Author Topic: Where is Tom SHANKS?  (Read 5521 times)

Offline RajahNZ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where is Tom SHANKS?
« on: Saturday 02 October 04 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thomas SHANKS b 1880 in Co Wexford, mar Florence TURNER and they had one son Thomas Turner SHANKS.
Florence died in 1963 and her son in in 1996 in Brightlingsea and are buried together in a churchyard in Brightlingsea.
Tom and Florence had the Victoria Free House (Pub) in Spring Road.In 1925 she is shown as manager but what happened to her husband?  I have been unable to find him.

Offline trevtherev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Tom SHANKS?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 08 09:51 BST (UK) »
Is Tom the famous, Thomas Shanks was born in Wexford, Ireland in 1880. A centre-forward, he joined Derby County in April 1898. Although he stayed for three seasons he only played in 27 games for the club. He then spent time at Brentford before joining Woolwich Arsenal in January 1903?

Shanks became a regular member of the first-team and in the 1903-04 season played alongside Roderick McEachrane, Jimmy Ashcroft, William Linward, Tommy Briercliffe, Tommy Shanks, Tim Coleman and Percy Sands in helping Woolwich Arsenal win promotion to the First Division. Shanks was the club's leading scorer with 25 league goals. This included hat-tricks against Leicester City, Lincoln City, Burnley and four in a game against Grimsby Town.

Shanks performance in the Woolwich Arsenal team resulted in his winning his first international cap for Ireland against Scotland.

In 1903 Shanks, who had scored 29 league and cup goals in 48 games for the club, was surprisingly transferred to Brentford. He also played for Leicester City, Leyton Orient and York City.

There is a picture of him on the internet which I have attached

He was my grandmother's cousin who lived in Bermondsey and Battersea.

Offline RajahNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
Yes this is the person I am looking for

Offline RajahNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 12 01:40 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to find out what happened to Tommy Shanks after he left his wife Florence in 1920s.
Florence is my great aunt
If you are able to help it would be much appreciated.

Offline RajahNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 01:26 GMT (UK) »
I am still looking for Thomas (Tommy) SHANKS born in Ireland 1880.  He left his wife (my great aunt) Florence (nee TURNER) in late 1920s.
The had the Victoria Pub in Brightlingsea.
I would appreciate any information on his life after the pub and when/where he died.

Offline Bex56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
In response to RejahNZ I have been researching Shanks Family History and have hit a brick wall with regard to Thomas Shanks, Arsenal footballer.  In the 1939 Register Florence was living with her son at The Heath, Tendring with her son, Thomas.   She gave her occupation as "Domestic duties unpaid". Thomas, son, was a Post Office Engineer.  There was no mention in the register of her husband, Thomas Shanks, but she lists her status as "married".  When Florence died in 1963 she was recorded as "Widow of Thomas Shanks, Licensed Victualler."   Arsenal websites have raised question what happened to Tommy Shanks, but no-one seems to have any information after he left Florence.   In response to "trevtherev" my great-grandfather, William John Shanks, was Thomas Shanks' uncle.  All the male members of the Shanks family were involved in the tanning industry as dressers or dyers. Tommy Shanks was the only one who  diverted from this occupation. 

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Derby Daily Telegraph 14th May 1929 had the following notice placed:

Notice - Will Tommy Shanks, the Irish International, who played for Derby, Brentford, Arsenal and Leicester, kindly write to 55, Spring Road, Brightlingsea Essex?

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
The following newspaper article is football related, maybe he went into football management :-\ Might be worth further research.

Kirkintilloch Herald 17th August 1932

An article written about Campsie United have a Tommy Shanks, Crosshill Street, Lennoxtown as secretary.

'Secretary Tommy Shanks is the busy boy at present,running all over the district getting the old clubmates' names on paper, and also a few new signatures.'

There is more on the article.

Offline Bex56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 September 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
The newspaper notice must have been placed by Florence who was living at Spring Road, Brightlingsea at that time.   She was searching the Derby area because Tommy's family lived in Derby. Thanks for the tip on the Kirkintilock Herald article.  I'll try and track this down.