Author Topic: James Johnston, 1798, Londonderry, Margaret Jane Groves  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
James Johnston, 1798, Londonderry, Margaret Jane Groves
« on: Wednesday 01 March 06 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about James Johnston, born 1798 in Londonderry. Also his future wife, Margaret.  Would like James' birth, and his marriage to Margaret.  Also the birth of any children before they emigrated to Ontario in 1827.  These are (I think) my ggg grandparents.
I would appreciate any information.
Thanks
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Johnston, 1798, Londonderry, Margaret Jane Groves
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I have learned tha James and Margaret were married in 1822 in Ireland before they emigrated to the Ottawa area in 1827.  They had a child Mary Ann in 1823.  Would appreciate any information about any of these events.  Margaret was born in 1803 in Londonderry.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 04:51 BST (UK) »
I have further information that Catherine Johnston (whom I think may be James' sister) married Thomas Duncan who was born in Magherafelt.  Does anyone have any information on James b.1797 or 1798, or Catherine born in 1805, or Margaret born in 1803 or Thomas born Duncan born???
Thanks for any help.
Peggy Gordon

Offline tmoffatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Specialize in Irish and British Military Research
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
Have you had any success on this?  Best source of all is that there was an extraction of those with name Johnston in Co. Londonderry in the 1821 Census. It was very useful in my case for my wife's Johnstons from near Kilrea. I am not sure where it would be available to you. It is available in North America from the Mormon Family History Centre system. It was obviously done before the Four Courts Fire, and is a goldmine for Johnston research.
Moffatt, Herron, Moore, Bogart, Riordan, Helps

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi T Moffat,
I was looking at recent posts and don't recall seeing this one before. Though my James has born in Co. Antrim on his death certificate, previous family members thought he was from Londonderry. I presumed they thought that possibly as he may have sailed from there. But maybe he had moved there. I will have to find that census although I am not sure James was married by 1821.  Thanks so much.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello tmoffatt,
Thank you very much for your help. I have now managed to order on microfilm the extractions that you mentioned regarding the Johnston family in 1821 in Londonderry. Since you originally answered my post and now, I have learned more about the family which should help me to pick out the correct people and location. I have found the baptisms of the eldest three children of my James in Magherafelt between 1821-1824 so they are probably married before 1821. In which case, I hope to find James and wife together, and perhaps his parents and younger siblings in another household, if not with James. It will take 3-6 weeks for the microfilm to arrive. Timely order as after the end of August this year, we cannot order films any longer.
Thanks again
Peggy