Author Topic: Lookup please  (Read 2836 times)

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lookup please
« on: Wednesday 22 February 06 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Please could a kind person see if there is a John A Macey listed, he was born in 1875 in Crundale, Kent and I think he died in 1916 and is buried in Cairo. He was a Serjeant with the Royal Army Medical Corps, I am hoping to go to Kew to view his and quite a few other medal cards relating to my family.

Many thanks,
millerina
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 19:37 GMT (UK) »
hiya millerina,this is the best i can do for you.
sgt john,austin macey
No 11
RAMC south eastern mounted brigade,field ambulance
died 7-6-16 in egypt
born crundale
enlisted margate
lived margate
buried cairo war memorial cemetary
grave ref F.90
the CWGC says he died on the 6-6-16,he could have died on the evening of the 6th and his death was not recorded till the following day??
if ime guessing right,he was aged about 41 when he died,his wife was called kate,children,kate jnr,fred,lilian and rhoda,he was a baker by trade.
does any of this match your info.
ps,he died of sickness/disease
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SDGW lookup please
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 19:40 GMT (UK) »
mill i forgot,hes a territorial and i think he was already in the army before the war
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:lookup please
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 06 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Mack,

Thanks very much for looking that up, and that is the right family that you have found, Lilian was my Great Grandmother, and they all lived in Margate, where he was a baker. I didn't know he died of sickness/disease, I had always assumed he had died of wounds, poor man. I wonder what made him join the army, having been a baker? I had a suspicion that he had been in the army before the war, so thanks for confirming that.

Thanks again,
millerina
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 06 08:55 GMT (UK) »
mill,he could carry on his trade and still serve in the army,the territorials are part time soldiers,mack

Offline ssdaffy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
mill i forgot,hes a territorial and i think he was already in the army before the war
mack
I think he may well be my great great grandfather if His daughter Rhoda married a Charles Butcher in Crundale SS

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: lookup please
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 April 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
sgt 11 john austen macey
enlisted 1st april 1908[appointed lance corporal same day]
aged 33
RAMC
occupation journeyman baker for messrs franklin
religion,CofE
resided 23 setterfield rd,margate
mobilised on 5-8-14
posted to 1/1st field ambulance
promoted corporal 14-5-14
promoted sgt 14-9-14
went to egypt on 24-9-15
sent to gallipoli 7-10-15
returned to egypt[alexandra]from lemnos on 5-2-16 on the SS caledonia
17-5-16 admitted to the field ambulance[sick]later sent to the 27th gen hospital,alexandra,died of thrombosis of the veins on 6-6-16.

personal effects sent to his widow
wallet
letters
photos
2 military cooking manuals
3 pipes
tobacco pouch
ID disc
razor strop
razor
dentures
pocket book
knife
watch+chain[3keys+charm]
purse
cuff links

mack

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 May 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
John Austen Macey was born to Rhoda Macey.  He was born out of wedlock. Rhoda Macey later married Charles Butcher who was the father. When he married Kate Wraight in 1895 his name appears as John Austin B Macey. On the 1881  and 1891 census he is listed as John A Butcher. By 1901 he had reverted to Macey. He was my 2nd cousin twice removed.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Please could a kind person see if there is a John A Macey listed, he was born in 1875 in Crundale, Kent and I think he died in 1916 and is buried in Cairo. He was a Serjeant with the Royal Army Medical Corps, I am hoping to go to Kew to view his and quite a few other medal cards relating to my family.

Many thanks,
millerina
I suspect that all you will be allowed to see at Kew are the digitised images of the cards - which you can do anywhere with access to an Ancestry subscription (eg most public libraries).
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk