Author Topic: Bookeys of Castlepollard  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Balfour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bookeys of Castlepollard
« on: Sunday 05 March 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to track a teacher called Richard H Bookey who taught at Berkhamsted in 1891.  He originated from Castlepollard, and moved back to Ireland around 1891.  I would like to find out whether he started up another school in Ireland and whether he took some of his Berkhamsted pupils with him.  The pupils I am particularly interested in are Cecil Rowland (aged 13 in 1891) and Lancelot Bullock (10 in 1891).

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Bookeys of Castlepollard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 08 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Balfour,

Does the source which states that Richard H Bookey moved back to Ireland give any clue where he settled when he returned? Searching through the records of all Irish schools around 1891 could be quite a task.  Does the school where he taught at Berkhamsted have any records ... possibly a school magazine ... which would say whereabouts he went settled in Ireland?

Why would Cecil and Lancelot have accompanied Richard? Did these pupils have Irish connections?

Was Cecil a son of Annie Ellen and the Rev. William Rowland?

Christopher

Offline Balfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 08 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christopher

Good to hear from you.  I am winding my brain back to Cecil and Sydney.  I have neglected the poor chaps lately.  Yes, Cecil was Sydney's younger brother, born in India and the son of Annie Ellen and William Rowland.  His mother later eloped with Cornelius John M'Kenna, leaving the Revd. William with four children.  The children were all farmed out at schools/boarding houses for a bit.

My notes are all in disarray, but I am pretty sure I didn't know whereabouts in Ireland Cecil's schoolmaster went to after he left Berkhamsted.  I was just guessing that perhaps he went back to his home town of Castle Pollard. 

I was also guessing that he might have taken Cecil with him to his next school back in Ireland.  If Cecil's father was happy with the way Richard Bookey was educating him, and his mother was perhaps living in Ireland with her Irish Cornelius M'Kenna so that she could have Cecil during the holidays, they might have felt this was a good idea.

I hadn't thought of the possibility of a school magazine, but I have the feeling perhaps the school was too small for that.  I think it was one of those little places which sprang up to take on children of people working out in India etc.  Probably once Richard Bookey left, the house would have returned to being a private house.  It's an idea, though - I am going to have a look on the next census return, the 1901, and see who was living there. 

I am now late for work and it is all your fault.  How work interferes with the interesting things in life.

Thank you so much for your interest and getting me going again.

Angie

Offline Meinwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Balfour

I just noticed your post while I was doing some research on Richard (Hastings) BOOKEY. I have some information about him if you are still interested. He moved to a school in Bray, Co. Wicklow c. 1895 after his marriage in England. He was a teacher and subsequently Headmaster of the Aravon School, Old Conna House, Bray, Co. Wicklow until 1927. The School is celebrating its 150 Anniversary this year.

Best Wishes

Meinwen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Richard and his wife Catherine living next to a National School in Bray on the 1901 census :

Bookey household, 1901

an in 1911 living at a boarding school on Meath Road, Bray

Bookey household, 1911

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Meinwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Aravon School was on Meath St., Bray until it moved to Old Conna Hse in 1984. It 1901 Richard Bookey appears to have been next door to Aravon School and in 1911 he was residing in the boarding school. I believe he became Head Master there in 1912

Meinwen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Balfour, the original poster of the query has not been online since April last year, but hopefully will see the notification emails and log back in to see these additional details.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline winstoncunningham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I may be able to add a little more about Richard Hastings Bookey's background.  :)

He was the grandson of David Hastings Macadam M.R.C.S. (1798-1871), a physician and member of the Royal Dublin Society who had homes in Castlepollard (Co.Westmeath) and Bray (Co.Wicklow). David Macadam's daughter, Katharine Rebecca Macadam (1832-1906) married Richard Bookey of Dublin (1812-1862)  and had at least three children.....

Richard Hastings Bookey (b.1856 Castlepollard)
Ernest Wilberforce Bookey (b.1862 London)
Catherine Bookey (b.1863 London?)

Richard and Katharine Bookey moved to England and are in Islington per the 1861 census  - their eldest son Richard is not with them and may have been with his grandparents in Ireland. By the 1871 census Katherine has been widowed and is living in Shardlow, Derby, where she is a schoolmistress. Katherine went on to establish a girls' boarding school at The Ferns, a beautiful grade 2 listed building at 56, Town Street in Duffield, north of Derby, where she was assisted by her daughter Catherine.

Richard Hastings Bookey and his brother Ernest were sent to Derby School, and both became schoolmasters under the influence of their mother. Richard taught in Berkhamsted (with his sister) and Ernest moved north to teach at Newcastle Royal Grammar. Richard married in 1891 and it is here that I may declare my interest - he married a local Duffield heiress, Catherine Sarah Harvey. The Harvey family owned Peckwash Mill, a major paper mill business based in Little Eaton near Duffield which traded as Tempest and Son. I have been researching Peckwash Mill, as members of my own Clarke family worked there for many years under the Tempests and the Harveys.

After their marriage, Richard Hastings Bookey and his wife Catherine moved back to Ireland, where (as you have mentioned) Richard taught at Bray near his grandfather's estate. By then Catherine Sarah Bookey nee Harvey and her brother John Tempest Harvey had inherited controlling interests in the Peckwash business, but unfortunately the business fell on hard times and ceased trading in 1906.

Katherine Rebecca Macadam had a brother, the Reverend Wilberforce Hastings Macadam (b.1838) - I have not been able to find out why the Wilberforce name was so popular in the family.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
WC