Author Topic: Thomson Leith 1851 Census  (Read 5962 times)

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomson Leith 1851 Census
« on: Saturday 04 March 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
My paternal ancestors were Thomas and Elizabeth Thomson, from Leith.
While still in Scotland, they had children named Thomas(1844), George(1846), Alexander(1848), David(1851), and James(1856).
Before trying to get more information about earlier history, I'd like to confirm that Elizabeth's maiden name was Glen.
I have a marriage certificate for Thomas Thomson and Elizabeth Glen, dated 1844, St.Cuthbert's, Edinburgh. I also have a birth record for their first child, Thomas, in North Leith in 1844.

One of the missing pieces of the puzzle is the whereabouts of the family at the time of the 1851 census. Can anyone help me on that one?

The address of the family, the occupation of Thomas, and the family names/ages would help greatly.

Another puzzle. The occupation of Elizabeth's father was, apparently, a "meter". Anyone know what a meter was? I looked at a comprehensive list of 19th century occupations but there was no mention of a meter. Yahoo search also came up negative.

Any other information on this family would also be appreciated.

It seems they moved down to The Isle of Dogs around 1856, so that Thomas could find work on the building of the Great Eastern ship. The history of the family from then on is documented in the book "The Isle of Dogs - 1066-1918 - A brief History - Volume I". Some of the family settled on The Isle of Dogs, while some moved up to the Hull area.

When they moved to England, the Thomson name mostly got spelled with the "p", although by the 20th century it was back to Thomson.
Thomas Thomson, blacksmith/boilermaker, born c1820, Midlothian, married Elizabeth Glen, 1844. Children: Thomas(1844), George (1846), Alexander (1848), David (1851), James (1856), Elizabeth (1861).
Family probably from Leith, but Thomas snr worked in shipbuilding in Burntisland, Greenock, Durham, Hull, and Millwall/Poplar.
My g-grandfather is David. Family moved to Isle of Dogs 1857.
Some of family settled in Hull area.

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson Leith 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 06 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Could the occupation be metster  - Official measurer of goods or land for sale ?
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »
It's possible. Metster is the closest I've seen. Unfortunately, I don't have any more information to go on.
However, in 1841, I believe he was working as a porter, and his age was about 50. It seems a bit unlikely that a 50-year old porter would become a metster.
The metster occupation seems to me to imply a somewhat educated person, whereas a porter was probably less educated?
The writing on the parish record is very clear, and it definitely says meter, but I understand that in those days words could often be spelled differently.
Thanks for your post. I'll post again if I find any more information.
Thomas Thomson, blacksmith/boilermaker, born c1820, Midlothian, married Elizabeth Glen, 1844. Children: Thomas(1844), George (1846), Alexander (1848), David (1851), James (1856), Elizabeth (1861).
Family probably from Leith, but Thomas snr worked in shipbuilding in Burntisland, Greenock, Durham, Hull, and Millwall/Poplar.

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 March 06 18:20 GMT (UK) »
If he was a porter, could it be as simple as a mis-spelling of "meeter" ? i.e. some one who meets and greets?
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 06 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Maybe, but I've never heard of domestic staff being referred to as meeters.
Then again, I'm no expert in this area.

Offline jessden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 July 06 14:03 BST (UK) »
A Metter or Meter in Leith was a person who measured cargos of grain etc.  He would have worked in the Docks or Harbour.  this was a very responsible job as a lot of grain came into Leith

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 July 06 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that's very helpful.
What was the source of that information?

Incidentally, I have now confirmed that Elizabeth Thomson's maiden name was Glen.
The family were in Burntisland at the time of the 1851 census, no doubt because Thomas had found work in the shipyards.

Offline jessden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 July 06 11:14 BST (UK) »
The information was given on the basis of local knowledge - from involvement with local history in Leith and the FreeCen 1841 census project for Midlothian.  However there are sources that mention Metters, including "The Port of Leith" by Sue Mowat (ISBN 0-85976-403-6) The Index to this book contains quite a lot of references to Metters. In 1822 the Society of Sworn Meters and Weighers of Leith was set up. It continued to exist until 1969 and its records are in the Edinburgh City Archives.  The Metters were "sworn" because they had to swear an oath to act honestly in their work.

I hope this is helpful.

Jessden

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 July 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jessden. That was very helpful.

Since first posting this thread, I've confirmed a lot of information about my g-g-grandparents, Thomas Thomson and Elizabeth Glen. I now know Thomas was a Leith blacksmith and he married Elizabeth at St. Cuthbert's on January 1, 1844. Their address at the time of their marriage was Storrars Land, Hillhousefield, Bonnington.

Information from 1841 lists Thomas as a blacksmith journeyman and his address as Smiths Land Fox Lane, South Leith. Unfortunately, I have not yet figured out the names of Thomas's parents. Other Thomsons living with Thomas in 1841 include Janet, a widow aged about 60-65, Alexander, an apprentice engineer aged about 15-20, Jessie (14), and Janet (4).
It seems highly unlikely that 4-year old Janet would be the daughter of the widow Janet, but Thomas, Alexander and Jessie could be the widow Janet's children. I think the widow Janet was born in Liberton.

I've searched extensively through the census and BMD data but can't seem to find any definitive evidence pointing to Thomas's parents. I've emailed the National Library of Scotland to request help in finding blacksmith apprentice records for Leith, which may show more information about Thomas, including the identity of his parents.

I did find an extremely good 1822 map of Leith that shows street names and property ownership, so I can see where places like Bonnington, Hillhousefield, Fox Lane, Elbe Street and Pilrig House are located. I believe Elizabeth Glen worked at Pilrig House.

With your local knowledge, can you suggest any lines of research that could identify Thomas Thomson's parents?