Author Topic: Rake Lane Cemetery  (Read 22623 times)

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rake Lane Cemetery
« Reply #27 on: Friday 05 November 04 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Celia...my you have been busy ...in that cold winter weather too. Sorry I didnt know you had replied to me...as I hadnt had an email notification...anyway..thank you for that information...I will keep that in case if applies to my McNabs. I am at a loss at where my lot are buried..I had thought that as their children lived in the Wirral, that the parents would be buried there too. Maybe they went on a world cruise...:-) I expect they will turn up somewhere, if only in my dreams.
Hope your wrist is better...
Cheers
Andrea ;D
Ward/Turner/Pountain/Blaney(Shropshire-Staffs)              Mitchell/McNab/Clarke(Somerset-Lancashire-Leicestershire-Perthshire)
Gallop/Southwood/Northcott/Rowland(Somerset-Gloucestershire)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 November 04 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea I was just about to close down ,but checked my post first. I have had some help from a gentlman in regards to the plots in the cemeterey. They are not marked, i have to go by the map. The plots look easy to find on an airial view but when i am on the ground i get lost   :(I took an inscription from a grave Stone, Ages ago but i haven got a date of death :( i cant remember if there wasnt one or i didnt take. I have been back loads of times and i still cant find it. Now i am more organized ;D
The McNab i mentioned buried in plot 23c in 1963. I cannot understand because i found the plot, but it hasnt got one single Headstone on it. Only a few cut outs of the grass where plants have been put.When i asked why there was no headstones the gentleman didnt know. He did say it was a paupers plot though. Thats the bit i dont understand. I mean if it was 1863 i could because the family may not have had the money for one, but 1963 ???
Havent looked for the other one yet.I must find out what D (sub) means ???CeliaP.S .Dont forget to tick notify me of replies. you dont need to do it on every post,only the first
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Clannessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 November 04 16:03 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandparents are buried here.
Register of grants #2692 purchased on Oct 26, 1922
It is in section 11 and numbered 186
1st interment: Sept 23, 1922  MARY ANN  (Simpson) TAYLOR   66 years
2nd interment: Oct 30, 1928  WILLIAM THOMAS TAYLOR  73 years

Registered in the General Register of Private graves Vol 1  Folio 152

A WILLIAM JOHN TAYLOR is also buried there on Dec 23, 1963  aged 80

I will be in London for 5 days later this month and would love to be able to visit the graveside. Can anyone check if they are indeed there and where located at the cemetery. If I can't make it over when I am in London, is there anyone willing to take photos for me?

Thanks so very much  :)
Karen

Glendora, CA
Taylor & Simpson - Drumgrannon, Moy, County Tyrone, Ireland
Taylor - Birkenhead, Seacombe, England
Savage - County Tyrone, Ireland
Savage - Milngavie, Scotland & South Africa
Cooper - Ireland & Milngavie
Woods - Ireland
Thomson - Ireland
Young - Barony, Calton, Glasgow, Scotland
Galloway - Stirling & Glasgow, Scotland
Campbell - Jura & Stirling, Scotland
Murdock -England, Nova Scotia

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 November 04 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen since you have all the information it wont take long to verify your burial and find the plot number.
Hopfully it will be at the top end of cemetery.Which is on a slight hill. And not the lower end where the ground is very soft with all the rain. At this time even the more recent stones are falling like nine pins :(  The Archive is only open All dayThur/Fri &  Sat Morning. So i can go next week,
once i have the plot number i should find the stone,
and will take a photo for you

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Clannessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 November 04 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so VERY much Celia for your very kind offer!

I'm just not sure I will be able to have my cousin drive me over to Birkenhead area when I am in London at the end of this month.
Last year I was able to spend a rainy afternoon at the Library in Birkenhead but did Not have this new info.
Since my trip I have found the Taylors on the 1891 and 1901 census...even my Grandfather in the Royal Artillery Army.
The addresses I know of so far are:
5 Napier St, Birkenhead (daughter's birth record - 1899)
18 Eastham St, Birkenhead (1891 census)
28 Beaconsfield Rd, Seacombe (1901 census)
My Aunt says they both died at home at 40 Edith Road, Seacombe

Wonder if "any" of these homes are still standing?

Will be anxiously awaiting any news you find for me!

Karen
Woods - Ireland
Thomson - Ireland

Offline Clannessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 November 04 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry...another question Celia:

When you mentioned "The Archive" being open certain days...just what is the Archive? Is it the building at the cemetery?

And I understand about falling cemetery stones. Luckily when I found my Grandparents grave up in Clydebank, Scotland someone had put up wood slats to keep it standing. Many stones had fallen and like my son said...Mom you're lucky theirs wasn't lying face down or you'd never would have found it.

One more thing. To get my own copies of the death records how do I go about that? My aunt says my Great Grandparents deaths were probably a few days before the interment. So if I don't have an "exact" date for their deaths, how do I order a copy?

Thanks again
Karen
Woods - Ireland
Thomson - Ireland

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 November 04 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Karen i have now opened my own topic on Rake Lane Called Celia's Rake Lane Hope i dont confuse  us All ;D so i will from now on put by replies on that topic. And you will go to that one for replies .
Celia

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=18262.0

See you there.
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 06 November 04 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia....I found the McNabs in the 1901 census living at 8 Tudor Avenue, Seacombe...the parents and three children, Isabel, Leonora and Frederick.
Dont know if this is any good...
Cheers
Andrea :)
Ward/Turner/Pountain/Blaney(Shropshire-Staffs)              Mitchell/McNab/Clarke(Somerset-Lancashire-Leicestershire-Perthshire)
Gallop/Southwood/Northcott/Rowland(Somerset-Gloucestershire)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you have noticed any of the old houses in Rake Lane. Are there are any Victorians still standing.
 My great grandfather lived at Fountains Lodge which I only discovered this week was /is in Rake Lane? Love to know if its still there and what it's like.

AND have you come across any Shearer or Pomeroy gravestones in your wanderings?? We've lost a collection of ancestors who all lived in that area.
 :)
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall