Author Topic: Edward Shepherd & Sons, Holme Mills - help please  (Read 1653 times)

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Edward Shepherd & Sons, Holme Mills - help please
« on: Sunday 26 February 06 16:53 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather worked for Carpet Manufacturers, Edward Shepherd & Sons (later became William Goodacre Ltd), Holme Mills, Holme in 1891.  Does anyone have any info about the history or photos of the firm?  I believe that there may be an industrial estate on the former site of the buildings but, not knowing the area, I am not sure.
Any help given would be greatly appreciated.
Sand

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Shepherd & Sons, Holme Mills - help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sand

You can get a satellite picture of the mills today by going to Google Maps http://maps.google.co.uk/ and type in the post code LA6 1RD.

You can get hold of older maps (mid 1800s) by using the postcode in the address field at www.old-maps.co.uk.

Also try searching the A2A website www.a2a.org.uk using the term "edward shepherd" and the region north west.  Looks as if Kendal Record Office have a copy of the company records from 1908 when it was handed over to Goodacres.

& have you come across this page?:

www.cumbria-industries.org.uk/goodacres.htm

It relates to Goodacres and their current mill at Kendal.  It may be worth contacting the firm to see if they have any records of Holme Mills.

Kind Regards

Sue
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk