Author Topic: Thomson Leith 1851 Census  (Read 5969 times)

Offline thock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson Leith 1851 Census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 July 11 15:15 BST (UK) »
hi 1wycombe
    I was intrested to read that you are searching for a blacksmith from leith. I am also searching for a blacksmith called Liston King who married a jacobina Millar in 1825 in Dalkieth/South Leith? If you have any luck with the apprentice records I would be most greatfull if you could tell me where you got the information.

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson Leith 1851 Census
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 July 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi thock,
It's been a few years since I last searched for my paternal family tree. Another researcher has identified the likely parents of my g-g-grandfather, Thomas Thomson, but that is as far as I have got so far.
As for Edinburgh blacksmiths, there is quite a lot of information on the internet, particularly if you search under Edinburgh burgesses. I was not able to find any reference to my ancestor, but you might have more luck with yours. Unfortunately, the surname Thomson in Scotland is as common as Smith is in England, so it's been difficult to find unequivocal evidence of my family. The site http://www.electricscotland.com/history/records/index.htm is quite helpful.
However, in September I'm planning a trip to Edinburgh to continue the search and will be looking again at apprentice records. I'll keep a note of the names you mention and will let you know if I find anything interesting.
It will be my first trip to Edinburgh, so I'm looking forward to visiting some of the places that have featured in my research.
Regards,
1wycombe
Thomas Thomson, blacksmith/boilermaker, born c1820, Midlothian, married Elizabeth Glen, 1844. Children: Thomas(1844), George (1846), Alexander (1848), David (1851), James (1856), Elizabeth (1861).
Family probably from Leith, but Thomas snr worked in shipbuilding in Burntisland, Greenock, Durham, Hull, and Millwall/Poplar.
My g-grandfather is David. Family moved to Isle of Dogs 1857.
Some of family settled in Hull area.