Author Topic: 10 out of 10 to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and also the Royal Navy  (Read 12376 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: 10 out of 10 to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 February 06 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Mary, did you realise you can request the photo on the british war graves site, they have loads of photos from the Rheinberg war cemetary and lots of the royal air force volunteer reserve, there are also quite a view volunteers in Germany.

I would imagine they have someone with access because there are over 280 photos from there.

Think its worth a try.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 February 06 19:40 GMT (UK) »

Thought you might be interested in this for the Boer War

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 February 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Newbie, Thank you for thinking of me, it would be a long way out of your way so don't unless you happen to be near, I'm sure something is going to come my way  :)

Annie, that looks like another good site, wonderful for anybody whose ancestors died in France and Belgium, I can see how useful it will be as it develops.

I've received an acknowledgement and my enquiry is being passed to the Enquiries Section to be dealt with as soon as possible.  Hopefully soon I will have some news as to whether they do assist in this way.  I'll let you know.

Gosh this thread has grown fast, I posted my reply too fast,

Kev I didn't know, I just checked the database for photographs and mine wasn't there, thanks for the info.  282 pictures out of more than 3000, they are doing well.

Rather than put two people to any trouble I'll wait and see what the CWGC have to say since I've alread posted to them, and if there's a delay then I'll try the British War Graves site with a request.

Like Ken I'd have no problem giving a donation for somebody to do me the favour and towards the upkeep of these beautiful cemeteries.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 February 06 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I have to say that I agree with everything that has been said here. I think the CWGC commission do a wonderful job!

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 February 06 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh Annie,
what a wonderful site that is!!  Thanks for telling us about it. I just wish I had some pictures I could contribute. I have a relative who is buried at Croisilles and another who is (probably) commemorated at Tyne Cott, but I don't have the relevant photos. If only...

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 February 06 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Oops, I'm talking about the silent cities site
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 February 06 09:57 GMT (UK) »
you can all have pictures of your ancestors ww1+ww2 graves,my mates on the great war forum are happy to take pictures for you,merely post who you are looking for,if anyone is visiting the cemetary,they will gladly do it for you,the CWGC dont take photos,but if one of their reps are going to a particular cemetary,they will do it for free,out of courtesy,brilliant people,if you have any questions about the CWGC,then give terry denham a shout on the great war forum,he works for them,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 February 06 10:04 GMT (UK) »
ken,you may find a picture of your rellie in the m/c papers,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 February 06 10:57 GMT (UK) »
you can all have pictures of your ancestors ww1+ww2 graves,my mates on the great war forum are happy to take pictures for you,merely post who you are looking for,if anyone is visiting the cemetary,they will gladly do it for you,the CWGC dont take photos,but if one of their reps are going to a particular cemetary,they will do it for free,out of courtesy,brilliant people,if you have any questions about the CWGC,then give terry denham a shout on the great war forum,he works for them,mack

I know you are all lovely people Mack, and I'd love you to bits if you gave me the link to your Great War Forum  :-* :-*

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)