Author Topic: child that took mothers name...  (Read 10824 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: child that took mothers name...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, 369 Fulham Road is the current address of Chelsea and Westminster Hospital which is on the same site.   The other address, Marville Road, was probably a private house and where she normally resided (was she a domestic?)

If you search the London Generations database with the search phrase Fulham Road Workhouse it comes up with the following:

WEBG/CW/048/15 (1917-1918)
WEBG/CW/048/16 (1918)
WEBG/CW/048/17 (1918-1920)
Fulham Road Workhouse: Admission and Discharge Book

WEBG/CW/053/2 (1916-1919)
Fulham Road Workhouse: Case Book

WEBG/CW/051/4 (1917-1919)
Fulham Road Workhouse: Creed Register

(Note: these references indicate that these are original record books, they might also have versions on microfilm).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I've done exactly that and it says no matches found!!
Anyway I rang up in the end and they say that they have the correct registers but it costs £35 per hour!!
thanks for your help
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 16:21 GMT (UK) »
That's about standard for work done by the archives, Guildhall charge something similar.  An independant researcher may be cheaper, or if you can get to London you can look at the registers yourself.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 16:27 GMT (UK) »
what am i likely to find out?
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure what the 'case files' are, workhouse admissions and discharges generally give name, age, address before admission and information on where and why they were sent out, but that's assuming 1918 would be the same as the ones I've looked at from the 1880s/turn of the century.  Sometimes there are extra notes given.

The information you'd be most interested in I would suppose would be Ethel's age.  In addition you could find out how long she'd been in the workhouse, how long she stayed, if she went back to Melville Road or on to somewhere else - if Desmond left with her or if he was given up then - etc.

http://www.movinghere.org.uk/browse/v.htm - if you click on 'whitechapel workhouse' you can see examples of an admission/discharge register and creed register.    You'd have to ask the LMA what the Case Registers hold, probably they contain other information relating to some of the inmates.

As it was only in 1918 that women over 30 gained the right to vote (and women over 21 in 1928), the electoral registers wouldn't show her at Marville Road (would show if there was a Jarvis around there, though, or a male Salter who might be a family member).

You could also possibly trace forward to see if an Ethel Salter married in the Chelsea/Fulham area soon after 1918, but it would be hard to prove it was the same Ethel.

Offline bellyboba

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 June 06 19:32 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to good luck in your search . i know what you mean, ive been looking up brinkworth a family name but could not find my great gran, eventally found her birth cert. at an aunts house and found out she was a blake, 15 years later she had taken her mothers maiden nam... another question to answer. this hobby is hard enough..
ody, Gooding, Blake, Enbom, Smith

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 May 07 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, Im just reviving my old post here. I never did find Jervis cos AS i remember I didnt have enough money to send for info and searches etc. Im a bit better off now and thought I would give it another go - this is THE biggest brick wall in my tree and its my own name so i really would like to get passed it...

Im a long long way from London and wondered if anyone could look up something for me at the London met Archives please?

here are the things I would be interested in (the Discharge books mainly) which someone found me above:

WEBG/CW/048/15 (1917-1918)
WEBG/CW/048/16 (1918)
WEBG/CW/048/17 (1918-1920)
Fulham Road Workhouse: Admission and Discharge Book

WEBG/CW/053/2 (1916-1919)
Fulham Road Workhouse: Case Book

WEBG/CW/051/4 (1917-1919)
Fulham Road Workhouse: Creed Register

I would really appreciate any help

Thanks very much
Alison

Moderator comment: several other threads on this subject

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,169014.0/topicseen.html

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 May 07 10:26 BST (UK) »
I sympathise with you problem, I have a similar example only with the very common name of DAVIS, I have little hope of progress until the release of the 1911 census provides any clues.

Jorose has already suggested Jervis SALTER could be the grandfather's name, it is also possible it could be the name of a brother, cousin or uncle. names of relatives were often used for the father on a marriage certificates to conceal illegitimacy.

You also need to consider the fact that Ethel may have been from outside London, many girls graduated to London  to go into service, or to conceal their pregnancy. You may want to consider further investigation of a SALTER family living in Erdington in Warwickshire in 1901,  they were from Staffordshire and had a daughter Ethel born c1895 in  Handsworth, Staffordshire. RG13/2876/84/2

In Tettenhall Staffordshire which is close to Handsworth, there is another SALTER family where the father and son are both Jarvis. RG13/2667/98/23.

It may be worth trying to find out more about these two families.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 May 07 10:34 BST (UK) »
thanks very much - great minds think alike - i just found that connection of the two families a few minutes ago!

Alison