Author Topic: MCQUADE MCQUILLAN  (Read 24584 times)

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: MCQUADE MCQUILLAN
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 March 05 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you kindly..
McQuade. Co Monaghan Ireland>Glasgow Scotland.
McGurk. Belfast Ireland>Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

This information is crown copy copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Fraser. Inverness Scotland>London.
Coulson. London.
Phil(l)ips. Glasgow Scotland.

Offline Thoreauvian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 September 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Ele-
I hope you are still listening after 5 years!
I just saw your posting.  I am descended from a brother of Mary McQuillan, named John McQuillan (1820-1883).  I went to Ireland to look into him in detail.  Based on his military records (Royal Engineers), I had the parish of birth, and based on local info I determined the township:
Derryleedigan, Clones Parish, Co. Monaghan, Ireland

Of course, this does not tell you where the McQuades came from, but it is a start.  And you told me about John's sister, Mary, who I had not known about before!
Thanks and good luck,
John
McQuillan, Macrae, Wood, Dill, Currie, van den Heuvel

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 September 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
What religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Thoreauvian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 September 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
Roman Catholic

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 September 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi John, thats fantastic. Thanks for that, every little bit helps and glad I was able to give you a sibling!

I posted that 5 years ago!!! Blimey, where has the time gone. I am no wiser on the family either, though must admit that I havent any time to search these days but hopefully next year when my youngest child goes to kindy!

Do you know anything on the McQuillans, Arthur and Margaret? I got their names from some poor law applications in Glasgow that Mary applied for.

Mary McQuade nee McQuillan died 26th Jan 1891 age 77, St Mungos Glasgow.(so makes her birth 1814)

Ta Ele
McQuade. Co Monaghan Ireland>Glasgow Scotland.
McGurk. Belfast Ireland>Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

This information is crown copy copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Fraser. Inverness Scotland>London.
Coulson. London.
Phil(l)ips. Glasgow Scotland.

Offline Thoreauvian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 September 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Ele-
it is wonderful to meet you electronically from the other side of the world!
Here is what I know abourt Arthur McQuillan and Margaret Carr:
children that I know about so far (presumably all born in the same township in Clones, Co. Monaghan):
Mary McQuillan (1814-1891, died in Blackfriars, Glasgow
John McQuillan (1820-1883), my gr-grandfather, died in Prestwich, Lancashire, joined Royal Engineers at age 22 in Glasgow, and was discharged there at age 43 in 1863.  3 sons went into military.  Surviving descendants living in UK and US.
James McQuillan (1831-1991), married and died in Calton, Glasgow. 3 sons also went into military. Surviving descendants living in Scotland.

As for Arthur McQuillan's background, the Irish records are sparse.  A search of the Griffith’s Valuation of 1860 shows 32 McQuillan heads of households in County Monaghan.   Narrowing the search using the Tithe Applotments of 1829 and looking only at the parish of Clones and the nearby one of Killeevan the only Arthur McQuillans were living in the townland of Derryleedigan (Jackson).   In 1829 Arthur senior rented 4 acres and Arthur junior rented 5 acres.  There was also a Kitty McQuillan, probably a widow, renting 9 acres, and a Kitty and Patrick renting 4 acres.  Going back further in time, in 1796 there was a Arthur McCullin of Clones, Monaghan listed as a flax grower, and a John McCullin in the same parish. It is not possible to say with certainty which Arthur was my 2nd great-grandfather, but it was certainly one of these two people.  I would speculate that Arthur senior was in his 50s, that Arthur junior was in his late 20s, and that he was the father of John, who was 9 years old in 1829.
There was a Patrick Kerr of Clones listed as flax grower in the 1796 report, who might have been Margaret’s father.  There were 47 Carr families listed in the Griffiths Valuation of 1860 in County Monaghan. Of these, 4 were in the parish of Clones: Robert in Carn; Patrick in Lislannan; Robert in Clontibret; and Bernard in Shankill. Clontibret is in the SE part of the parish, and lies quite close to Derryleedigan, so that is one possibility for the birthplace of Margaret Carr.
In 1860 a John McQuillan rented 15 acres in Derryleedigan, suggesting that some of the family members had left, and that the land holdings had been aggregated. By the 1901 census, there were no more McQuillans in this townland.
The basic reason for their departure from Ireland must have been the simple economics of subsistence farming on very small land holdings.

The problem was subdivision.  As explained in a Wikipedia article:
The Popery Act (Penal Law) of 1704 required land held (typically in tenancy) by Roman Catholics to be divided equally between all the sons, both legitimate and illegitimate, on his death. In Ireland, this practice, known as sub-division, continued by tradition until the middle of the nineteenth century. The result was that by the 1840s, many farms had become so small that the only food source that could be grown in sufficient quantity to feed a family was potatoes. This was to have disastrous effects when, in the period 1847-49 potato blight struck, making much of the potatoes grown inedible. This period came to be known as the Great Famine and cost the lives of a million people.

John McQuillan’s father rented only 4 or 5 acres of land, and was not able to pass on to his children an economically viable farm holding. John probably walked from Clones to the coast of Ireland, to one of the ports there that offered passage to Scotland.  At the present time, there are ferries from Larne to Troon and from Belfast to Stranraer.  He then made his way to Glasgow, where there may have been McQuillan relatives.  Several people with that surname appear in the 1841 census for the Glasgow area, especially in Gorbals, a predominantly working-class area on the south bank of the river Clyde in the city of Glasgow which was traditionally home to large numbers of Catholic immigrants from Ireland.

It appears that Mary did not leave Ireland for Glasgow until c. 1848, in the midst of the Famine.

Cheers,
John

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
  • James P. Flanigan 1905-1983 Craigneuk,Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 November 10 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Although I have very little to add to your search, I thought I would let you know that I also have a McQuillan in my family tree from Co. Monaghan.

Eleanor McQuillan born circa 1815 in Co. Monaghan

married a Charles Collins , they had 7 children, 1 of them being -

Bridget Collins b. 1856 in Crossnera, Keady, Armagh. Godparent of this Bridget Collins is a Hugh McQuillan.

They were Roman Catholic. If that helps.

Regards,
Megan
SCOTLAND-
Flanigan,McGrory,ONeill,Farrell
Craigneuk,Motherwell and Glasgow

ENGLAND-
Flanigan,Corrigan - Bedfordshire

IRELAND-
Flanigan,McAdams,Donnelly,Daley -Co. Monaghan
Flanigan,Doherty,McGrory,Collins,McQuelin-Co. Armagh
Farrell,McPoland,Devlin,Cull,McMahon-Co. Down
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly
McGrath,Creagh,Craugh,OKeeffe,Brouthers,Frye-Co. Laois and Co. Kilkenny
Kelly,McInnerney,Marrinan,Falsey,Blackhall-Co. Clare

Mystery**
Johnston - immigrated to Michigan,USA from ?

Offline Thoreauvian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 November 10 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Megan-
How nice to hear from you, and to learn one more piece of the puzzle!

What is your source of information on Eleanor?  Did she marry Charles and have children in Ireland, or somewhere else?
I would also like to know the names of their children to see if they used any of the names common to my McQuillan line, which include:  Mary, Margaret, Arthur, James, John, Patrick.

The family of Arthur McQuillan and Margaret Carr that I have definite confirmation on:
Mary (1813-1891
John (1820-1883)
James (1831-1888).

It is possible Eleanor was a sibling.  If not, it seems quite likely that she was a cousin.
Thank you,
John

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
  • James P. Flanigan 1905-1983 Craigneuk,Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 November 10 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

My source of Bridget Collins parentage is from a cousin in Ireland who contacted the parish priest where Bridget Collins got married and it listed her parents and when she was baptized.  The information that he gave me is -

Charles Collins of Armagh  md. Eleanor McQuillan of Monaghan

children -

Mary Ann Collins-  b. 8 Jan 1850 in Lower Killeavy, Armagh

Margaret Collins - b. 23 Sep 1852

Charles Collins - b. 1853 no month or day for him

Sarah Collins - b. 1854

Thomas Collins - no dates at all

Elizabeth Collins - b. 21 Jan 1855 she married a man named Finnegan

Bridget Collins - b 1856  in Crossnera, Armagh  and she married James McGrory on 17 Jul 1875 in Keady, Armagh.

The name Hugh McQuillan shows up on the baptismal record for one of the above Collins children. I am thinking that the Hugh McQuillan was probably a brother to Eleanor.

I am sorry but that is all of the information that I have on this line so far.

I do have one certificate of birth from a pay per view site of the birth of Mary Ann Collins that lists her parents as -
Charles Collins and Ellen McQuillan

sponsors were - John OHare and Mary Collins.

I hope this helps and doesn't add to your confusion.

Megan
SCOTLAND-
Flanigan,McGrory,ONeill,Farrell
Craigneuk,Motherwell and Glasgow

ENGLAND-
Flanigan,Corrigan - Bedfordshire

IRELAND-
Flanigan,McAdams,Donnelly,Daley -Co. Monaghan
Flanigan,Doherty,McGrory,Collins,McQuelin-Co. Armagh
Farrell,McPoland,Devlin,Cull,McMahon-Co. Down
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly
McGrath,Creagh,Craugh,OKeeffe,Brouthers,Frye-Co. Laois and Co. Kilkenny
Kelly,McInnerney,Marrinan,Falsey,Blackhall-Co. Clare

Mystery**
Johnston - immigrated to Michigan,USA from ?