Author Topic: Ernest Hollingworth, 1871 Census  (Read 2892 times)

Offline gay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ernest Hollingworth, 1871 Census
« on: Friday 01 October 04 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site so hope I have found the right part.

I am looking for an Ernest Hollingworth, my great-g-pa, whose family in the 1881 census was at 6 Brichall st., Warrington, Lancashire (RG11, 3797/50, PG. 7). Unfortunately he is not listed with them. His family members are:
Harriet Hollingworth, Head, M, age 33, born Wincham, Cheshire
Thomas, age 10 Altrincham
Harry, 8, Altrincham
Bertha, 5, Northwich
Clara, 2, Northwich
Ernest, 7 m, Warrington

I believe I have a death record for him in Dec. 1891, Liverpool, Lancashire (Vol 8b, pg. 90), age 57. The surname is Hollingsworth, not Hollingworth. So he would have been 47 in the 1881 census, and 37 in the 1871.

Because son Ernest was born in Warrington in 1880 but the father not listed with the family, I assume Thomas could be a 'stray' in the '81 census but I don't know anything more.

I would like to know if there is any listing in the 1871 census in Altrincham for Thomas (37), Harriet (23) and Thomas Jr. (1 or less). I do know Altrincham is in Cheshire but am assuming Thomas could have moved around independently from his family. His trade was a brick maker. I do not know where he was born.

Any help or advice on finding him in the census would be appreciated.

Offline gay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hollingworth, 1871 Census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 04 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry everyone, I'm looking for THOMAS Hollingworth, not Ernest.

Never do anything when you're tired!

Thanks!

Offline gay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Hollingworth, 1871 Census
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 04 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry everyone:  it should have been THOMAS, not Ernest Hollingworth that I said I was looking for.

Thomas Hollingworth was not listed with his family in the 1881 census when the family was in Warrington. The Dec. 1891 death is again for Thomas Hollingsworth, not an Ernest.

Sorry for the confusion.  I shouldn't be doing this late at night!

Thanks!