Author Topic: McGRORY/McRORY - Irish Connections?  (Read 3898 times)

Offline pmcrory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGRORY/McRORY - Irish Connections?
« on: Tuesday 21 February 06 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Researching the McGrory/McRory family from Donegal.  I'm trying to find a link between these and the Scottish McGrorys, who seem to be around the Paisley/Glasgow areas. 

I'm particularly keen to trace the family links between the two countries; when did they come from Ireland?  Who came over?  I have an extensive tree from the Donegal side, but just can't link it to Scotland.  Can anyone help?

Paul

Offline kargil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McGRORY/McRORY - Irish Connections?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 06 02:12 GMT (UK) »
hi- I am a McGroary and have just started on this 'line' but find out that somewhere along the way my name was McGrory?
I have traced it back to (only tonight) a Michael McGrory - a farmer - who married a Mary Lang. Both from Ireland. They lived in Maryhill Glasgow. Their son, also Michael, got married 1904 and was down as McGrory but when HIS son was married in 1923 the name had become McGroary??
Can't seem to get into any BMD's for Ireland to continue my search?
Stanley,Bentley,Zebedee in Calne,Chippenham or York

Offline emse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
I also have been researching the McGrory's.  I live in the USA.  My great grandmother was Rose Anne McGrory born in 1861 in Linwood, Renfrewshire. Her parents were James McGory and Mary McQuade. They both were born in Northern Ireland according to the Scottish 1871 Census and the Rhode Island Census in USA. It apprears they must have immigrated to Scotland between 1858 and 1861.  Their oldest daughter, Alice, was born in Ireland in 1858. Rose Anne was born in Scotland about 1861. Other children, John, Edward, William and Mary all born in Scotland all imigrated to Rhode Island. Alice is the only one I can't find anywhere.  I assume she staid in Scotland.
Rose Anne married John Patrick Sharpe (my dad's father's parents) around 1884. they had two children, James Joseph and Edward A. born in Paisley before immigrating to Rhode Island around 1888.  Hope this helps you.

Offline emse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I ran out of room.  I can't find any evidence of John Patrick Sharpe or Rose Anne McGrory's life together in Scotland.  They got married and immigrated between 1881 ansd 1891 Census.I have nothing at all on John other than after he and Rose immigrated to Rhode Island.  These are the names of the other McGrory children: John, Edward, William and Mary.
I hope this helps you.....Ellen

James McGrory was born about 1836 in Northern Ireland
Mary McQuade was born about 1839 in Northern Ireland

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't think I can help you with your link from Ireland to Scotland, but I too have McGrory ancestors from Donegal.
My Great Grandfather was born in Pettigo, Donegal, in 1872 to his parents John and Elizabeth Young.
John and Elizabeth had several children between 1855 and 1873 all born around the Pettigo area. The first was Mary Ann, then Daniel, James/Francis? Sarah, Bridget, John and Catherine.
My Great Grandfather John moved to Armagh at some time before 1901 and then to Johnstone, Renfrewshire, Scotland, shortly after 1911. For some reason he slightly changed his name to McGrorey between 1901 and 1911.
I wonder if there is a link to the other McGrory's who moved to Scotland??
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.