Author Topic: MacGregor in Kirkmichael, Banffshire  (Read 19143 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MacGregor in Kirkmichael, Banffshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely - no, it was just that prior to this exchange with you I had drawn a blank at all the Scottish *universities*

The University of Aberdeen was formed by the amalgamation of  Kings College and Marischal College in 1494. There were celebrations in 1994 to mark the 500th anniversary of its founding, so obviously it thinks that it was a university long before the early 19th century :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Bagrie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just belatedly picked up this thread. Sorry!

I have a Margaret  MacGregor born Kirkmichael Banff 1778 to John MacGregor and Ann Stuart. 
Margaret married  my x5 great Grandfather who lived in Drumblade nr. Huntly they had a large farm called Dukewell which is still there. She died in 1855 (so she had one of those super large death certificates). It says that she was 50 years in Drumblade. The undertaker was one of her sons.. William Bagrie??

Interestingly quite a number of my family thereafter were (and indeed still are Doctors.

Offline gregowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been referred to this thread as Malcolm McGregor = Margaret Burges were my 3x gt grandparents. I have been unable to identify John McGregor, visitor to Donald McGregor in 1851 as a family member. Has any progress been made?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 September 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

I see that Robert Macgregor and Elizabeth Stuart had a son John born 2 and baptised 12 April 1831 in Cromdale Inverallan and Advie.

This John would have had his 10th birthday by the date of the 1841 census, but would not quite have had his 20th by the date of the 1851 census, so he should show up there as aged 19.

In the 1841 census they were all at Lower Balmenach, Cromdale, with John aged 10. In the 1851 the parents and some of the siblings were at Lower Balmenach, but John was not.

Robert's age in 1851 was given as 58 and his birthplace as Kirkmichael, Banffshire. So he would have been born 1792/3 if the age in 1851 is accurate.

The IGI doesn't list Robert's baptism, but his death certificate says that his parents were John Macgregor, farmer and meal miller, and Janet Stewart.  So Robert seems to have been Malcolm's brother, making John Macgregor the first cousin of Donald Macgregor.

Does this look as if it makes sense?

It doesn't help with Margaret Macgregor who married the Bagrie, unless Ann on her death certificate is an error for Janet.

On the other hand there is a baptism of Margaret, daughter of John Macgregor and Ann Stuart, in Aberlour on 19 July 1779, so there was indeed a John Macgregor with wife Ann Stuart at the same time as John Macgregor and Janet Stewart.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gregowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 September 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
John s/o Robert McGregor and Elizabeth Stuart became the Rev John McGregor :
Fasti Ecclesiae Scotannae, New Vol 7
Presb. of Chanonry - Knockbain:
"JOHN MACGREGOR, born 1832, son of Robert M., farmer, Cromdale, and Elizabeth Stuart; educated at King's College, Aberdeen; M.A. (March 1854); became missionary in Strathglass in 1859; ord, to Kinlochluichart, 13th May 1861; pres. by the Duchess of Sutherland, Countess of Cromartie; adm. (assistant and successor) 24th Dec 1868; died 4th May 1892. He marr. 29th July 1862, Isabella Kennedy (died 26th April 1914), daugh. of John Noble, min. of Fodderty, and had issue - John Bingham Baring, born 8th Aug. 1863, died abroad; Elizabeth Adeline, born 28th April 1866; Annie Mary, born 4th July 1868, died 16th Dec. 1883."
Robert and Malcolm were brothers. Their sister Margaret remained unmarried as housekeeper to their brother james at Balmenach. Still a mystery then.

Offline Sterna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 October 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
I have to chime in here as I'm looking for my GGG Grandfather John McGregor.  Here's what I know:

John McGregor (13 Oct 1772-21 Aug 1865) married Margaret Cameron.

They had three daughters, I think:  Mary, Anny and Elisabeth.  Mary married Angus McLean in Delvorar Parish, Tomintoul 19 Mar 1835.  In 1836 Angus, Mary and Margaret (and Mary's baby Margaret) emigrated to New York.  John McGregor wrote many letters to Mary--he often mentions Angus's brother John McLean, a gamekeeper.  And Angus's sister Margaret McLean.  And John's brother Robert McGregor (29 Jul 1781-26 July 1846) was mentioned as dying at Laggan of Auchindoun.  John lived at Keppoch in Tomintoul, sometime at Laggan, in 1840 at Doune of Rothiemurchus. 

What I'm looking for are descendants of these McLeans, McGregors or Camerons that might still be around Tomintoul.  And possible pedigree for John--his parents were James McGregor & Margaret Riach.

Cordially,

Jeff
McLean, McGregor, Riach, Cameron in or near Tomintoul, Kirkmichael, Banff

Offline Minnie Mouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 October 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
I have to chime in here as I'm looking for my GGG Grandfather John McGregor.  Here's what I know:

John McGregor (13 Oct 1772-21 Aug 1865) married Margaret Cameron.

They had three daughters, I think:  Mary, Anny and Elisabeth.  Mary married Angus McLean in Delvorar Parish, Tomintoul 19 Mar 1835.  In 1836 Angus, Mary and Margaret (and Mary's baby Margaret) emigrated to New York.  John McGregor wrote many letters to Mary--he often mentions Angus's brother John McLean, a gamekeeper.  And Angus's sister Margaret McLean.  And John's brother Robert McGregor (29 Jul 1781-26 July 1846) was mentioned as dying at Laggan of Auchindoun.  John lived at Keppoch in Tomintoul, sometime at Laggan, in 1840 at Doune of Rothiemurchus. 

What I'm looking for are descendants of these McLeans, McGregors or Camerons that might still be around Tomintoul.  And possible pedigree for John--his parents were James McGregor & Margaret Riach.

Cordially,

Jeff

Offline Minnie Mouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 October 14 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I wish to email you about the John McGregor and Margaret Cameron. I am new and it says not to put my email on the  site..
I am interested in the Mary that married Angus and went to New York. My own line of McGregor was at Little falls New York. I have a few of Mary and Angus kids and where they went. I think one line came to Ontario. Thanks in advance, Annie

Offline Jeff McLean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 October 14 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie--

Subsequent research seems to suggest that John McGregor and Margaret Cameron didn't actually marry.  Mary McGregor McLean was likely born out of wedlock--John had three other daughters with two other women.  Complicated.  I know for sure that Angus McLean and Mary's kids dispersed around the US--none of them, I think, got to Canada except briefly.  Rev. John McLean went to Ohio:  Alexander McLean stayed in upstate New York, as did their sisters Christine and Margaret.  Rev Robert McLean and Rev. Eneas McLean traveled widely, evangelizing.

My GGF Rev. Robert's personal history says that Angus, Mary, Margaret Cameron and baby Margaret traveled with Angus's "brother Alexander and far larger family emigrated in 1836 as well."  Angus himself died around 1853 in California.  Gold rush.

Cheers

Jeff
jdm at drizzle dot com
Port Townsend, Washington, USA