Author Topic: Spooky experiences while researching  (Read 100263 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Spooky experiences while researching
« on: Tuesday 28 February 06 10:53 GMT (UK) »

The most spooky experience for me was while researching my Mum's side of the family  I had found my Mum's Grandad and knew that he had married again after his wife had died.

Last year my Mum had gone to the area where she remembered him living in the 40's and my Dad had printed out every Owen in the area with a phone. They saw one of the addresses was in the street they were parked in and as my Mum pointed at the house they saw a woman come out of the door. They decided to ask her if she had lived there long and if so did she know my Mum's Grandad.

When they asked her she looked very suspiciously at them. Why? It turned out she was one of his youngest daughters and lived with two sisters in the same house he had lived in. In one day my Mum found 3 of her aunties and one cousin's husband and daughter and another cousin!

Anyway back to my spooky bit - I had found that I was dreaming about this man who just stood there looking at me - never spoke at all. When I told my Mum she told me to speak to him and wait for an answer but none ever came so one night I decided to draw him. I showed her the picture and she said it looked like an older version of her brother. That was in November last year.

At Christmas my Mum's cousin's daughter came to visit for the first time and brought a photo of her mother and Grandmother at a family wedding. Her Grandmother was my Great Grandad's sister. I scanned the photo and saved it to crop and place parts in my Family Tree program later on. I never looked at the photo properly until about 3 days later when I was cropping etc. I nearly fell off my chair when I looked properly - There in the top right hand corner was the man I had drawn !!!     I swear to you now. I called hubby in and showed him and he couldn't believe it either. My Mum couldn't understand how I had drawn a man I had never seen before and then a month later he appears in a photo I am given. Neither could I.

Even though we lived on Anglesey until I was 4 years old we never went to Holyhead as we lived in the centre of the island and all my Mum's immediate family were in the same area and my Dad's were in Bangor so we had no need to go to Holyhead. When I visited last year to try and find his gravestone I drove around the town and knew exactly where I was going. No need for a road atlas at all. When I saw places I had the feeling I had been there before.

I have never been so excited as I was then and am still trying to find out who this man is. I am sure he is my Great Grandad but I just have to wait until  I have the definite proof.

Has anyone else ever had anything spooky like that happen to them?

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky experiences while researching
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 15:51 GMT (UK) »

Well thats the best proof I have heard yet for a fine upstanding Welsh (Celtic) woman being blessed with the "vision".   ;D

Its in all the old stories - how the the females of the Celtic tribes had visions and were venerated as "witches".  :D

I wonder if they were druids too.

Sorry if its off topic but your story is fascinating.   I love Celtic history. I have just discovered that I seem to be of Cornish origin myself. :D

Burrow Digger
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hubby laughed (a lot) at the reference to witches. He said he often called me that but with a slight letter change  hhhhmmmmmm   >:(  >:(  >:(

Celtic history is fascinating - I just wish I had a lot more time to go right into it and learn a lot more.

I think they were druids. Might be worthwhile checking out properly though

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 18:50 GMT (UK) »
My man was born and brought up on the south coast of England but went to Tenby and knew his way around ???

Spooked him  :D

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline sha61

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • the reed family (swansea)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 06 14:04 GMT (UK) »
:) i don`t know if this would come under spooky or fate.. all the infomation i have found out about my ancestors.. e.g worked.. lived went to school ..surnames etc, i have had connections with example..
  i found out last week that my grandfather, was born & brought up on cambridge st swansea.. and i used to visit a lady 3 doors away in my job as a care assistant 5yrs ago..
  when i left school i had a job at a bakers.. reeds in swansea, it turned out that it was once owned by my grt grt grandfather
as a child i always felt drawn to horses.. when doing research on my ancestors, i found that they keep horses.. 
i once lived 5 doors away from where my grt gran lived
 and never knew any of this until i started my research.. lots more coincidences too
smith.. reed.. williams.. collier.. griffiths.. swansea

manchester.. clark.. sugg.. roach.. knight

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 06 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Oh I would call that spooky Sha 

My Dad always thought his Grandfather's family were from Caernarfon but once I started searching I found that they had come from Llanbedrgoch, a little village in Anglesey. He was amazed but spooked, when he realised that his first job when he left school was fitting electrics in ahouse in the same village - just next door to where his Great Grandfather had been born!

Another weird thing was finding that both my dad's side and my Mum's had also lived in another village at the same time and some are buried with 10 feet of each other.

Carol

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 March 06 15:11 GMT (UK) »
My man was born and brought up on the south coast of England but went to Tenby and knew his way around ???

Spooked him  :D

Wendi

That's happened to me as well Wendi

Even though I was brought up in Anglesey we had no need to ever go to Holyhead. We always went to Bangor to see my Dad's family and my Mum's lived in the same village. We left Anglesey when I was 4. When I went back to Anglesey to do some researching last year, I drove through Holyhead to find a cemetery. I knew exactly where I was going and didn't need a map. The weirdest bit was finding myself at a cemetery (the wrong one) which was next to the street that my Great Grandfather had lived in, in 1891.

Carol

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I think it is the memory we carry around in our genes, so many things happen to so many people we must  retain it somehow,

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I think you could be right there Jakky

I have heard somewhere about these people who are "reincarnated" and even as children can go around a place without ever being there before. They also recognize people from their past lives as well

Carol