28 (16.5%)
Would you include the meet as part of your Irish holiday - No
6 (3.5%)
Should the Meet be one day
14 (8.2%)
Should it be Fri. evening to Sun. lunch
25 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Irish Meet Considering 2007  (Read 28984 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Meet Considering 2007
« Reply #90 on: Monday 10 April 06 04:15 BST (UK) »
Well I am near Dublin and would Love to meet up here, I wasn't able to get over to UK for last years meet or this one... :'(

anything I can do let me know

Mo

Hello Mo,

Thank you for your message.

There are a couple of immediate problems..

1) How do we go about finding all the Rootschat members living in Ireland  ??? We need as many as possible to attend the event. It is difficult to know the location of members who omit mentioning their whereabouts on their profiles. 

2) Accommodation. This may not be necessary as regards where people sleep at night. Probably many people will make their own arrangements in that respect but as the list of those attending gets lengthier we may have to consider booking places where we can have meetings and possibly evening functions. It is quite possible this could prove to be a real headache. We need to look at the question of the lastest dates we can book possible venues. I doubt we could start phoning the day before one is required.

All the Best,

Chris

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 10 April 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ticker,

What acreage is your Slight Mound Covered in Grass Now! It is near to Dublin isn't it ??? Would it be worthwhile including it in a list of tours available when the proposed Irish Meet takes place ??? Will you have got your lawnmower and cut the grass by then ??? If the place is overgrown with grass it might not be worthwhile organising a tour to such a site unless you would like an organised work party to make the place neat and tidy :D

All the Best, Chris

Hi Chris

Yes - the site is near Dublin.  Its in Tymon Park itself which is in South Dublin I think.  Moscan has very kindly helped me with researching the place.  Seriously I would love to visit the site if it fits in with the itinerary. 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 10 April 06 18:02 BST (UK) »
That should be no problem Ticker. I do have a problem..how does one find all Irish Rootschat members without reading hundreds of profiles.   Chris 

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 10 April 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
Well I am near Dublin and would Love to meet up here, I wasn't able to get over to UK for last years meet or this one... :'(

anything I can do let me know

Mo

Hello Mo,

Thank you for your message.

There are a couple of immediate problems..

1) How do we go about finding all the Rootschat members living in Ireland  ??? We need as many as possible to attend the event. It is difficult to know the location of members who omit mentioning their whereabouts on their profiles. 

2) Accommodation. This may not be necessary as regards where people sleep at night. Probably many people will make their own arrangements in that respect but as the list of those attending gets lengthier we may have to consider booking places where we can have meetings and possibly evening functions. It is quite possible this could prove to be a real headache. We need to look at the question of the lastest dates we can book possible venues. I doubt we could start phoning the day before one is required.

All the Best,

Chris

Hi again Chris

I think this planned event has enough interest now to ensure a reasonable turnout with enough warning.  I don't think it matters who lives where - we should just advertise the event and see who wants to go.  I will be hoping Dublin is selected as I am more interested in that area (see previous ramblings!) and I can fly there for about 7p from Leeds Bradford.  ;)

Accommodation should be fairly easy to organise on an individual basis if we keep away from the main holiday times shouldn't it?

I think we (you  ;) ) need to decide the location (Dublin or Belfast) based on the poll and then give a range of dates for people to decide from.  It will hopefully then take on a life of its own!  If we are talking about 2007 it would be sensible to leave any decisions until after the summer I would have thought.

Thanks for keeping the interest going.  ;)

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline Sparkle26

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 10 April 06 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I would love to go to this meet in Ireland just let me know when & where

Claire   :)
Connell Boon Favell Patchett Hinch Hutton Markham Calvert Codd Scullion Linton Martin Coupland Daniel
Day Cook Pepperdine West And many many more

ALL CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 15 April 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message of support posted on Monday Ticker. Happy Easter to you.
Sarah mentioned that a banner about the Irish Meet 2007 could be shown at the top of the home page so that more people could learn about the event. Membership stands at almost 30,000 so a very small percentage is showing interest in the event at the moment. Would it be too early for a banner to raise some more interest???  Dublin..June, July or August next year Those seem to be the best months. That would mean people in UK and Ireland who have children will be able to bring them too. Would it be a better idea to run the poll, decide upon a specific month and then have the banner on the home page to raise more interest ???

A small one day event in Belfast this year at the end of July, last Saturday as Steve suggested. Meet at Linenhall Library..they have a small self service area so a we could have cuppa and a look round..then lunch somewhere and at 2.00pm have a tour round the City Hall before going to the Ulster Museum for an hour or so. 
I suppose there should be a thread for the one day event and a poll to see whether people prefer June, July or August in Dublin next year.

All the Best, Chris

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 15 April 06 09:28 BST (UK) »
Sounds super,

I do not fly (apart from the broomstick) so it would be car for me Holyhead to wherever, can't remember, but I have been before.

Anyone interested in going from the Norfolkish area by car for a week?

Jakky.
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 15 April 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
Happy Easter to you.

Happy Easter to you too Chris.  ;)

My personal view is that its a bit early yet to be advertising an event thats over a year off - but I may be wrong.   The poll you set up has identified Dublin as the location - perhaps you now need to organise a poll (if you don't mind) to firm up on a date.  It may be that people would prefer it to be sooner (I would!) and then we could start the advertising/organising in earnest.  What do you think?

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 15 April 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ticker,

Are you thinking of June, July or August this year?

Chris