Author Topic: Pond: Blandford  (Read 12563 times)

Offline snaggletooth

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pond: Blandford
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 March 06 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to try...but commonsense tells me that it would be a neverending journey.

Let me lay out the main line I'm following:

Sam Pond (1856/7) married Sarah Emma Burt 1877. She was from Devizes.

They had at least 1 child - Samuel Francis born 1879 (the Frank in your note?) . He came to Australia, and I know about him from then on. I didn't know about the rest of the kids. But Burt fits in nicely.

The problem is the UK BMD way of not showing who married who, which will temper just how far/at what cost I want to go.

Thanks for all that info...boy, am I glad someone told me about Rootschat!

Regards

Paul
Australia (where its 0845 and 26degC already!)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 March 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
You will find a lot of the early Pond baptisms here (children of William and Ann), proving that William and Samuel are brothers. Weymouth didn't have a church until c1830; Wyke Regis was the church then: http://www.dorset-opc.com/WykeRegis.htm
And to whet your appetite still further, in 1851 Elizabeth Pond, 67, unmarried annuitant, b Weymouth is living in Melcombe Regis; and Charles Pond, 60, b Weymouth, plumber is living in London with his wife, Mary, and children Sarah, 23, and Charles, 20.
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snaggletooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 March 06 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I'll need a wee while to digest all this! but nevertheless, thank you indeed.

Paul
Australia

Offline pete1789

• RootsChat Member
  • Joseph and Rosamond's wedding, 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 March 06 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Charles Pond was also Mayor of Blandford, in 1872 and 1878 - unless there were two Charles Ponds??

Best wishes

Pete
Bishop : Dorset/Guernsey
Blake : Devon/Guernsey
Priaulx : Guernsey
Spencer : Gloucestershire/Hereford
Davis : Hereford
Hammond : Middlesex
Wellings : Middlesex
So far...
All census information:Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snaggletooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 March 06 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Nope - that's one of them! Thanks...

Paul
Australia

Offline snaggletooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 March 06 20:56 GMT (UK) »
From earlier replies (rjknott, dave francis) we know a bit about William and Ann Pond and their children. But I wonder if there were more?

The next chapter (maybe!) in my research came in the form of a cemetery newsletter. If you go to http://www.brightoncemetorians.org/Newsletter/2005/TC1.pdf you can read the article at pp4-5.

I've been looking thru Dorset pages for Sarah and Anne Pond, the two ladies up the top of the family diagram. But so far, I've not made any connection, and I'm unsure how to go about tracing stuff pre-1841. Suggestions welcome!

Regards

Paul
Australia

Offline snaggletooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 April 06 00:48 BST (UK) »
OK folks, here is what I know (or think I know!) about the Ponds of Blandford:

Descendants of William Pond

1     William Pond   b: 1777 Weymouth Dorset England      d: 1846 Blandford Dorset England
..      +Ann Bartlett   b: 1777 Weymouth Dorset England      d: 1858 Blandford Dorset England
........   2     Edward Pond   b: 1803 Weymouth Dorset England      d: 1873 Blandford Dorset England
........   2     Ann Pond   b: 1806      d: 16 Feb 1880 Victoria Australia
............      +John Simmonds   b: 1793 Dorset England   m: 9 May 1827 Dorset England   d: 11 Mar 1860 Victoria Australia
........   2     Lydia Pond   b: 1810 Blandford Dorset England      d: 1845 Blandford Dorset England
............      +John Angel Hodges      m: 2 Feb 1841 Blandford Dorset England   
........   2     Charles Pond   b: 1814 Blandford Dorset England      d: 1881 Blandford Dorset England
............      +Mary Hunt Etheridge   b: 1821 Kingswood Huntingdonshire England   m: 1851 Blandford Dorset England   d: 1907 Blandford Dorset England
........   2     Sarah Pond   b: 1815      
............      +Edwin John Gill   b: 1813 Blandford Dorset England   m: 1840 Blandford Dorset England   d: 1864 Blandford Dorset England
........   2     William Pond   b: 1816 Blandford Dorset England      d: 1889 Blandford Dorset England
............      +Charlotte Self   b: Abt. 1811 Dorchester Dorset England   m: 1841   d: 1884 Blandford Dorset England
........   2     Charlotte Pond   b: 1821 Blandford Dorset England      d: 1846 Blandford Dorset England
........   2     Lucy Pond   b: 1826 Blandford Dorset England      d: 1886 Hampshire England

Thanks to everyone who provided assistance...much appreciated. Please get in touch if you have some connection to this line.

The Gills came to Australia in 1852, and founded a dynasty. They were nurserymen, and Gills Nurseries are still (successfully) in business in Victoria.

Paul
Australia

Offline patony

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 August 08 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

My husband is a son of William Percival Pond. Samuel Francis Pond brother. They came from Blandford.

Offline kijeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 03:51 BST (UK) »
I have just returned from visiting Blandford in June 2014 and saw the Blandford Museum's display on the Pond Family. I also saw a photo of William Pond born 1776 and Charles Pond his son both deacons, in the Blandford United Reformed Church.
I have been researching the Pond family as I am a descendant of Ann Pond born 1806 who married John Simmonds & came to Australia in 1852.
I would be pleased to swap information if I knew how to other Pond family members.