Author Topic: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All  (Read 106243 times)

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mott/motte/motts
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
Great little story about a Mott(s) becoming Mayor in New York, Shame I cannot verify it ! Unfortunately I don't have any info on that - I have a total of 58 Mott's (so far) that were born in Stockport, but no indication on any that even emigrated, never mind becoming Mayor.

No, I'm not directly related to the Mott's - I married one !!! Started her tree along with mine back in 1980, decided that a one-name study on Mott's might be a good idea, and 24 years later am still compiling the names & dates
both on index cards and trying to get all of it onto a database. Managed just over 15,000 so far, so still about another 10,000 to go !!
 Keeps me out of the pubs, and away from the dreadful TV rubbish.
All the best,
Fred
Mott; Mote; Motts; Moat; Moate; Moats etc.

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Fred

You may be able to help me with members of my family i am currently trying to find out about Charles William Mott he married Annie Louisa Ridges i belive this took place some time between 1901 and  1907 between the Census and the birth of my Grandfather Arthur Charles Mott. I suspect he was born about 1880-1885. In 1907 they were living in Whitehorse Road in Croydon.

Any help you can offer will be gratefully received

Douglas Mott

[/Hi Douglas,
Thanks for the query. I can only tell you a little about the names you gave me.
The Charles William MOTT you asked about - he was born 1883 June qtr 2a.238 Croydon.
As you say, he married Annie Louisa RIDGES 1906 Sept qtr 2a.692 Croydon.
Their first born was Arthur Charles 1907 June qtr 2a.302 Croydon.
A request for a certificate for Charles William, using the birth reg. I've quoted, will take you (and me !) back another step, in which case I may then have more info on file to help you.
Would you care to allow me info on the remainder of the descendants ??
Best wishes,
Fred

Offline el_watty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Very interested in your Mott research - my mother-in-law was a Mott (I'm pulling together my husband's family history for both parents).

They were an East Sussex line, with a sprinkling of smugglers.  We've got back to Jesse Mott (b. 1863) but no further as yet.

Are you able to help?  I may be able to fill in some more recent gaps for you, perhaps?

Lisa

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 October 04 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Jesse Mott .
He was the son of Hannah - I do not know yet if she was a married MOTT or if she was a single woman. From the issue she had I must assume she was maried.
She was born circa 1833 in East Dean, and was the mother of

William         born 1860 March qtr 2b 55 Eastbourne
                            Jesse           born 1863 June qtr 2b 56        "   "
                  Henry George        born 1865 ?  (His birth not registered?)
                Elizabeth Mary         born 1872 June qtr 2b 41  Battle

In the 1881 census Hannah was "Aged 47 years. A Widow."
Her address was - Little Common, Bexhill. The four children were all with her.

William was "Aged 21 years. Unmarried. Labourer."
Jesse was "Aged 18 years. Unmarried. Labourer."
Henry George was "Aged 15 years. Labourer."
Elizabeth Mary was "Aged 9 years. Scholar."

Jesse married a Caroline in 1890 December qtr 2b.93 Battle - I'm sorry I do not know her surname. His address in 1915 was "Kiln Bank, Little Common, Bexhill."  I know this because Jesse and Caroline had a son, Jesse, born 1892
March qtr 2b 48 Battle.
Young Jesse was killed in action in France & Flanders on Sunday 26th September 1915 when he was aged 24 years.
He was a Lance Corporal, Number G/6229, 8th Bn. The Buffs (East Kent Regt).
His name is on the Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.
Did Jesse and Caroline had any other children ?  I do not yet know. Maybe you can help fill in some more gaps for me??
Best wishes,
Fred

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 October 04 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Many,many thanks for the information that you posted,it's a lot more than I had expected. ;D

So you'll be away for three weeks? that should give me enough time to take in the info you have given me,compare notes, and get back to you. :)

Enjoy your DIY :-\ 

Best wishes,Mick ;)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Dodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Mott family originate from wootton / Sunningwell area of Berkshire :-

John Mott (born c 1811 Wootton Berks) married Mary Dorman in 1837 Sutton Courtenay Berks, their children :-

Esther (born 1838) married william Absolom
Charles (born 1840) married Elizabeth Lyford
James Mott (born 1841) married Ann Dawson

Mary mott (Dorman) must have died between 1841-47 as john got married again in 1847 Sunningwell to Hannah Whale, (she already having 2 children) they had a son -
Henry Mott ( born 1853 Sunningwell) married Martha Dawson

Charles ,Esther, James and Henry moved with their families up to North Riding Yorks 1871-1881,as they are all on 1881 census living in Liverton/Skinningrove areas,working in Ironstone mine industry.

Do you have any information on this Mott family from Berkshire?, especially anything on John Mott / Mary Dormans ancestors, as I have come to a halt

Thanks
Dodger

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 November 04 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dodger,
Thanks for the query. Sorry about the delay in replying, but I've been away from home for four weeks, and had a very busy week since I returned.
John Mott of Berkshire
John wed Mary Dorman 02 September 1837 in Sutton Courtenay - their marriage reg is 1837 Sept qtr 6.163 Abingdon.
As you said, they had three children, Ester, Charles, & James.
Wife Mary died 1844 Dec qtr 6.91 Abingdon.
John remarried to Hannah Whale on 07 October 1847 - Dec qtr 6.257 Abingdon.
You say that they had one child, Henry, born 1853. I do not have any Henry born in that year. My info is that they had three children -
               John           ca 1848 (not in GRO)
              Sarah A            1851 Dec qtr 6.143 Abingdon
ORSarah              1851 Dec qtr 6.153 Abingdon
               Henry              1855 Jun qtr 2c.248 Abingdon

There is a query as to which of the two Sarah's is the right one - I know they did have one child of that name.
You say that Henry married a Martha Dawson - I don't have that on his card but will check through the database when I get off Rootschat.
Going back to the issue of John & Mary Dorman, as you say Ester married William Absolom. They wed 04 February 1866 Abingdon.
Charles 1840 was in fact born 1839 Dec qtr 6.117 Abingdon. I wasn't aware that he had married Elizabeth Lyford, so thanks for that.
James 1841 was born 1842 Dec qtr 6.120 Abingdon. As you said, he married Ann Dawson. That was in 1866 Sept qtr 2c.472 Abingdon. Do you have the issue for him - they had nine children. I guess you already have the 1881 and 1901 census for him? Were Martha Dawson & Ann Dawson related ??
John 1811 died/buried 24 July 1862 - Sept qtr 2c.149 Abingdon
Wife Hannah died/buried 12 August 1861 - Sept qtr 2c.154 Abingdon.

Now then - going back to John 1811 & his parents. That's a tricky one !!
I have on file a John, baptised 27 October 1811 in Wootton, a son of John & Ann (CHAMP). He was brother to Mary 1798; James 1800; Sarah 1802; Ann 1804; Rhoda 1807; William 1809; & Charlotte 1817. That is from the Parish Registers.
Father John was baptised 05 April 1778 in Cumnor. He was the son of Thomas & Elizabeth (CARTER), and brother to Elizabeth 1770; Ann 1772; Jane 1772; & Mary 1781. He married Ann Champ 10 October 1812 in Wootton,
& I am for the present assuming that this John is the correct ancestry line behind John 1811, and that this John 1811 is the same one as wed Mary Dorman.
Thomas who wed Elizabeth Carter, I assume came from Cumnor but possibly not.  He wed Elizabeth Carter 07 January 1770. I believe he died circa 1800, and his wife died circa 1808. These details came from the LDS Files, number FHL 1279456, followed up by the LDS Vital Records.
Hope some of the above is of use to you,
Fred

Offline muttleyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 November 04 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome back i just want to thank you for your help with Charles William Mott i recieved his certificate whic gave me his parents Charles and Annie Ridley, i am currently waiting for their marriage certificate to go back next step.

to see current list of descendants you can visit http://cgi.mottfamily.plus.com/genealogy/index.php

Many thanks for again for your help and if you have can be of any further assistance i will be grateful

Doug
Bavin, Copsey, Dainton, Gubbins, Mott, Moss, Morley, Ridges

Offline jackie walker

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 January 05 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred

Wonder if you have any Mott's from Stockport in the 1900's looking for an Avis Mott or (Avice), but if you have any would be interested in them.

Jackie