Author Topic: Missing surname and other complications!  (Read 15527 times)

Offline Wing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Missing surname and other complications!
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, its ordered! Ian
Johnstone(Rutland), Hubbard(Northamptonshire,Hunts), Chandler (Beds and Herts), Walker(Beds), Edings(Clophill), Carter(Beds), Wilson(Beds), Wooding(Beds), Read(Hunts), Kirby(Northants)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Let us know what you finds out :D
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Wing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Will do jana. By the way, I used to go to school with a Farr in Bedford and also work with another one. He came from Stevington.
Johnstone(Rutland), Hubbard(Northamptonshire,Hunts), Chandler (Beds and Herts), Walker(Beds), Edings(Clophill), Carter(Beds), Wilson(Beds), Wooding(Beds), Read(Hunts), Kirby(Northants)

Offline Wing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 February 06 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all. Birth cert for Edward Chandler,b: 18 3 1902, 16 Dane St, Bedford. father, Albert Chandler, Fruit hawker, Mother LOUISA Chandler, formerly FORNEY.
1901 census has them living at this same address Arthur age 34, Louisa age 22, Alice age 1 and Alfred age 2 months.
 Now the fun starts trying to find Louisa before that date and finding her parents names. Records office at Bedford did a Look-up for their marriage cert yesterday but found nothing locally so have given me the form to apply to GRO for this.
 As to the ref of Charles Forney in this thread, living in Tottenham 1891,age 26...i need to find out..could this be Louisa's brother?
 Another question, Is it possible to find out the names and birthdates of children born after the 1901 census to certain parents if the amount of children and their names are not known? I cant think of a way but would appreciate your input. Thanks again for all your help and advice on this topic. Ian

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 February 06 11:45 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Albert and louisa is on Freebmd with the GRO reference. Just order it online - you'll get her father's name and occupation from that.

I would wait until you get that before chasing too much after Charles - you may be on a complete wild goose chase. You could try looking up his marriage which won't cost anything, so that if necessary you could order his marriage cert as well at some stage to see if he had the same father. Was Charles around in 1881 - you can look that up on www.familysearch.org.. He might be with a father.

After 1901 when you have the census to help, the GRO index is just that - an index. You'll get the names of Chandlers born in Bedford registration district but that's all. If you want useful information, like names of parents, you have to buy the certificate. You can cut down the cost by specifying the GRO should only send the cert if the parents are Albert and Louisa but that's still going to cost you three quid if it's not. If it's right it'll be seven quid. You can glean information from the index if the name isn't too common - how many Chandlers are there born in Bedford 1901-1910?

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 February 06 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello both

I had a quick look for FORNEYs in earlier censuses - nothing looked too promising.  There were a few FORNI of Swiss origin though not yours.

Would it not be possible to talk to Bedfordshire Register Office about children born after 1901?  I know some ROs are more helpful than others, but nothing lost if they can't help you.

Please let us know how you get on!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Wing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 February 06 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I did ask Bedfrod RO yesteday and all they said was that the same information is available to me as it is to them, which I didnt really understand.
 I have revisited the World Tree again with the Albert and Louisa Marraige on it and I think the percson who did that tree is way off base with the names and years. He has taken an Albert in London with an unknown Louisa wife and found mine and adopted them. They have the wrong ages, address and children so I have discounted his theory's.
 Not sure what you mean y the cost of £3.00 at the GRO bedfordshire boy? Can you please explain. Thanks for the family search site, havnt come across that one before.
 While at records office yesterday, they had a phone call from someone who is looking at the same names as I am. We didnt know about each other before and now I have a totally new family starting with second cousins all over the place. Work, Work, Work...isnt life great! Ian J

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 February 06 12:06 GMT (UK) »
OK maybe we should put Bedford on the "not helpful" list?

You should be able to consult parish records there though, depending on what dates have been deposited.

Great news on the new rellie!  Very exciting!   :D

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 February 06 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian
When ordering likely certificates you can say only send if parents are Albert and Louisa - if they are they charge £7 for sending the certificate, but if not they charge £3 for the lookup. Depends how many Chandlers born in Bedford as to how expensive that would work out. Shame Bedford Register Office aren't that helpful - the Records Office is fantastic.

Think Charles Forney is likley to turn out a brother to Louisa but as David said first you need the marriage cert. Charles is not in England in 1881.

Let us know what you find
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge