Author Topic: Inkerman Rows  (Read 8016 times)

Offline KathleenN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inkerman Rows
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
my Hamiltons were at 149 Inkerman for many years - late 1850's until abt 1938. is it the same family?

I am Lynn Hamilton. My father was Douglas Rodger Hamilton. My grandfather Bruce Hamilton brn 1902 was born at 149 Inkerman to Douglas Hamilton and Ann Goodwin. .  My dad played in the blaes when he was very small. The rows came down when he was a child abt 1940.

Any connection? Thnaks, Lynn in Canada

I know this is an old thread but...we're cousins!  My grandmother was Bruce's older sister Susan.

Offline KathleenN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
I have photos if anyone can tell me how to post.

Offline moraggunn2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 November 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Kathleen - I dont know this site well...fnding it labourious to move abt in...lets be in touch if works for you...I met Aunt Susie at John's house in Ontario before she died. Hope you get this.

Offline Bigjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a book in the 'Images of Scotland' collection published by Tempus Publishing covering Linwood.  The last chapter coveres Inkerman and shows two photo's of the actual rows.  There is one photo which might interest you.  It shows 'The Orr Family' c. 1890.  Their address was 28 Second Row.  It names them as James Orr with his wife Isabella Hardy Orr. Their daughter Georgina and son George.  Could they be related?

I would scan and forward these, but I'm afraid there could be a copyright issue.

You could probably obtain a copy of the book either on line or from the publisher.

Tempus Publishing Limited,
The Mill,
Brimscombe Port,
Stroud, Gloucestershire.  GL5 2QG.

The book is full of old photo's of Linwood and covers up until the demise of the car plant.  I even found my mum's best friend in it (I was raised in Linwood). 

It was well worth the 10 pounds

My name is James  Elliott Orr  my father and my grandfather were also that name and came from Inkerman. My great grandparents were James Orr and Isabella Hardy Orr . I live in Linwood and some of my aunts and uncles still live in the area.

Christine.

davieboy - that wouldn't be the councilor, would it? : ;D   
I am not researching these families you mention but thereis a numbers of members of the Orr family still in Linwood. This family have been in the district since the time of the miners rows. You always recognise an Orr, tall slim pointed features. All the men are the same.

I have a friend whose late father's 1st and middle name was William Orr (I wont mention his surname on here). He lived in Linwood all his days. I believe the Orr came from his mother's family.

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Kathleen,
I would appreciate seeing any photos you have. I have Shevlins who lived there.

If you go to the bottom of the page and click on reply a new page will come up.
Below the space for the narrative you will see +" Attachments and other options".
If you press that it will bring up a search option for locating your photos on your pc/laptop.
Just click on each photo it should appear on your message page.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Bigjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
My name is James Elliott Orr my father ,grandfather,and my great grandfather all had the same name and the family came from Inkerman. My great grandmother was Isabella Hardy Orr. I live in Linwood and a few of my aunt's and uncles live in the district