Author Topic: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All  (Read 106175 times)

Offline rozee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All
« Reply #99 on: Monday 11 July 05 03:27 BST (UK) »
and would also appreciate any information about the descendents of Mary E E Mott and James S Batt - they married in 1921 - the same year as Elizabeth Mott to Reginald Saunders.  Thanks again - Rozee
White, Wright, Lewis, Mikkelsen, Cook, Smith, Chamberlain, Snewin, Gillies, Bushby, Fruen, Cox, Trenchard

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 15 July 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Rozee,
Thanks for that. Just got back home late last night and found your message today.
Do you have any further info on the issue for William John - Elizabeth E., Mary E. E., and Amelia J. ?? William John died in the UK, but I cannot find any births for children of those names?
By the way, what is your answer to the proposal to introduce you to living relatives here in England? I have spoken to them and they are quite happy for me to pass on their details to you, but as I stated in my previous message, all parties have to agree.
If you are willing, can you let me have some means of contact - preferably an e-mail address - by way of the private message.
Fred
Mott; Mote; Motts; Moat; Moate; Moats etc.

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 15 July 05 22:25 BST (UK) »
Me again, Rozee!
Sorry, I cannot give you any further details about any female MOTT who marries - I do not keep any info on their issue, etc. Can you imagine the size of my files if I did!
Once they marry, that is the end of their record as they are obviously no longer a MOTT (unless they marry another MOTT).
Fred

Offline masonl20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 16:12 BST (UK) »
hi can anyone tell me the history and origins of the english motts please.

ive search the net but can not find anything on uk motts, my motts from 1821 were from norwich and thats as far as i ive got just can not get anything else in relation to the norfolk motts and how they came to norfolk area.

any help please would be great.

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 29 September 05 10:00 BST (UK) »
I'm not too sure about the 'origin' of MOTTS - with an 's'- in England. My own assumption is that the name was originally MOTT - no 's'- and the name got altered possibly by way of mis-hearing - example :- "Mott's my name" meaning Mott IS, but taken to be MOTTS. I think that is a plausible explanation of it, but no doubt there are those who would differ with me?
I have families where the surname through the family has varied between having an 's' or not.
I assume that you have Mason as a surname, or in the family?? Interesting, particularly when I couple the name with MOTTS and Norwich/Norfolk. There was an Benjamin Motts who wed a Sarah MASON back in 1690 in Norwich - any connection?
Fred

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 29 September 05 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Fred,

I'm doing a couple of amateur one-name studies (the very rare name LOCHTIE and the uncommon name MCCLAUSE and all its innumerable variants) so I know how we one-namers tend to range far and wide.  So this might be of interest?

My great-grandparents were Henry BURKE and Maria RAFFERTY who came from near Claremorris in Co Mayo.  One of their children was my Ggpa John George (George) BURKE.  George's sister, Mary Ann BURKE b Ireland ca 1835 married a Maurice Edward DAVIES (from London) in the goldfields of Victoria, Australia in 1859; he later became a newsagent.  Their children included Elizabeth Emily DAVIES, b 1872 in Richmond, Victoria Australia.

In 1902 in Victoria, Elizabeth married Melbourne Charnock Delamotte MOTT (b New South Wales ca 1859, died 1915 in Essendon, Victoria).

He was the son of George Henry MOTT and Allegra Haidee CHARNOCK.  He had siblings, some with equally impressive names - Ada Emily MOTT; Fenelon De La Motte MOTT (Fenelon married a Maud Mary SMITH (!) and they had a Fenelon De La Motte MOTT and an Allegra Maud MOTT); Decimus Horace MOTT (Decimus married a Margaret MILLAR and they had George Horace MOTT); and Margaret Eveline MOTT (she married a Mr FALCONER).  All of the siblings died in Victoria Australia - Ada Emily in 1950, Melbourne in 1915, Fenelon in 1932, Decimus in 1947, and Margaret in 1958.

I haven't followed up the Australian MOTT family but a Google for Charnock + Mott gets quite a few hits.

Regards,

JAP

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 29 September 05 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jap,
Good to hear from you. Thankyou for the info on the Mott family connections to your tree.
George Henry Mott migrated to Melbourne, Australia in June 1853. After some newspaper experience in Melbourne he moved to Albury, NSW, and established the 'Border Post' newspaper in 1856. He became Mayor of Albury in 1868.
He formed the North-Eastern Railway League which resulted in the completion of the Melbourne to Wodonga line and an eventual link with Albury.
In 1869 he returned to Victoria and bought a partnership in the 'Hamilton Spectator'. He then moved to Melbourne in 1885; became Managing Director of Gordon & Gotch Ltd (Newspaper & Magazine distributors) for 9 years before buying the 'Kew Mercury' which his son Walter (1864) had founded. He served on Kew Borough Council for four years, and died at Hamilton on 7th January 1906.
George Henry was the son of Isaac Henry Robert & Rebecca Ann (JACKSON), born circa 1831. I have a list of the children for George Henry & Allegra, but  your Melbourne Charnock Delamotte does not figure in it, so thankyou for that piece of info, and his marriage.
Keep in touch,
Fred

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 29 September 05 20:43 BST (UK) »
Just one thing puzzles me, Jap. The list of siblings of George Henry does not tie up with what I have listed here? Did these names come off the Google page, or did you get them from another source??
Fred

Offline SheMughal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 18 November 05 10:18 GMT (UK) »
There have been suggestions that the Mott family are connected to the Mort family. As a researcher for the Mort family I am not convinced that this is the case. This Mott family are of Norman heritage & came originally from Essex after coming over in a boat with William the conquerer. They are mentioned in a story on our web site (www.mortfamily.net) that explores the origins of the Mort name. Hope this is helpful.
PS: some De Mott's became Demott.........
Sheila