Author Topic: Purcell - Muckalee  (Read 23013 times)

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Purcell - Muckalee
« on: Thursday 23 February 06 04:23 GMT (UK) »
I trying to find James Purcell and Margaret Brennan and their family. I know of 4 brothers, Tobias b 1806, Thomas b 1807, Phillip b 1807 & Michael b 1823. They were all born in Muckalee. Tobias married  Bridget Bourke in 1828, Phillip married Julia Lacey in 1842, Thomas married Elizabeth Maher in 1836. I think these 3 brothers married in Muckalee and Michael married Mary Gorman in Australia. All brothers immigrated  to Australia. My question is, are there any other children of James Purcell and Margaret Brennan? How do I go about finding this information or anything about this family?
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline rebecca florence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Purcell - Muckalee
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
I am tracing Tobias ( Toby) Purcell and Bridget Bourke (burk ).  Do you have anything on them or further back.  They had 5 children Catherine, John, Mary, Ellen and James.

I have information on John Purcell and forward.

thank you

Neil

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 10 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
I have some info on the Purcell family. Need to know what you want to know. There were actually six children. Margaret was the first born. Personal message me your email address and I will contact you through there. I descend from Tobias's brother Michael.
Regards Lisa
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline apricot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can help.  GGGGrandfather Tobias Purcell died in Launceston, aged 84 in June 1884.  His daughter was Elizabeth and a Catherine Purcell signed her marriage certificate.  In the death notice it stated that Tobias was a farmer, formerly of Trantham, Victoria.  I know Elizabeth was Irish.  So, my query is, is he the Tobias Purcell convict tried in Carlow came out on the convict ship kinnear in 1842.  Or is this the Tobias Purcell who died in Victoria 1876 aged 70.  Unfortunately, one convict record states the convict as age 38 the other at age 30. 

Thanks
Caroline

Offline mel10

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 September 10 02:57 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather was Tobias Purcell of Kempsey NSW, born1890. His father was John Purcell born 1860, Redfern Sydney married to Margaret Smyth . His father was Tobias Purcell born 1837 Muckalee co. Kilkenny married to Ann Ryan Sydney 1921 who was born in Tipperary1838. Tobias' father was John Purcell born Muckalee 1811. John was married to Bridget Nolan born 1813. John's father was James Purcell born 1790 Muckalee married to Margaret ? born1791.

I presume all the other Purcells who have emigrated to Australia from Muckalee are connected. Does anyone have more information about John Purcell 1811 and James Purcell 1790? Also, what is the significance of the name Tobias which appears through a number of branches of the family?  Is the Purcell family still dominant in Muckalee?
Thanks Mel

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa, Neil, Caroline and Mel,

I am researching Purcell/Quinn/Leonard/Darcy in Muckalee and St Johns, Kilkenny.

I can’t link your Purcell family to mine as I have only just started research into this family, however, as we go along we may find a connection. I have been fortunate to have had a lot of help with searching Irish records and finding resources etc, from Pastmagic and Shane147 which may prove valuable to you too. See this link:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,484689.0.html

Mel, Lisa and Neil, when did your Purcell family immigrate to Australia and do you know the name of the ship that they travelled on?

My 2xgreat grandparents, Patrick and Margaret Quinn and family settled in Newcastle NSW after arriving in 1854 (they married in Muckalee in 1853). Patrick’s mother or grandmother (I am yet to sort this out as I have conflicting information), was Catherine Purcell, born c1794 or c1773. It would be great to find a link.

Margaret :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline mel10

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 10 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
My branch of the Purcell's seem to have arrived in Australia either in 1858 or 1859. There is some confusion as there is another Tobias Purcell who arrived on the Parsee in September 1859 he is not my Tobias as he brought children with him. My Tobias married Ann Ryan at St Mary's Church Sydney in 1859 and had a son John my great Grandfather in Redfern in 1860. The confusion arises because the different branches of the family are constantly using the same names. I am trying to find information about Tobias's father John Purcell (1811 Muckalee) who was married to Bridget Nolan (1813) and John's father James(1790 Muckalee) married to Margaret (1791) perhaps Margaret Brennan.

Mel

Offline Lyn44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 November 10 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi - My ancestor was Michael Purcell b 1834 in Kilkenny - Tobias' brother.   Michael's parents were John Purcell and Bridget Nolan who also came to Australia in 1853 on board the "Talavera".   The only information I have is according to the shipping records is that John's parents were James Purcell who was alive in 1853 and Margaret who had died earlier.   Would love to help with more information.

Offline nicolap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 May 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

new to this - but i am wondering if you can help me - i have found out my great great grand father name is Tobias Purcell born in Kilkenny in 1875 and his children were James Richard Mary but they were all born in dublin when census taken 1911. They had a Patt Verling living with them orginially from Kilkenny too can anyone help me go further back. He was a greyhound trainer like my grandad James.