Author Topic: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All  (Read 106161 times)

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 19:39 BST (UK) »
THis just caught my attention because on of the names in that last postings was a Robert Pretoria.  My grandmother was born in Halifax and was named Mabel Pretoria.  I always thought it must have been because my great grandfather was thinking of emigrating to South Africa.  Having seen this and since he was born in the same year as my grandmother, I assume something big must have been going on in Pretoria, South Africa.

A bit of useless information but I thought I would pass it on.
Sharleen
Brough, Dewar, Aitken, Cairns, Hudson - Scotland-Australia/South Africa
Gatenby, Spink, Nolan - Yorkshire/South Africa
Lane - Manchester/South Africa
Moore - London/South Africa
Stuart, Collins- Scotland/South Africa
Masson, De St Pern - France/Mauritius/South Africa

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
Would you believe the South African War (Boer War) 1899 - 1902?  Robert Pretoria was born, I guess, around mid June/earlyJuly 1900. The British captured Pretoria on June 5th. Good job it wasn't somewhere like Mozambique !! :D
Fred
Mott; Mote; Motts; Moat; Moate; Moats etc.

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 20:32 BST (UK) »
Which goes to show what I know about my own history.  I guess I can allow the old age to make an excuse for me.  I learnt about the boer war some 30 odd years ago.

My grandmother was born in April 1900.  She was either going to be called Mafeking or as it was landed up with Mabel Pretoria.

Was royally chuffed when at a late age in her life she sent off her birth certificate to the South African government archives to prove that she had been born in Halifax England and had the name Pretoria.  They replied to say that It now hung it in the hall of fame.  I am assuming it was File 13.

I am glad it wasn't Mozambique, but hey it is a beautiful place to Scuba Dive
Brough, Dewar, Aitken, Cairns, Hudson - Scotland-Australia/South Africa
Gatenby, Spink, Nolan - Yorkshire/South Africa
Lane - Manchester/South Africa
Moore - London/South Africa
Stuart, Collins- Scotland/South Africa
Masson, De St Pern - France/Mauritius/South Africa

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 08 May 05 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,
We seem to have our "wires crossed" on Henry William Mott!

Henry William was the older brother of Arthur Mott (sons of William Ranson Mott) and was born on February 1, 1860 in Bridge Street, Hadleigh, Suffolk.  1901 census has him as living at 34 Chestnut Road, Bushey Mead, Merton, Surrey,  a retired fishmonger. 
HW Married Mary STRONG (daughter of William Edward STRONG and Jane Walker BURCHALL) on August 15, 1880 in Holy Trinity Church, Rotherhithe, Surrey.  Children:

Henry S MOTT  b 1881 in Rotherhithe, Surrey.
William MOTT   b 1883 in Brixton, Surrey.
Rhoda Frances MOTT b June 1885 in Peckham, Surrey.
Lydia Elizabeth MOTT b December 1889 in Finchley, Middlsex.  Beatrice Mary MOTT    b March 1887 in Rotherhithe, Surrey.  Thomas Frederick MOTT b March 1897 in Wimbledon, Surrey. 

Any clues where the Ranson came from for William Ranson Mott b 1832 and then the grandson - another William Ranson b 1884?

Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 08 May 05 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
Thankyou for your previous message. I had Arthur as being the one registered in Sudbury (both in March 1862, I had to pick the wrong one!) :P
I have some extra info for you concerning Wm Ranson family.
Working through my files I have a Henry William, born circa 1853, who was buried 17 March 1854 St. Mary, Hadleigh. "an infant" Death registered 4a.308 Cosford. I believe every good chance he could have been their first born ?
Secondly, I have a William Henry baptised 11 March 1854 Hadleigh "son of William & Louisa". (1854 March qtr 4a.399 Cosford). On the card I have for him, it states that he was the brother of Frances Emily, Louisa Ellen & Charlotte Kate.
Charlotte Kate is the next "extra". Baptised 10 March 1859, birth registered 1858 Dec qtr 4a.395 Cosford. She was buried 17 March 1859 St.Mary, Hadleigh "infant".
Notice that, curiously, both she and brother Henry William both died on the same day/month, albeit different year!
Fred

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 09 May 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Thanks for that info.

Going up the tree (literally) I am stuck at William Mott who was William Ranson Mott father and Arthur/ Henry William etc grandfather.

William snr married Marth Stow c. 1826 and I was informed today that Martha was a widow at the time and that the 1851 census has William as born in Hadleigh (c. ??) but I can't find any record of his birth although IGI has at least 2 other Mott families in Hadleigh C. 1800.

If anybody's got any info or can check 1851 census for me much appreciated.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 13:14 BST (UK) »
Ok think I've cracked it for the Hadleigh Motts!

According to info received today from a good source Martha Welham (b 1803 to John Welham and Martha Ranson) married Serjeant Blackful Stow who died about 1824. Martha then married William Mott and William Ranson Mott (b 1833) was their son.

William Mott snr (b circa 1807) is probably the son of John Mott (b between 1782 and 1785) and Anne Aylward but no baptism has been found for him.

Martha probably had children by her previous husband - don't know!

If anybody finds a link between William snr and "father" John let me know.

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean and to your "good source" for that info. Now we know where the names Ranson came from. :).
Let us hope we can get some more info on this family.
Fred

Offline muttleyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 16 May 05 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

Its been a while since i have visited, but i was wonder if you have any details on James Mott born about 1824 i believe in Broomfield Essex. i have located censuses from 1861-1891 and they state that his wifes name was Charlotte but i don't know her surname. Is there anything you can help me with?

regards

Doug
Bavin, Copsey, Dainton, Gubbins, Mott, Moss, Morley, Ridges