Author Topic: Seaforth Highlanders  (Read 17247 times)

Offline spook

• RootsChat Member
  • Zipping up my boots, I'm going back to my roots!
    • View Profile
Re: Seaforth Highlanders
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 15:24 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating read - I'm chuffed to bits for you, nice one!  :)
Naylor - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Watts - Sheffield

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
garen,everything matches up,i think you are spot on,thats a great piece of research,well done,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
Good stuff all round!
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 May 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Just thought i would update on my infomation.
Thanks to Garen i found my G Grandfather's military history. I then found his place of birth and now have also gone on to find his parents and both sets of his grandparents. I also know all his brother's and sister's.
I am now one very happy lady. Thank you all,
Vanda
I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 February 13 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garen and others

Thank you for your correspondence. I was searching for a Sgt David Menzies, who according to the 1881 Census was in the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders and at Fort George. As he remained in the army until his death in 1906, he may likewise be in this photo of sergeants.

I have sent a private message. I would like to now if his name appears below the photo, and how to get a copy "quickly" as we have a reunion 30 March 2013 in Australia.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 February 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith

Thanks for your query. I'm afraid that the name Menzies does not appear on the picture of the 72nd sergeants. The photo was taken at Parkhurst in 1882 - the 72nd had only just returned from Egypt, arriving in Portsmouth at the end of October and the start of November in that year. If David was at Fort George in 1881 then it seems he was not placed with the service battalion at that time.

Are you certain he was with the 72nd? There is a service record for a David Menzies, born about 1845/46 who was a Colour Sergeant in the 71st Foot in 1881 - he transferred to the Highland Light Infantry in July. His father was Robert Menzies and he married a Mary Blaney in 1886.

Best wishes - Garen
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 February 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Garen

Yes, that is him. His father was Robert Menzies of Kerrowmore, Innerwick, Glen Lyon.

I will look at your reply to get the service record.

Regards,

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 February 13 12:28 GMT (UK) »

Hi Garen

I checked the 1881 Census and it said that David Menzies was the Colour Sergeant 55 B.D. at Fort George. It sounds like B.D. stands for Brigade Depot.

Then, I just found this:

In April 1873 under the "Linked Regiments Depot System" the 78th Highlanders were linked with the 71st Highland Light Infantry at 55 Brigade Depot, Fort George.

In 1881 it was amalgamated with 72nd Highlanders forming the 2nd Battalion of The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs).

I have asked another who has membership with your link Findmypast to see what they can find for me on his record.

Of all my research into our Menzies Clan, he is the first that I will be able to chase military records for.

It was written that '"Old Culdares" (Sir James Menzies the 4th. of Culdares & Meggernie who did not participate at Culloden) gave the Innerwick Inn and tenant farm to clan for services as the piper to his officer son'. His officer son would have been Archibald Menzies the 5th. of Culdares, and my ancestor was Archibald Menzies who married in 1761 and took over the inn. Therefore was his father the piper or was my ancestor the illegit of Archibald Menzies the 5th. The Innerwick Inn, on the Culdares Estate stayed in our Menzies family off and on until 1925. My Archibald Menzies was the grandfather of this David Menzies. Maybe he continued in the military as we have never found his death in Glen Lyon. We are holding a Menzies Clan Ceilidh and reunion in Aus next month, so I was just trying to cover as many of the relatives as I can.

regards,

Keith (Australia)

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 05 October 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I have been following the posts on the Seaforth Highlanders and the activity in North West Frontier. It has been most interesting to see how pieces of the jigsaw all come together to provide a clear picture of the person. On the death of a relative our family has come across a medal issued in 1908 for Indian General Service medal 1908 with North West Frontier on clasp. It was issued to a D McKay. Since we are Mackays (varied spelling) we suspect it is from a relative but who?  Donald would be most likely however we are unsure. the number associated with it is 8851. Which are the best sites to get more info about this soldier. He served with the 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders.
Any help appreciated.  Thanks