westmeath - a place called Faughalstown close to Castlepollard.  I'm trying to find out more about my great grandfather and his family but have little information at the moment.  The date of your grandmother's birth makes it likely that her father was a relative of my great grandfather but I'm just not sure how they are related.  Let me know if you find out any more.

John

Offline roellenho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 January 09 06:57 GMT (UK) »
John,

My gr grandfather's name was Richard Carrigy.  He married Annie Fitzsimmons who lived nearby.  Perhaps some of the other family members married into the Fitzsimmons as was common then.  They had three children - *.  My Dad is in hospital at the moment but when he is feeling up to it I'll ask him for some more information.

Rosemary

PS - I have 'photo' of Richard somewhere - more hand drawn likeness than photo actually.

Moderator Note: details of living/possibly living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy