Author Topic: Petty Parish Church  (Read 58266 times)

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Petty Parish Church
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 March 06 20:24 BST (UK) »
I believe the Morayshire Heiritage Centre, in Elgin, holds all the prominent records for Petty - the OPRs, Census, MIs, etc. They can be contacted at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp - this site may even be able to help you further and provides references to various newspaper articles, MIs, and other interesting events on individuals. They have just moved premises so may take some time to get back to you. You can e-mail them direct, but do have a small staff and make great efforts to get back to you.

Happy Hunting

Bill
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline Tantan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 March 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
    Many thanks for the info re Morayshire Heritage centre, I'll try them. Much appreciate your interest.
Regards
David

Offline helentucker

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 00:44 BST (UK) »
David,

Hi and sorry for the delay.
I have the book of MI's from Petty old church and there are several McKenzies listed.
The names you mentioned were David and Donald i think, if so here are the listings under those names: -
David (and his wife Isobel McIntosh) - stone dated 1752
Donald (father of Kenneth) - d. 2/4/1741
Donald - d. 24/4/1831 aged 80
Donald - d. 11/11/1766 aged 80
(with this one, amongst others is Margaret Campbell - d. 13/2/1810)
also, this may be of use
John (erected by his son Donald) - d. 26/6/1846 aged 68
there was also a Dr. John McK who erected a stone for 3 of his children, early 1800's.

If even one of those is a hit then that'd be fab.
Regards,
Helen

McRae - Petty/Ardersier
McRae - Moray
McDonald - Cromdale
McDonald - Petty
McArthur - Ardersier
MacKenzie - Skye
Cumming - Dallas,Moray
MacIntosh - Laggan

Offline Tantan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 01:04 BST (UK) »
Helen
   You're a star for taking the time to check this out for me. Unfortunately I can't make any links at the moment, although it's 01.00 and I'm up with indigestion so I might make more sense later. Will get back to you after a bit more delving.
Many thanks again.
David

Offline Tantan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen
   I'm back again having had another look back through my records. What I know for certain is that my Gr Gr Grandparents were David McKenzie and Janet Clunes who were married in 1807 at Cawdor and the last trace I have of them is living in Petty at the birth of their last daughter Margaret. I haven't found any record of their death yet.
  I suspect that the parents of David McK were Donald McK and Christian Fraser who were married in Petty on 18/11/1775 which is where their 5 children were born between 1779 and 1790, David being born 1780. It's highly probable that the ones you have found are related but I don't have anything yet to make a link. I suppose I need to try the OPR's?
 Many thanks for your help and interest, I notice that you have a Mackenzie line also but with the other spelling.
Best Regards
David

Offline HeathersLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen

My hubby has ancestors in Petty so I would also be interested in the MI's.

Heather

Offline helentucker

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
David,
You're welcome to any info i can pass on from this booklet.
I tried looking for the names you mentioned but cant find any.  However there are more McKenzies listed so if you discover anything else or i can help any other way please holler.

Heather,
Hi, and ditto regarding any help i can be with the MI's, or general info on Petty.
PM me if you prefer, with names etc, and we'll see if the booklet helps.

Helen
McRae - Petty/Ardersier
McRae - Moray
McDonald - Cromdale
McDonald - Petty
McArthur - Ardersier
MacKenzie - Skye
Cumming - Dallas,Moray
MacIntosh - Laggan

Offline Tantan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen
   Thanks for the message. Regarding the McKenzies I can't think of anything else to check, but are there any Wilson names in there because Donald McKenzie married Margaret Wilson and I'm having as much trouble with that name as I am McKenzie. This is for a similar period i.e 1830 back to say 1750.
Many thanks
David

Offline HeathersLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 April 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen

Many Thanks for offering a lookup for me.  I have Donald Johnston/Isobell Ralph,  John Johnston/Ann Smith and Alexander Lawson/Janet McIntosh.

Heather

p.s I see you have names in Moray if you need any lookup's please let me know as I live in Moray and go to the Heritage Centre every week.