Author Topic: S&R Horton - Builders (Lincoln)  (Read 2488 times)

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
S&R Horton - Builders (Lincoln)
« on: Monday 20 February 06 12:37 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt Grandfather, Samuel Horton, was a builder with his brother Robert and they had their own firm S&R Horton builders.  I have found various adverts in directories of the time (1880s-1910 ish) and it is fascinating to see how their business grew, as the first advert was a short line which progressed to a half page advert with a picture of the builders yard in Portland Street, Lincoln.

I was wondering whether it is possible to discover what happened to the business.  I know theat Samuels son Frank was down as working in a builders yard and Roberts son was down as a builders clerk (I think) in the 1901 census, I also think the business became S&R Horton and Sons.

My Grandmas cousin is still alive and told me that there was some sort of scandel surrounding the business during (she thinks) WW1, it was not something that was spoken of in front of the children so she doesn't really know anything else other than it was probably to do with Robert and supplies or something like that.  Is there any way of finding out more?  I live in Norfolk and have a toddler so getting to various archives in Lincolnshire is very difficult, I was wondering whether anyone can recommend any websites or an address I can write to to get further information.
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,

Offline Mikey W

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: S&R HORTON - Builders (Lincoln)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
I thought you might be interested that my great uncle John Norman Yates was an employee of Samuel and Robert, as he lists them on his Attestation papers of 1914 when he 'answered the call', (see attached). He was only 16 at the time (born 1898) but stated he was 17 so he could you the local Territorials. So he must have been an apprentice at the firm. John survived the war but immediately re-joined the regulars (1st Lincs) on his demobilisation from Italy in 1919, so he didn't rejoin the firm. My research on him has been fascinating as I have traced his service records from 1914 to 1945, but sorry this does not tell you more about your family.
Kind regards, Michael W

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
 :o :o Well this is a bit of a blast from the past!  I saw my email notification to say someone had commented and when I looked I'd posted this message in 2006!!  The toddler I mentioned is now a teenager!

Anyway, thank for taking the time to comment.  It is always interesting to hear of new connections even if they aren't necessarily family connections.
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
There was a winding-up order for the company in 1926 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33171/page/3892

and a Liquidator appointed in 1928 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33436/page/7292
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Prohibitionman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 April 17 19:58 BST (UK) »
I am an Horton living in lincoln and a decendant of the builders, I even have original land transfers from 1927 showing over 500 acres owned in Skellingthorpe Woods, I can only assume this land was originally purchased by them for Building

Offline ChiefTech80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon, following on from your discussion I am currently looking into the history of the land mentioned in the above comments. Part of the 500 acres is a house which I'm currently purchasing and attached is a road which led to a Farm by the name of Middlebrook Farm. I was trying to find the owners of the land although now looking at the comments it would appear to now be property of the Crown. If anyone knows any other outcome from the winding up it would be interesting to know. If you wish i can upload some documents pertaining to the land with your ancestors signatures from 1913.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: S&R Horton - Builders (Lincoln)
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 20 16:14 BST (UK) »
Lincolnshire Echo Thursday 31 March 1921

For sale, Wainfleet House, Hamilton Road, St Catherines. Property of Mr Samuel Horton who is leaving the city.

Offline ChiefTech80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 April 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
So Samuel didn't leave Lincoln in the end, or at least came back later and lived at 13 Hamilton Road Lincoln until his death in 1929, only a year after the company was liquidated. He left a large sum of £8334 of probate to Frank Horton Builder, Ralph Spilman Fitter and William Mallam Phillips Solicitor.

Robert his brother died age 90 lived at 128 Doddington Road Lincoln, which is a few houses down the road from the house I am purchasing.

Offline georginacoll

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 23 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello to the original poster if you are still here! I am currently researching Monumental Masons in Lincoln and S & R Horton are listed in trade directories of 1922 and 1918 as Monumental Masons I would love to know anything anyone knows about them.... I have a copy of their advert in the directory......