Author Topic: Question - England to Ireland  (Read 2075 times)

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Question - England to Ireland
« on: Thursday 30 September 04 16:28 BST (UK) »
In the early 1900's would you need to applay to go from England to Nothern Ireland to live? Would there be travel records? I'm looking for the Reid Family

Dave & Louisa

Children - Eric, Cecil, Gordon and Harold who went from Hackney to Ireland (Portadown, I think) in about 1925

Thanks

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
Re: Question - England to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 04 17:03 BST (UK) »
Until the Republic of Ireland was formed, the whole of Ireland was under british control, so you could move anywhere within the British Isles, inc all Ireland. Later, when Ireland split, Northern Ireland remained under British control and the remainder became Southern Ireland, and as far as I know you can move from the UK into Southern Ireland without any form of visa.

When I did my Degree, I used a book called the Making of Modern Ireland, which was excellent, and should be available from bookstore, a search of Amazon should reveal its ISBN, as I do not have my copy to hand.
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question - England to Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 04 20:42 BST (UK) »
England and Northern Ireland have been technically part of the same Union for a very long time. There has never been any restriction on the movement of citizens of the "mainland" to move within the 4 component countries nor on Ulstermen coming to and residing in the mainland. No passport control has been needed to enter Eire or come from Eire to the mainland since the formation of Eire in 1922. Travel may nowadays be much by air but until recently it was by ferry. That is much like a bus service and records are not registered anywhere.
That freedom of travel has nothing to do with the European Union.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk