Author Topic: St Davids Day  (Read 5876 times)

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
St Davids Day
« on: Wednesday 01 March 06 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Happy St Davids Day to all you Rootschatters!

Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Dublin - BRADY, GREEN, NEILL & ST LEGER
Kerry - CRIMEEN, CROWLY & DONOGHUE
Longford - FLYNN, WHELAN & DAVIS
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Devon, Som, Glam & Mon - BISSETT
Gloucs, Glam & Mon - ROBERTS
Here, Brec & Mon - WATKINS
Mon - ISRAEL, LEWIS, MATTHEWS, MORGAN & PROBERT
Salop & Mon - EVANS
Census info is crown copyright www.nationalarchives.co

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Davids Day
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Diolch, Kate!

I notice you're also following Lewis family in Monmouthshire, and Roberts in Glamorgan.  I'd be interested in details as I'm doing the same.  I used to be a Roberts (Rhondda and Cardiff) and my mother was a Lewis from Mynyddislwyn.  I've done a considerable amount of research in all areas but have come to a brick wall with some parts!

Hwyl
Iolanthe
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Diolch, Kate!

I notice you're also following Lewis family in Monmouthshire, and Roberts in Glamorgan.  I'd be interested in details as I'm doing the same.  I used to be a Roberts (Rhondda and Cardiff) and my mother was a Lewis from Mynyddislwyn.  I've done a considerable amount of research in all areas but have come to a brick wall with some parts!

Hwyl
Iolanthe

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iolanthe, my Lewis' were from Blaenavon, I've only gone back to c1815 with my ggg grandfather Abraham Lewis and what I have is a bit sketchy, he married a Mary ?Brown c1819 in about 1836 (just a bit annoying), they had four children that I know of Sarah c1841, Ann (my gg nan) c1844, Rebecca c1847 and Elizabeth c1848 all born Upper Llanover, Blaenavon. Ann married John Morgan 1837 and they had my g nan Edith May 1888 who married Thomas Israel 1883, all in Blaenavon.
 My Roberts only briefly lived in Glamorgan in Cadoxton, Barry. Elizabeth Roberts was my g nan born 1876 in Bristol who married William Henry Bissett born 1877 in Torrington, Devon and they married in Cardiff in 1900. Her parents were Thomas Roberts born c1815 in Monmouthshire and Mary ? c1838 born Abergavenny. I guess its possible they may have been related somewhere, but then again Lewis and Roberts are probably the most common names in Wales! I have Rogers from Mynyddislwyn and other realtives in the Tredegar/Bedwellty area but mostly we were centred around Blaenavon.

All the best
Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 06 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate

Thanks for your reply re Roberts and Lewis.  From my research, I doubt that we have a direct connection, unless one of the Lewis brothers in the 1840s moved over to Blaenavon.  My direct ancestors are centered around Ynysddu, in particular, Pantyffynnon farm on Mynyddislwyn mountain, and Quarry cottages close by.  My G Grandfather was Lewis Lewis, born about 1838, and his father was Thomas Lewis.

My Roberts family were mainly in Trealaw, originally from N Wales, and then my grandfather moved down to Cardiff to live when they were building the Civic centre in 1900ish.

Pob hwyl

Iolanthe

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 06 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate again  -  a PS to my previous message!

I also notice you're following Morgans from Monmouthshire.  I  have sideways connections to Morgan families.  My G Grandmother Martha Evans had an older sister, Mary,  who married a David Morgan in 1856.  The Evans family were from Machen.  Mary and David Morgan had several children between 1857 and 1870.

Another side of my family also has a Morgan connection.  My G Grandfather, David Jenkins, from Hafod Owen farm, Abercarn, had a younger sister, Cecelia who married a John Morgan and they had three boys.  Do any of these match your searches?  As you said earlier, the names were very common, so the chances of hitting the right one are quite slim!

Iolanthe

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 06 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, all of my Morgans are from Blaenavon, Llanfoist and Llanwenarth, we seem quite rooted there! My g nan was Edith May Morgan 1888 who married Thomas Israel, Thomas' sister Blodwen also married a Morgan, a Tom Morgan c1895, do not know where he was from, I have always presumed Blaenavon, but you never know. I don't know his parentage or any of his siblings. I don't have any Evans or Jenkins in my family tree, but thats not to say there aren't any out there.
These are the other names I have in my tree from (mainly Blaenavon area), Newport area, St Brides and other parts of Glamorgan, many of the names originate from Devon, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Somerset
Allen, Allsop, Barrett, Bland, Broad, Charles, Chivers, Coombs, Davey, Davies, Davis, Drew, Edwards, Fowler, Francis, Fry, Goodwin, Griffiths, Gwillim, Hanks, Harris, Hescott, Hughes, Jacobs, James, Jones, Llewellyn, Matthews, Nash, Plummer, Pugh, Ravenhill, Richards, Smith ans Sommerville (not too many!)

All the best
Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline Radnorshire Kelly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 July 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again, all of my Morgans are from Blaenavon, Llanfoist and Llanwenarth, we seem quite rooted there! My g nan was Edith May Morgan 1888 who married Thomas Israel, Thomas' sister Blodwen also married a Morgan, a Tom Morgan c1895, do not know where he was from, I have always presumed Blaenavon, but you never know. I don't know his parentage or any of his siblings. I don't have any Evans or Jenkins in my family tree, but thats not to say there aren't any out there.
These are the other names I have in my tree from (mainly Blaenavon area), Newport area, St Brides and other parts of Glamorgan, many of the names originate from Devon, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Somerset
Allen, Allsop, Barrett, Bland, Broad, Charles, Chivers, Coombs, Davey, Davies, Davis, Drew, Edwards, Fowler, Francis, Fry, Goodwin, Griffiths, Gwillim, Hanks, Harris, Hescott, Hughes, Jacobs, James, Jones, Llewellyn, Matthews, Nash, Plummer, Pugh, Ravenhill, Richards, Smith ans Sommerville (not too many!)

All the best
Kate.

Hi Kate,
I'm very new to this so please be patient !!
I have noticed a few things in your post that are interesting, I was searching for the surname "Ravenhill" when I came across yours
My late great grandmother was born and raised in the valleys she was a Drew, she went on to marry a Ravenhill and they had 3 sons, one of which is my grandfather Ronald Ravenhill.
Ronald met and married Eleanor fry and went on to have 2 children one of which is my mother...
They moved from the valleys to ledbury area of Herefordshire, England...
I will try and find out some more info from my grand father and post what I find ...
:-)

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, thanks for contacting me. The Ravenhill's in my tree were originally from Herefordshire, Fownhope and Woolhope so halfway between Hereford and Ledbury. Thomas William Ravenhill 1872-1931 moved to Blaenavon c1890 to work in the Ironworks. All of his children were born there. The rest of the family remained in Herefordshire. I believe the name is a Herefordshire name of Norman origin.

Kind regards
Katy
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Salop & Mon - EVANS