Author Topic: greeks to liverpool pre-1873- hercules family  (Read 3013 times)

Offline ekell3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
greeks to liverpool pre-1873- hercules family
« on: Thursday 30 September 04 10:03 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my mum's family called Hercules who lived in Liverpool after leaving Greece.

I have traced her grandfather back to his marriage in Liverpool in 1873 but cannot trace his birth details or any onfo on his father recorded on the marriage certificate as Charles Hercules a grocer in Liverpool living in Collingwood street....any advice, help or info would be really appreciated...ekell3
hercules, fitzsimmons, cain, isle of man, liverpool

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: greeks to liverpool pre-1873- hercules family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 04 10:15 BST (UK) »
Is this anything to do with your Charles Hercules?
1881 UK Census
Vessel:   "Flora"
   Census Place:   Royal Navy, At sea or in a foreign port.
   Source:   FHL Film 1342356     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 5641    Folio 30    Page 11
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Charles HERCULES   U   20    M   St Helend British Subject

The full entry is quite long (he is the only Hercules in the entry)

I have found on the 1881 census the majority of Hercules originate from the Isle of Man or Lancashire, England.

If you give more information on the names and dates  relation to your Hercules research we may be able to help you more.

Offline ekell3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 04 00:33 BST (UK) »
thanks for replying, the Charles you found is'nt a relation. I found it in a search and got really excited but the dates don't tie in.

As for the Isle of Man connection, that sounds a possibility as the son of Charles-- Joseph Alexander married an Elizabeth Cain in Liverpool in 1873, he was about 26 then. Elizabeth originally came from the IoM, they had a son also called Joseph Alexander who was my mum's dad.

I'll try IoM 1881 census, or do you have the details to hand to check, no probs if you haven't? many thanks ekell3

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 October 04 09:20 BST (UK) »
The only entry on the I.O.M region in 1881 was that Charles Hercules (posted previously) I have looked on the 1881 surname index and picked out all those born in I.O.M who had since moved away at the time of the 1881 census.

This is the only match to Hercules. There are no other Charles Hercules (tried variants also) I found a Hercules / Cain in the Lancashire region in 1881 which I feel connects to yours but not in the way you mentioned in your posting regarding the Cain - Hercules connection:

Dwelling:   74 Howe St
   Census Place:   Everton, Lancashire, England
   Source:   FHL Film 1341877     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 3661    Folio 22    Page 37
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Thomas CAIN   M   58    M   Isle of Man, England
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Tailor
Elizabeth CAIN   M   62    F   Isle of Man, England
   Rel:   Wife
Elizabeth HERCULES   M   28    F   Isle of Man, England
   Rel:   Dau
Emily L. HERCULES       8    F   Everton, Lancashire, England
   Rel:   G Dau
Georgina HERCULES       6    F   Everton, Lancashire, England
Elizabeth HERCULES       2    F   Everton, Lancashire, England
Eleanor HERCULES       4 m   F   Everton, Lancashire, England

All the others are Herculeson's
I hope this information leads to more information for you in your research.

Kindest Regards Jen

Offline ekell3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 04 22:26 BST (UK) »
thanks for that info, the family you have is my mum's grandmother and aunts and uncles and they were living with her father in Liverpool. My grandfather Joseph i.e. my mums dad was born in 1883 and never talked about his family or early life.

I think Joseph, Elizabeths husband and my mums grandfather might have been at sea, he died in 1886

I'm just wondering whether the Charles Hercules you found might be related to Joseph after all. he was born about 1846 and this Charles was circa 1861 so he's too young to be the father but young enough to be a brother. I'll check that out again..many thanks ekell3