Author Topic: David Greig  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Greig seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
David Greig
« on: Thursday 23 February 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more information about the family of David Greig, born in Kilmany, Fife on 19 April 1820, and his father James Greig, married to Christian Philp on 22 October 1814. She was born on 16 February 1791 in Logie, Fife. I'm having difficulty getting any information regarding David or James and other family memers.
GREIG, HELLARD

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Greig
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 06 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you seen this - Kilmany is a recently uploaded parish onto 1841 Census at FREECEN: http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Piece: SCT1841/437 Place: Kilmany-Fife Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Kilmany Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 2 Page: 8
All listed as Born in Fife:
    GREIG   James age 52 Labourer
    GREIG   Christian age 48     
    GREIG   Thrift age 20  (female)   
    GREIG   Ann  age 12
    GREIG   Robt  age 10     
    GREIG   Margt age 6
    GREIG   Peter age 2

It seems as if the enumerator may have written down the actual ages, instead of rounding down for those over 15 as he was supposed to do. The ages of the children all match the IGI bith/Chr dates for them. Christian PHILP - her Census age indicates she was born abt 1793. And James snr  - born abt 1789.

Son John b 1825 of the family  may be the one age 17 working on another farm in Kilmany, but the other  older issue of James & Christian as per the IGI are not apparently in Kilmany:
William 1815, Christian 1817, David 1819/1820, James 1823 - Christian could be married name by 1841

Have a look at the Census reults at FREECEN for Kilmany 1841 (I searched surname as GR**G to net any spelling variations). There is another older female named Thrif GREIG  age 45, surely related (but could have been a marry in)  and others.

Just wondering, do you have CHristian PHILP's parent's names off her apparent death record in 1861 (SP Search)  and on that Record does it indicate her husband James was alive or deceased?

Hope this helps, depending on what sort of information you are looking for!
Cheers
Anne
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Greig seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this info, and apologies for the delay in responding. I was aware of the siblings to David, and had matched them all to the IGI sensus for verification.

Christian Philp was born in 16 Feb 1791, and her father's name was William Philp. I have no details about her mother's name, nor her parents dates of birth, although she came from Logie in Fife.

I have searched the 1841 Kilmany and Logie census information to find other Greigs, however the most promising is a William Greig born in Kilmany on 8 Mar 1786,whomay have been a brother to James Greig, except I can find no information linking them apart frm surname and proimity of dwelling.

Where should I look next?

Regards,

Greig seeker  ???
GREIG, HELLARD

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 06 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greig Seeker

Since a Christian GREIG other name PHILP age 71 died in Kilmany  Fife in 1861 (ie after 1855 when Stat Records came into being), now getting her death record off Scotlands People should give you her mother's name. It will also indicate if she was married or a widow, though in 1860 I think it may not give her husband's  name. If you have luck he was alive, therefore you could find his death too and get his parent's names. If she was widow when she died, he may have died before or after 1855. You have to pay to use SP, but it is well worth it - you buy 30 credits for 6GBP and getting the above cert will cost 6 credits - you can download the images of 1855 records and later directly from the site , no waiting for the post.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

My tip - you know Christian died 1861 Kilmany. You know they were both alive 1841 Kilmany.  I would search for deaths of all GREIG in Fife 1855 to 1871 - if the result is over 1 pages to view, try to narrow it down to 1 page by searching just Kilmany 1841 to 1871 or even 1881. Then pay 1 credit to view that page.

You know Christian will be on it. You can also see if there is a likely James on it. You can then pay 5 more credits view/purchase  at Christian's death record - and if there is a likely looking James, pay 5 for him as well. Total 11 credits spent. The page you viewed is saved - you can go back to it at no further charge and view or purchase any other record you like the look of...... Or you could use the leftover credits to look them up in 1861 Census on SP - he may well be on it.

Having said all that, you may be very fortunate - a search of SP (I am registered with them, no credits at present , but can search) reveals  there is a James GREIG died Kilmany 1869 age 84 - could very well be your man, and as I said should give his parents names. It should also indicate who he was married to. Sometimes it doesn't state parents, spouse etc  if the informant to the death did not know who they were, but by and large, you should be able to get that information. But get Christian's death first - you can be fairly certain this is your lady, but if it says she was a widow, then the 1869 James musn't be.

You could also try the Fife Deaths pre 1855 CD for GREIG deaths, sometimes there is good identifying information.
http://www.fifefhs.org/deaths.htm
Perhaps you have access to it via your local LDS? or can post a Lookup request on Rootschat.

All the best
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline Greig seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 06 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ambly,

Where was your source for the death of Christian Greig (previously Philp)? I have searched on the Scotlands people website to find that there are no search matches under deaths for her in1861, or between 1841 - 1871 in Fife.

I cannot find her mentioned in the census in 1861 in Fife either, nor any wills or testaments lodged at Cupar between 1841 to 1871.

How did you come across this information. searching for James Greig was just as fruitless.

Regards,

Greig seeker
GREIG, HELLARD

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 06 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greig Seeker
My source is Scotlands People  - I am registered with them and have in the past bought credits, though I have none at present. Whether having bought credits before makes a difference as to how I am able to search for free when I don't have credits, I don't know!??). I just checked again and the deaths I found are still coming up: I get Christian thus - using JUST these fields:

1) Surname: GREIG (don't tick Soundex box)
2) Forename: CHRISTIAN (tick yes the box return all forenames......)
3) Other name: PHILP
4) Year Range: 1861 to 1861
5) Age Range: 71 to 71
6) County: FIFE
(wait a minute here, before continuing, as SP loads up the Fife districts during which time the status bar of your PC screen will say it's "opening....."
When the first District you can see is "Abbotshall" and it says "Done" on your screen's status bar, it's ready to continue. (This is where I think your problem is - I've been caught before, thinking it was searching and came up "Done" with nil result,, when in fact it was just loading up the Districts specific to the County I chose)

Now choose:
7) District: KILMANY
8] Cross Fingers and Click  the SEARCH button

Repeat for 84 year old James, changing just steps 2 to 5 ( "Other Surnames field is left blank for him) . I also don't bother with the Sex field - I just leave it as "Both"

Do this first to confirm they come up. But then: widen your search to Surname GREIG, 1855 to 1955, FIFE,  KILMANY - there are only 6, two of which are your suspected Christian and James - pay for this wide View - it will include your 2 but the others may be of interest.

As to CENSUS 1861:
There is are just 3 GREIG in all Kilmany 1861. Only one is a James. And he is 73 years old. Very likely to be the same man who died 1869 aged 84 - ages are often disparate for individuals between Census, Death etc - for a variety of reasons. He may not be your man, but the odds are he is, if Christian was listed as "Married" on her death record.
There appears to be no Christian (or C*) in 1861 Census - so she may have died in the early months of 1861 before the Census was taken.
If you click with Soundex ON for just GREIG in 1861 Kilmany, there are only 5 matches, so I would pay for this search:-as again, the others may be of interest and be GREIG mispelled.

As to WILLS. TESTAMENTS:
A Nil result may simply mean they have no such record lodged. Not everyone did, especially the "Working Class" who had no assets or wealth  to speak of.

I've got all digits crossed  ;D

Cheers
Anne

Offline Greig seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 March 06 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Anne, this was most helpful advice and I found a lot more information than I expected. I had tried similar entries in the death index search facility without luck. I obviously omitted some of the fields you suggested.

With appreciation,

Greig finder  :)
GREIG, HELLARD

Offline bamc37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greig Seeker
My wife's Greig ancestry is as follows
David  b 1668 Wemyss, Fife
David  b 1700
David  b 1722 Markench, Fife
Andrew  b 1760  Fife d 1826
John b 1787 Fife  d 1849 Levan Fife
John Greig b 1808 Fife
Thereafter born in England
Hope this is of interest
Brian
CALDER Lancashire, Kensington and Scotland. COX Hammersmith, Tottenham and Bow. TOMS Plymouth, Modbury, Ermington. BRADY Fremington, Ireland. TYLER Luton, Uxbridge, MARRIOTT Bow, JONES Liverpool. JASPER Brighton, MOYSEY South Hams, KINGWELL Ugborough, HARRIS Gloucester; WARD Suffolk;

Offline Greig seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information. I have looked down my Greigs and they do not seem to match via dob. The closest I have is John Greig born 1786 but his father was William Greig. There were certainly a lot of Greigs in Fife and its difficult to feel that they weren't related, its just piecing them together is the problem.

Regards and thanks.
GREIG, HELLARD