Author Topic: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy  (Read 38617 times)

Offline street carrigys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Sugarloaf and any Carrigys, Ireland, England, Australia, etc. I drew up a family chart which I originally  tagged Castlepollard Carrigy, but on visiting Julia at Baronstown in 1997 I think, couldn't work out the connection with the Street Carrigys. From Julia's account her family definitely had links with that same clan. There was some talk of her folk having something to do with a mill in street.
Apologies to johnc1973 for thinking I had met you and your father in Ireland but think in your chat you mention my correspondence. I think you would hold the key to unlocking the past. Any thoughts on my theory that the father of your Peter Carrigy d1934 could have been Bernard Carrigy who had three holdings of land at Garriskill in the Griffiths Valuation record.
Regarding gatherings,  family and friends including a number of Carrigy descendants are getting together to celebrate my mother's 99 birthday on February 9.
To Rosemary, if your parents were Kevin and Maureen, I have you on my charts for Ausie Carrigys. your Carrigy ancestors were from Cloran in County Meath. We have held some Carrigy reunions and think one is coming up next Christmas.
Don't have Sugarloaf on my 1990 chart with data from Julia D. was Grania in your family?
Regards John.

Offline Sugarloaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Street Carrigy

I'm referring to the fact that here in Ireland 2013 is the year of 'The Gathering'. People are encouraged to getogether to celebrate with friends and family from home and abroad. I wondered if there was anything planned for Westmeath?

Greetings to your mother on her 99th on 9th.

Sugarloaf.

Offline street carrigys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 February 13 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for word on Westmeath gathering. Had pretty good gathering for mothers 99th on 9th March. Have put about 600 names of Carrigy descendants worldwide on my Carrigy tree but Private tree at present.. Few problems with double entries that need to clean up but can open tree to any interested parties.
Best luck for gathering, Sorry cant be there this year but hope to be in Sydney for Reunion there. My email address is *
Regards John and Maryrose

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline street carrigys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 April 14 08:10 BST (UK) »
From down under, we celebrated mums 100th in Feb. last. This tread sparked by new contact via Ancestry from Kayleigh, great granddaughter of late Julia d. 1991, Baronstown, Ballynacarrigy.
 Today Opened old box of letters from Julia and Ann D. of Baronstown answering earlier questions.
Reply circa 1990 -- "Garriskill " was left to Bernard Carrigy from Uncle Johnny. Julia's father was Peter Carrigy brother of Johnny. He married Ann Murtagh of Fraughlinstown who owned the farm there.
Does anyone have knowledge of the Catholic Church at Turbotstown, Civil Parish of Mayne where I believe Ann Murtagh would have married Peter Carrigy. Marriage would have been circa 1882.
Reading these letters from Baronstown now confirms my strong belief that Garriskill was the home place of said Peter Carrigy.  Any questions or suggestions or news of Gathering.

Offline roellenho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 07:22 BST (UK) »
I have just uploaded a photo of my great grandfather, Richard Carrigy, formerly of Westmeath, latterly of Nangana Victoria, Australia.  The photo seems to have been cut from a larger one.  I was just wandering if it was part of a larger Carrigy photo someone may have.  Here's hoping.  Rosemary

Offline roellenho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 07:24 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say the uploaded photo of Richard Carrigy is on Ancestry.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
It must belong to someone's tree, have you contacted them?

Offline Baronstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello to all Carrigys

My Grandmother was Julia Daly (nee Carrigy) and my Great Grandparents were Peter and Anne Carrigy (nee Murtagh).  Julia Carrigy was born on 5th August 1901, her birth certificate has them living in Faughlstown at that time and Peter's profession then was Farmer. Julia Carrigy married Nicholas Daly from Russagh, he was born 1899 and they married on 10th August 1932 at the RC Church of Boherquill in Coole, Delvin. At the time of the marriage Julia was living in Garriskill.  They went on to have 9 children, including my Mother Margaret "Greta" who passed in 2007.  My family tree on Ancestry is public "Murphy Family Tree".  I have a photo of all 9 siblings together taken at Baronstown.
Wishing you all well.

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 August 15 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm a Brennan from Dublin and my Grandmother was Julia Daly, nee Carrigy -- Hi cousin Murphy! and Mam's [Colette] cousin Eileen.  I've been also building out my family tree and would love to learn more about the Carrigys in Cork and Australia, and the Corbetts in the UK/Tipperary.   I've also found the shipping manifest for a Kate Carrigy aged 17 who arrived in Ellis Island, New York in June 1908 on the Baltic and went to stay with her Aunt Margaret Carrigy in New York City - if anyone has any information on them it would be very much appreciated.  Also interested in learning if anyone knows of any other Carrigys from this tree that moved to the USA.