Author Topic: Polmont burials  (Read 17198 times)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Polmont burials
« on: Saturday 02 October 04 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm wondering if anyone has access to Polmont Cemetary.
I have a family called Jeffrey that I know are buried there.
I have been told that the parish lost it's records in a fire and death dates are proving hard to find.

I would be interested in any or all headstone info on this surname, if SKS is there for any reason please, I would be very grateful.

many thanks
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Polmont burials
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya ladybird,

I had a look at the transcribed pre-1855 memorial inscriptions published for Polmont and there were no Jeffery at all the nearest name was Jarvey a lady called Ann.

Not sure if it is a pre-1855 grave you would be looking for?

Happy digging,
Pam
:-)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks anyway Pam, sorry I haven't replied before now but I've been offline for a few days
I've actually solved my problem by a search through Scotlandspeople, and a very nice lady in Polmont has helped a lot
thanks for your time, Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ccr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 06 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I wonder could either of you help me. How do I get hold of the transcribed memorial inscriptions for Polmont? Are there any for Muiravonside cemetery? I
I'm trying to find some inscriptions for the Bryce family there and would be grateful for any help,
Chris

Offline Dano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 06 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

this is all a bit criptic but here is the Pre 1855 Monumental Inscriptions for

Muiravonside Bryce.  There is also a Brice, and testaments listed for
Alex. Bryce flesher Madinstone 1704
Alex. Bryce portioner Madinstone 1716
Archd Bryce in Hillhead & w margt Mairshall 1685;
Archd Bryce in Easter Hillhead 1744
Archd Bryce portioner Knowhead 1747
Margt Bryce w of John Dick in Hill of Madistoun 1666

#86 Grey Granite

Bryce ; Allan B. in Blackstoen 13.5.1852, w Margaret Calder 23.4.1884, chn Eliz 7.2.1840 Margt 15.6.1847, Margt 23.2.1879, Cornelius 22.5.1890, And 23.12.1895.

#87 restored 1877 by Wm Bryce engine driver N.B. railway (on top); (east side) 1732; fa Wm B. 2.2.1878, Mo Magrt Bell J - AB; (west side) G.B. M.B. 23.1.1880 77

Polmont pre 1855 MIs

Bryce #276
(Tall Urn); Richard Ballantine 3.4.1834 13.8.1881, W Marion Dick 17.9.1885 51, s And 12.8.1877 7y 4m, 1s John 4.3.1889 35 (w Janet Bryce 16.7.1921 60) 2s Alex 5.10.1912 45, 3s Jas 29.1.1922 53 (wife Wife Mary Brown 16.12.1951 79)

Hope this all makes sense or that someone more knowledgeable can translate for you.  Please let the group know if this helps you make a connection.

Regards
Dano

Stirlingshire, Scotland - Aitken, Waddell, Wilson, Rae, Dunlop, Liddell, McLuckie. Laird
Carmarthen, Wales - Lewis
Carvan, Ireland - Coyle
N.S.W. Australia - Lewis, Morris

Offline ccr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 06 10:17 GMT (UK) »
It certainly does help. The one restored by Wm Bryce engine driver is that of my gt gt grandfather William and his wife Margaret Bell Bryce. I presume the other initials refer to his children . I know the names of his parents, they were William Bryce and Grizel Clarkson but I have been totally unable to find any record of their deathsThey married in 1794 and I know that Grizel at least lived until1830 as there is a record of a court case between her and Cornelius Bryce in the Archives though as yet I have not seen it as I live in Wales and cannot get to E?burgh yet.
Still don't know who my gt gt gt grandfathers parents were and there are just so many Bryces around and of course the Naming pattern makes it very difficult to decide who is who. Any help anyone can give on this matter would be hugely appreciated.
I am fairly sure that the families of William and Allan Bryce are related as the name Cornelius was carried through the family as far as my great uncle Corney Bryce  whom I remember from when I was a little girl.
I am the great granddaughter of John Bell Bryce who is buried in Muiravonside cemetery
Thanks for your help. I may also have a question about Polmont and Bo'ness pre 1855 burials, Matthew Donaldson and Catherine Main.
Regards to the group Chris.
PS do you have any ideas where else I could find info apart from Scotlandspeople ( superb site) and the Scottish Archives.

Offline Dano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 February 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Chris,

I have Matthew Donaldson & Catherine Main on my database.  Not directly related but I tracked this couple to get to my Donaldson family.

The couple had 10 children beginning with John Donaldson b 1810 Carriden, West Lothian and ending with Robert b 1834 Polmont.

The 5th Child Helen Donaldson b 1820 Carriden was the 2nd wife of Colin McLuckie (son of James McLuckie & Jean Brown - b 1817 Larbert d 1887 Larbert) I have both Colin's & Helen's (died 1886 Polmont) death certificates. let me know if you would like copies of them.

Colin is my 3rd cousin & I have copies of his marriage to Helen Donaldson.  Just for the information of any group members who may be interested, his 1st wife was Margaret Towers (b 1822 - 1870 daughter of Robert Towers & Elizabeth Dick)  I have her death certificate as well as that of her mother.

Janet Towers, the sister of Margaret , was the 2nd wife of James McLuckie, brother of Colin.  Oh how twisted is our Scottish history.

Regards
Dano
Stirlingshire, Scotland - Aitken, Waddell, Wilson, Rae, Dunlop, Liddell, McLuckie. Laird
Carmarthen, Wales - Lewis
Carvan, Ireland - Coyle
N.S.W. Australia - Lewis, Morris

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 February 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

The 3 Bryce Stones in Muiravonside Churchyard as as are follows:

(Stone Badly Eroded)
.........????   family
WILLIAM BRYCE who died ? July 1873 aged ?
Also his wife AGNES BOAG died 25th June 1888 aged 81 years
WILLIAM BRYCE son of James Bryce died 23rd September 1889 aged 4 years

Erected to the memory of ALLAN BRYCE, Blackston died 13th May 1852
And his wife MARGARET CALDER died 23rd April 1884
Also their family
ELIZABETH who died 7th February 1840
MARGARET who died 1st June 1847
CORNELIUS who died 22nd May 1890
ANDREW who died 23rd December 1895

In memory of JOHN CALDER of Hill who died 4th September 1890 aged 85 years
Also his wife MARGARET BRYCE who died 9th June 1898 aged 62 years

The published pre-1855 MI's are all abbreviated and sometimes it makes life just that wee bit more complicated trying to figure out what the abbreviations mean. I transcribed the above three last summer and obviously they have got much more worn or eroded since the late sixties when they were first done. The first part of the inscription on the first stone above was almost impossible to de-cypher. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me the day I went to Muiravonside but I'm  hoping to head out that way someday soon.

Anne.

P.S. I transcribe 'what I think' the inscription says! It can be really difficult to make out the difference between a 3 and an 8 for example and I'd hate to be responsible for giving the wrong dates!

Offline ccr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 February 06 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, I'm sure these Bryces are related to my family. What I am looking for is a William Bryce and Grizel Clarkson but do you think I can find them anywhere. They were married in Muiravonside in 1794 and I know Grizel was still alive in 1830 but I can find no trace of either death anywhere. It's REALLY frustrating to have got so far back and to have come to a halt.
Chris