Author Topic: Irish immigrants to Wales, 1800s  (Read 43575 times)

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Irish immigrants to Wales, 1800s
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 April 10 11:07 BST (UK) »
They were then dumped overboard when they got near to the South Wales Coastal ports and were forced to walk ashore to start a new life.  Courageuos helpless people
I wish you luck., if you find Humphrey Sullivan of Cardiff let me know 

My family were luckier, they came to Cardif in the mid 1890's as my grandfather was a merchant seaman although on my mother's Welsh side I have a gg grandmother from Cork that was in the Newtown area of Cardiff which I believe was a bit of an Irish ghetto, correct me if I am wrong.
The Irish who were dumped off the ships where ever the tide level was were known locally (Newport) as the Mud Crawlers and I wonder how many of those died getting to land if they couldn't beat the tide coming in.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline julie100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 April 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
I was so pleased that  am not the only one who who's Irish relatives arrived in Wales to settle from Kerry in  Ireland.
My grand father Patrick Moore was in the Munster Fusiliers in WW1 and settled in Treforrest  ( like Tricia 2) when he was repatriated after being a POW for 4 years  in France. Can anyone tell me if there is a connection with Kerry or  Treforrest  and the Marquis of Bute ? My grandfather worked for the Marquis at Dumfries House in Ayrshire after the War  and I would love to know how this may have happened.

I am also very proud of my Celtic roots !
The Sugrues from Boherbee,  Tralee, Ireland
The Scanlons and Mooores from Pontypridd and Treforrest, Wales

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
Can ANYONE help me out here.  I have reason to believe some of my family went to Wales.  James, John or Catherine Allen, maybe spelled Allan.  I dont know what direction to go to.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi April

We could do with more information in order to help you.  What dates are we talking about & did they travel from Ireland?  Why do you think they went to Wales - do you have census information?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jancis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 May 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
My Irish ancestors settled in Swansea. My ggfather James and his wife Margaret Coltis emigrated between 1886 and 1888. So far I have not traced them definitively in county Waterford (their home place), but family tradition has it that the family came from Bunmahon, Ballyristeen, and I know from the marriage of James and Margaret that their fathers were Patrick Fleming and Thomas Coltis.

Coltis seems to be an unusual name. The only othe records of it in Waterford or Swansea that I can find have been a few marriages on IGI at the time period to potentially be Margarets siblings.

Margaret returned to Waterford in 1900 to have her 6th child, while James went over to the USA (allegedly) to join his brothers Philip and Michael who were copper mining in Butte, Montana. Margaret died of puerperal infection, James was home in time to register her death, and the bby (Katie/Catherine) disappears until her marriage in 1920.
James remarried and had a further 6 children.

I would dearly love to find anything about the Coltis family who are so elusive, as well as Flemings in Bunmahon area. I have found a death for a Patrick Fleming in Bunmahon, as registered by his wife, Bridget, and Partick and Bridget were names used in our family (along with every other Irish family of the time I suspect).

I don't suppose anyone else has any connection to Coltis?

Jill

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 May 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Wow how interesting to read the postings.

My husband ancestorys where Thomas McCarthy born
 1849 Cork died September Qtr 1888 Cardiff Occupation . A shipwright.
Married to Hannah Barrett born 1853,  March Qtr 1873 in Cardiff.

|In 1881 lived 18 Tyndel Street, Cardiff Glamorgan.

If there is any more information regarding Thomas or his wife Iwould be grateful

Many thanks
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 May 11 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welsh Jen posted this site
http://www.anecdotalcity.com/web/irish_stevemurphy4.html
cheers cardiff :)
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline julie100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
sorry for the late reply to your posting

I know my grand father was in Pontypridd in 1914 as that was the year he married my grandmother.  He then went on to fight in WW1 but was a POW for 4 years and he did not return til 1918 He joined the Munster Fusiliers in Kerry Ireland .As I said in a previous post, Patrick worked for the Marquis of Bute at his estate at Dumfries House in Ayrshire Scotland.
What has always intrigued me is, how did path begin ?
From Kerry, Ireland to marrying in South Wales . On to Scotland to the Marquis of Bute then settling in Treforrest after the war as an army pensioner.

There must be some sort of connection. Does any other Roots Chatters have any ideas?
Thank you
The Sugrues from Boherbee,  Tralee, Ireland
The Scanlons and Mooores from Pontypridd and Treforrest, Wales

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
I
Marquest of Bute owned most of Cardiff he built the docks in Cardiff.
So its not suprising that your grandfather came to South Wales. It would not suprise me if the Bute family also had intrests in Ireland.
Suggest you look at the Bute family it may will give you an idea of why he took the path he did!
cheers cardiff :)
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd