Author Topic: MacGregor in Kirkmichael, Banffshire  (Read 19157 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacGregor in Kirkmichael, Banffshire
« on: Tuesday 21 February 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I am new here, and wondering whether anybody can help me trace the background of my 3x great grandfather John MacGregor who emigrated to the United States in 1869.  I know from his Feb 1869 Dundee marriage certificate (to Mary Barnes of Kilmarnock) that he was qualified M.D. - he continued to practise as a physician in the US. The US censuses show that he was born in June 1831 somewhere in Scotland.

The marriage certificate tells me that John's father was also John McGregor, a farmer, deceased at the date of the marriage (26 Feb 1869).  His mother was Mary McGregor nee Stirling, and it does not say that she was deceased. I cannot find the death of a Mary M(a)cGregor nee Stirling in the Scottish statutory deaths database - it may be that she too emigrated to the US but there is no obvious sign of her there either.

The most likely candidate in the 1861 census is a John McGregor, unmarried, 29, b Kirkmichael, Banffshire who is a medical attendant at some sort of medical establishment in Edinburgh.  Does anybody here have any information as to who this John was? I don't want to be chasing after the wrong John - and IGI has a John McGregor baptised Kirkmichael Banff in May 1832, son of Alexander McGregor and Christina Macpherson and another in 1831 shown as being baptised to Donald McGregor & Elizabeth Petrie. It would be a big coincidence if either of those had become a doctor, but I'd love to know for sure whether or not the 1861 John is the right one!

Any information as to parents John M(a)cGregor and Mary nee Stirling would be greatly appreciated too.  I have nothing at all on them other than their son's marriage certificate (which shows that the marriage was performed according to the forms of the U[nited] P[resbyterian] Church, so the family may have slipped under the Church of Scotland radar). There may have been a Helen or Helena M(a)cGregor in the family who appears as a witness at John's wedding to Mary Barnes, but the first name is very hard to read.

Many thanks in advance for any tips at all!

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MacGregor in Kirkmichael, Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Well. The IGI (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true) lists two marriages of a John McGregor to a Mary Stirling; one is n Eastwood, Renfrewshire in 1816, followed by two children, both born in Eastwood. The other couple were married in Denny, Stirlingshire, in 1840, and had 6 children, including a John, but he was baptised on 1 June 1845 in Denny so cannot be the one aged 29 in the 1861 census. He would have been old enough to marry in 1869.

The 1841 census (http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl) lists three John McGregors, aged respectively 9, 10 and 11, in Kirkmichael, Banffshire.

The 9-year-old is in the household of Alexander McGregor, 50, and Christiana McGregor, 45, and their children. This is the one you have already identified as the son of Alexander McGregor and Christina Macpherson.
The 10-year-old is living in the household of Margaret Fraser, 70, Robert Fraser, 35, and Ann Fraser, 30, at Glauchhan. I cannot identify this one from the IGI.
The 11-year-old is in the household of James Fleeman, 40 and Ann Fleeman, 26, and their children. Also there is Charles McGregor, 14. These two will be the sons of Alexander McGregor and Elspet Stuart, who had a Charles in 1826 and a John in 1830 among others.

The family of Donald McGregor and Elizabeth Petrie were born in Kirkmichael, Perthshire, not Kirkmichael, Banffshire. This is a completely different place. (There are 5 parishes in Scotland, all named Kirkmichael; one each in Ayrshire, Banffshire, Dumfries-shire, Perthshire, and Ross-shire - see http://www.abdnet.co.uk/genuki/BAN/Kirkmichael/index.html)

What was the age of your John according to his marriage certificate?

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 06 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Forfarian, for your very helpful reply, and especially for pointing me to FreeCEN - I hadn't realised it was so good on the early Scottish censuses. Thank you also for pointing out my error on the family from the "wrong" Kirkmichael. I see from FreeCEN that there is an intriguing John McGregor, college student, aged 19 in 1851 who is staying in Fyvie, Aberdeenshire with the family of a Donald McGregor b Kirkmichael, Banff. John's own birthplace is given as Cromdale, Inverness-shire, which my map suggests borders on the parish of Kirkmichael, Banff.  I'm beginning to wonder if he was orphaned early on and could be the same John who was with the Frasers in 1841.

John was mysteriously inconsistent about his age.  Here's what I've got from sources where I definitely know it's the right John (i.e. marriage and later):

Marriage certificate (Dundee, Feb 1869): M.D. aged 32
US 1870 census (Avoca, Nebraska Jul 1870): physician aged 31
US 1880 census (Yankton, Dakota Territory Jun 1880): physician aged 42
US 1900 census (Yankton, South Dakota Jun 1900): physician aged 68 DOB Jun 1831
US 1910 census (Yankton, South Dakota Apr 1910): physician aged 78

A handwritten family tree passed down to me from one of the American descendants has John's birthdate written in as 21 June 1831 (his parents not shown on tree), but the person who drew up the tree died 20 years ago so I don't know where he got that from. I am absolutely certain that the marriage certificate and the censuses all relate to the same person because his in-laws, named on the marriage certificate, emigrated at about the same time and father-in-law Robert Barnes was living with John and Mary in Yankton in 1880. John never moved away from Yankton and died there in 1918.

One thing I have noticed from looking at the censuses again is that in 1910 John lists the mother tongue of himself and his parents as Gaelic. I'm hoping this might help me narrow down the geographical areas of Scotland he might have come from (?)

Thank you again for your help.

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 06 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, FreeCEN is quite good for 1841, and geting better all the time as more transcriptions go online.

That John in Fyvie is very interesting. I think I have come across that Donald MacGregor before. There was a Donald MacGregor born in 1822 in Kirkmichael, parents Malcolm MacGregor and Margaret Burgess. The parents moved from Croughly, Kirkmichael, to Bogniebrae, Forgue, Aberdeenshire between the 1841 and 1851 censuses. So I suspect that this Donald in Fyvie could be the same one. Malcolm MacGregor was born in Abernethy and Margaret Burgess in Cromdale, by the way.

And yes, Gaelic would have been spoken in Cromdale and Kirkmichael, Banffshire, in the 1830s. There would probably also be Gaelic speakers in the Perthshire and Ross-shire Kirkmichaels, but unlikely in Ayrshire or Dumfries-shire.

Your John certainly sems to have been uncertain about his age! The marriage certificate certainly seems to rule out the Denny one (son of Mary Stirling), but it also implies a birth date of 1836/7 rather than 1831.

So it may well be that the 19-year-old John in 1851 is the 29-year-old in 1861 and the 9-year-old in 1841, but how would one prove it?

If he studied at the University of Aberdeen, he should be listed in the Roll of Graduates, which might even give his father's name and something on his subsequent career. If he was at Edinburgh or Glasgow, you'd need to check with the university archives as there isn't a published list like the Aberdeen one. Unfortunately I do not have access to the Aberdeen one at the moment.

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 06 17:54 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me as though John lied about his age upon marriage and until his father-in-law died (sometime after 1880) and only then was able to come clean about the fact that he was 11 years older than his bride!

You have given me an idea about Aberdeen. I think I had written it off because it was only formally established as a university in 1860 - but I now see that it was an amalgamation of King's College and Marischal College, both of which had medical schools. (And then I'm thinking that would be consistent with the 1851 Fyvie entry for John McGregor - "student at college" rather than "university" but maybe I'm reading too much into that...).

Do you happen to know where or how I can consult the Roll of Graduates for Aberdeen or its predecessor colleges? (I'm in London, if that's of any relevance).

Thank you again for taking the trouble to give me such helpful input.

Anna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 06 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Do you happen to know where or how I can consult the Roll of Graduates for Aberdeen or its predecessor colleges? (I'm in London, if that's of any relevance).
The British Library? It's a set of printed books, so I would imagine the BL would have one.

Failing that, there is a set in Aberdeen Public Library and presumably the University also has copies. You could try contacting the University archives. (Elgin Library has a set but it is in storage and inaccessible at present.)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 06 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, you were absolutely right about the British Library - it had the roll not only for Aberdeen itself but also for both predecessor colleges (though incomplete).  John MacGregor of Cromdale graduated from King's College Aberdeeb with his first degree in 1850 and I believe that is where he is likely to have studied for his M.D. thereafter. It now remains for me to check the medical registers to make sure his subsequent career ties in appropriately.

Thank you, again, for all your help.

Anna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 06 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Glad it was useful  :)

By the way, I would not read anything into the use of the word 'college' as opposed to 'university'.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 06 18:24 GMT (UK) »

By the way, I would not read anything into the use of the word 'college' as opposed to 'university'.

Absolutely - no, it was just that prior to this exchange with you I had drawn a blank at all the Scottish *universities*, and it hadn't previously occurred to me that there were colleges with medical schools too!