Author Topic: Chief Constable Henry Plews - What was a Chief Constables role  (Read 2623 times)

Offline scanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Chief Constable Henry Plews - What was a Chief Constables role
« on: Sunday 26 February 06 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Following research I am doing on the Plews Brewery of Bedale and Leeming Bar it has come to my attention that the founder Henry Plews, or his son, also Henry Plews, became Chief Constable of probably the Wapentake of Hang East. The exact text is as follows

Page 487 states
“Old Henry Plews then took the Rand,

He had to Bedale come,

Chief Constable, and wanted land,

And Brewer, he was one”

The notes attached to this verse state as follows; Mr Plews commenced brewing in Aiskew, and was made Chief Constable, after the death of Mr Pickering of Crakehall.  From a small beginning, and the length of forty year, successfully carried on as a common brewer. Perhaps Mr Henry Plews of Bedale can vie, for extent of business in ale, porter and malting, with any of the like concern in the North Riding.  1838, the heavy and most laborious work is done by steam. The boiler holds 16 gallons, and one cooler holds 792 gallons, besides which in use is another three  -  (My original thought was that Henry Plews commenced brewing brewing in Bedale but Hird now throws a spanner in the works on that theory!)

Would appreciate any info on how to trace any records on Chief Constables and also what their duties were/would be.

Should anyone have any info on Plews Brewery or Plews family I would welcome that also.

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Chief Constable Henry Plews - What was a Chief Constables role
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 06 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello scanny
When researching 1790 to 1820 at my local Borough Achives I had the opportunity to read the Constables Account Books for the period.
The Bedale town constable would be elected by the Vestry Committee annually, men of standing found it an irksome job but had to do it for at least one year.
The books were a very good read not only outlining the work done but an insight into how the town was run and costed.
I did not come across a Chief Constable the Town was run as an entity the constable acting for the JP,s and district court, organising jury,s the local militia, the turnpikes, hue and cries, virtually running the town, seemed to be more powerful than the Overseers.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Bedale/

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline Marthakeys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have a stpneware jug from the Henry plews &co brewery would love to know more about. It

Offline Marthakeys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Please let me know more about Henry plews brewery

Offline scanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martha

I have posted quite a bit of info on Henry Plews and the Plews brewery in various posts on this website. Let me know if you need any more info. Are you related to the family or did you just like the jug?

Regards
Mike

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 January 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
The term Chief/Head Constable is connected with the County Police Act 1839 outside of London.

Before this time a Parish/Petty Constable could be appointed to uphold the law.

There is also the ancient position of High Constable, now only appointed by two towns in England and is part of the Mayor's entourage.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 January 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
"Before the creation of a county constabulary in the nineteenth centuries, the control of law and order in parishes was in the hands of a local constable appointed for a year from among the inhabitants of the parish supported by two high constables in each wapentake (called the Chief Constable in the parish accounts) and Justices of the Peace."

http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com/5950.html
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex