Author Topic: mcgilvray - Calder(Cawdor) and Greenock  (Read 14701 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mcgilvray - Calder(Cawdor) and Greenock
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 01:04 BST (UK) »
Are you still interested in following  this line? I've just noticed that your original posting was a while ago!

I've found a marriage/banns of Donald McGillivray to a Catherine MacDonald, 14 June 1833, Cawdor. It is obviously the ones I found in the census. I wonder if it was a second marriage :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 07:32 BST (UK) »
I'd still like to find a birth notice for her.  I'll have another look on Scotland's People after reviewing the help I've received from Rootschat.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 11:49 BST (UK) »
hi gadget, sheena,

had another wee look at this looking for clues.

started at the 1861 census

1861- 14 cathcart street, greenock (mckirdy family)

alexander...age 54...boatman & porter
elizabeth...age 38
andrew s...age 15...seaman
james mcl...age 2
catherine mcgillvary...niece...age 14 (is this my clue?)

1851 census- 24 market street, greenock (mcgillvary family)

john...age 34...queen's porter...born ardlach (?)
janet...age 25...born glasgow
catherine...age 4

1841 census- st.andrew's square, greenock (james stark Minister)

elizabeth...age 20...female servant

cannot find john and janet in 1861 but their daughter remains in greenock and works as a servant in the 1871 census and the 1881 census.

in the 1841 census there is a farmer's widow called elizabeth mcgillvary aged 68 and staying in dunmaglass in nairn, she is born inverness, wonder why the family is on the census as inverness as we know clearly it is nairn?

Joe

helping wherever possible

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 August 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
hi gadget, sheena,

had another wee look at this looking for clues.

started at the 1861 census

1861- 14 cathcart street, greenock (mckirdy family)

alexander...age 54...boatman & porter
elizabeth...age 38
andrew s...age 15...seaman
james mcl...age 2
catherine mcgillvary...niece...age 14 (is this my clue?)

1851 census- 24 market street, greenock (mcgillvary family)

john...age 34...queen's porter...born ardlach (?)
janet...age 25...born glasgow
catherine...age 4

1841 census- st.andrew's square, greenock (james stark Minister)

elizabeth...age 20...female servant

cannot find john and janet in 1861 but their daughter remains in greenock and works as a servant in the 1871 census and the 1881 census.

in the 1841 census there is a farmer's widow called elizabeth mcgillvary aged 68 and staying in dunmaglass in nairn, she is born inverness, wonder why the family is on the census as inverness as we know clearly it is nairn?

Joe

Hi Joe - Re the last part about Widow McGillivray (staying at Dunmaglass), the only Dunmaglass I have heard of is in the Parish of Daviot & Dunlichity, by Inverness - however there is mention of the parish boundaries changing....  copy & pasting part of same:  In 1891 the county boundary was also altered, so that the part of Daviot & Dunlichity, which formerly lay in the county of Nairn, is now in the county of Inverness. 
There were a lot of McGillivrays as Tenants in Dunmaglass, as well as the Clan McGillivrays owning the estate at one time. 
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 August 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Some of this I've already got, but you've given me quite a bit to think about.   Today is my "research day", so I'll be able to take it all in and work through it.  I'll let you know if I can add anything.

Regards

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 September 17 05:49 BST (UK) »
Regards to all.  Just letting you know that I'm back to my research project again.  I printed the birth certificate for Elizabeth's son, William Alexander Mckirdy, and it gives her birthplace as Ardlach, Nairn.  A little reading explains that Nairn and Inverness are now the same administrative region, so perhaps the borders have been a bit fluid.  That, together with your info, might move me forward.  Will let you know.

Sheena

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 September 17 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe

I've done a search on Scotland's People for Donald McGilvray (using wildcards) and McPherson marriage, but found nothing.  Can you give me a tip?

Sheena

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 September 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Sheena

Use "Name Variants" only enter Donald McGilivray leave everything else blank.  When it propagates the the OPR banns you can then sort them by clicking the Spouse Name heading then scroll down to McPherson.  This way you if McPherson is spelled incorrectly it will show.

However I did find this when doing same using McPherson for the search.

MCPHERSON   ANN   DONALD MCGILVERA/FR1864 (FR1864) 28/10/1804 622/70 264   Barony

And when searching children only using the surname and parent 1 (Donald) I did see both an Ann and a Christy McPherson as the mother between 1790-1854.

HTH

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 18 05:39 GMT (UK) »
An update on Elizabeth McGillvray.  Known facts:  she married widow Alexander McKirdy 1854.  1861 census gives birthplace as Inverness.  1871 census gives birthplace as Inverness, Calder. 1881 census birthplace could be Inverness, Inverness-shire.  She married John Hearn in 1872.

1861 census, her niece Catherine McGillvray is present.  Found her with her parents in 1851, father John's birthplace given as Ardclach, Nairn. 

Elizabeth had her first son in 1855 (lucky!) and it claims she is 33 and was born in Ardclach. 

At her marriage to Hearn and on her death cert, parents are given as Donald McGillvray and Elizabeth McPherson.  I found a number of children born to parents of those names in Ardclach, including a John and an Elizabeth (Elspet) (1819).  It seems quite convincing that she was born in Ardclach.

The only marriage I could find in the names of the parents was in Barony, Lanark, which seems unlikely.

Her age is a problem.  In 1855 she is 33, 1861 she is 38, 1871 45, 1872 44, 1881 56.  Her death notice in 1899 claims is is 66.  Allowing for illiteracy, it seems unlikely that she was born in 1819 when Donald and Ann had a child named Elizabeth.  It is possible that the first Elizabeth died, and a later child was given the same name.

I found an Elizabeth as a FS in 1841 aged 14, in Deviot but that seems unlikely.  There's another in Greenock in 1841 as a FS, aged 20.  Might be a better fit.

Given the expertise amonst this group, I'd love to have your thoughts on this.

Sheena