Author Topic: Sion House Academy,St Saviour, Jersey  (Read 10008 times)

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sion House Academy,St Saviour, Jersey
« on: Sunday 05 March 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »

Does anyone know anything of the history of the above?
This was a boarding school upto approx 1871. The headmaster was Elias Neel.
My grandfather Henry Montagu was a pupil there in 1851, and as I am unable to trace his family or any record of his early years, and  no records are kept of the school, it is just a slim chance that someone can provide me with some information.
Ever hopeful

Helenna

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sion House Academy,St Saviour, Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 July 07 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Helenna

I know it's over a year since you made this request, but do you still require information?

Stewart

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 07 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Hill,

Thanks what a surprise.   If you can supply the details that I asked for a year ago, then the answer is definately - yes please.
Still looking for Henry Grahame Montagu's early details.

Many thanks
Helenna

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Helenna

Have just returned from the Archive Centre and they have confirmed that they have no records for Sion House Academy. I'm told that there were quite a few private schools around this time and they have none of the records.

However I have found out a few things about the school. Sion House is/was also known as Sion Hall and then later it was converted and became the Hotel L'Emeraude. It was only in the past few months that it was purchased by a property developer and is currently being used to house farm workers! I called in at the Societe Jersiaise to see if they had any information and the librarian was actually doing some research on the building for another person. She let me see an unpublished book which had the following comments:

Mr Elias Neel was a very prominent Wesleyan Methodist who had conducted a very successful private school at Sion House in the parish of St Saviour since 1825. ("Chronique de Jersey, December 10 1831"). He had been elected a Jurat on November 24, 1860 ("B.S.J., viii, P.353") and consequently not much time was lost on his being a member of the assembly.

The librarian also pointed me to a web-site called:

www.reg-garden.com/about_reg.htm

Whilst this all about a garden in Jersey, the references to Reg's life show that his grandparents lived at Sion Hall and the pictures are taken in the front of the house. See those pictures of a house with pillars. If you want to know more detailed information it might be worth getting in touch with the librarian on 01534 758314 or look at their web-site. There are also pictures of Sion Hall to be found:

www.societe-jersiaise.org

As regards Henry Grahame Montagu, what led you to Jersey? I can see in the 1891 census a man of the same name living in Walcott Somerset having been born 1839 in Canterbury. Would that be the same one?

Stewart

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Stewart,
Thankyou so much for going to so much trouble and for obtaining so much information and passing it on to me. Am overwhelmed.
Henry Grahame Montagu is the same that you found at Walcot.  A long ongoing saga here. He was my grandfather and on all documents states he was born 1839 Bridge Nr Canterbury. However in spite of extensive research have been unable to find details of his birth and parentage. But, do know everything about him from the age of 17. He was married 4 times and had 19 children and none of us know of his parentage. However, the details were sent  me of Henry Montagu as a pupil at Sion House in the 1851 census. The dates all matched and as one of the stories that had been handed down was that he was educated abroad, could this be him. ??? I did gather after some enquiries that no records were kept, which always seem to be the answer to any enquiries.
Once again really appreciate your help and will follow up on what you have so kindly sent me.

Thanks
Helenna

Offline james lynn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 February 14 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Helenna,
I am a descendant of the Neel family that owned Sion Hall.  My Grandfather was born there. I have a picture of the house before it became a hotel. I have history on the Neel family going back to Jacques Neel, born 1570, died 10, July, 1617, Grouville. Samuel Neel son of Elias came to the US about 1885. Several of the Neels stayed back in Jersey, living at Sion Hall.  The house was used by the Germans durring WWll. The family lost control of the house at that time.  I was unaware that the house was used as a boarding school. My mother, who is a Neel, only refered to the house as the Neel home.
James Lynn

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:12 GMT (UK) »
But, do know everything about him from the age of 17. He was married 4 times ....
Thanks
Helenna

The Bath Chronicle, Sat 1 Apr 1916, obituary of a Henry Grahame Montagu, Inspector of Nuisances to the Bath Corporation, has him joining the army at 17, in the Crimea with Royal Fusiliers, in India and the Mutiny with the Somerset regiment (the old 13th) and coming to Bath with the 2nd Somerset Militia.

(a) is this "your" Henry? (b) if so, did you find any army records for him and (c) have none of his 4 marriage certs yielded father's name/occupation ie. blank/state deceased (or similar)?

Offline Rosemary sanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi James Lynn, just looking the Neel family as I'm a member. My family also came from Sion House and we have a family tree, researched about 25 years ago by my uncle. More details if you ever find this message! (We have a family portrait of Elias and his wife).

Offline Ch.Join-Lambert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi James Lynn and Rosemary. I am a member of the Neel family too (in France), descendant of Elias Neel (1790-1855) maried (1807) to Mary Mourant (1790-1858), owners of Sion House, parents of 15 children... whose name and birthdate I have.
My great-great-grand-father, Philippe-James (1816-1892) was one of those children :  the  fifth or sixth.
I am VERY much  interested in James's history of the Neel family and the picture of Sion House; in Rosemary's family tree and the portrait of Elias (1808-1895) and his wife (Ann Lebas). I also have a portrait of Elias. Hope you'll find this message and answer. Thanks in advance.
Christine Join-Lambert, born Neel