Author Topic: Petty Parish Church  (Read 58544 times)

Offline helenmc404.

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Petty Parish Church
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 23 May 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Grandfather angus mc lean born 1871 petty son of donald mc lean froM croy who married ann mccrae petty daughter of janet and john mccrae think angus had brother colin 1873 sister marjory 1861 sister jessie 1863 but not able to find out other siblings can anyone help x

Offline HLRobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 24 March 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking to trace any further information on the family of Janet McIntosh (nee Tolmie).  She is the daughter of Andrew Tolmie (don't have mothers info).  She was born in Petty 4 June 1795 and married William McIntosh on 21 Feb 1818.  The only child I have is my relative Margaret McIntosh who was worn abt 1824 and died 30 Nov 1863.  She married John Smith.

Would anyone be linked or have any further information they could share?

Many Thanks

H

Offline Smudge3311

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 26 June 17 22:27 BST (UK) »

Hello Tantan

The Petty Church is a very pretty, stone built church situated right alongside the A96, mid-way between Inverness, and Nairn.  Its not actually on the coast itself, but is near Castle Stewart  (an hotel) and privately owned Dalcross Castle.

During the past few years, Dame Helen Mirren and her American movie director husband were married at the Petty Church.

There is a graveyard attached to the Church.

Kilvarock Castle (Rose Clan) and Cawdor Castle (Campbell Clan) are nearby to.

Danchaslyn

Helen Mirren did not marry at Petty Church, she married at Ardersier Church, I attended the wedding, the church referred to as Petty Church in the context of this thread is not the church on the A96 at Tornagrain, that is a relatively modern church and Cemetery, the Church for Petty and the MacIntoshes is actually Behind Castle Stuart, many people do not know it is there, it stopped being used in the 50's. As well as the church there is the Family vault of the MacIntosh family, the roof of the vault recently collapsed and is under cover now with scaffold support, the cemetery has many old graves, I was born at Ardersier and my family are from Petty/Ardersier/Cory/Cawdor/Ardclach, and includes MacIntoshes, MacPhersons & Davidsons

Regards

Garry

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 06 July 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking to trace any further information on the family of Janet McIntosh (nee Tolmie).  She is the daughter of Andrew Tolmie (don't have mothers info).  She was born in Petty 4 June 1795 and married William McIntosh on 21 Feb 1818.  The only child I have is my relative Margaret McIntosh who was worn abt 1824 and died 30 Nov 1863.  She married John Smith.

Would anyone be linked or have any further information they could share?

Many Thanks

H

There is an Inscription at Petty Old Churchyard as follows;  Erected by William Tolmie, father Andrew Tolmie, died Ballachaldrach 1824 aged 63 years.  Mother Jean McKenzie died 2nd July 1811 aged 43 years.

Not sure if that is of interest to you or not  :)
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 31 July 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello H L Robertson

Long time since you posted, and this reference is a bit of a long shot and may not be relevant to you; but I noticed a reference to the name 'Tolmie' in relation to Petty and Ardersier in a report on a ploughing match(!) in the Inverness Courier, Thursday 2nd March 1820 edition.  This refers to what appears to be an annual ploughing match amongst members of The Practical Farming Society of Petty and Ardersier.  The newspaper reports: "When the work was finished, and the field cleared, the judges proceeded to the ground, and after a minute inspection, awarded the prizes as follows:- The first to Lewis Holm, servant to Messrs Tulloh and Tolmie......." 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, in case it is of interest.

CELTIC ANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Looking for a possible burial at the Petty Parish Church for my 2nd great grandparents

Donald Clark
BIRTH ABOUT 1785 Inverness-shire, Scotland
DEATH 15 SEP 1853  Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland

He was schoolmaster in Petty for about 53 years.  I recently found a baptism that may fit with birth 12 Nov 1783 and parents John Clark and Margaret McKenzie but that is unconfirmed.  Simply right approximate date and right location.

Jean Campbell
BIRTH 24 JAN 1787  Petty, Inverness-shire, Scotland (possibly at Castle Stuart)
DEATH 19 OCT 1869  London, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada

I know the family left the schoolhouse after Donald's passing in 1853 and some of family came to Canada.

Given that Donald was in the area his whole life and was the schoolmaster, I would think he would be buried locally.  The news report of a son William Clark 1807-1874, who passed in London, Ontario, reported that his father, grandfather and great grandfather were elders in the Presbyterian Church
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hector99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 07 September 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
It may be useful for someone.  One of my ancestors was Rev John Morrison of Petty.  He lived from 1701 to 1773.

Offline AnCreag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 31 July 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I'm interested in finding out more about your ancestor Ann Davidson from Petty who married Donald Smith. I have her dying in Rockfield, Tarbat in 1864 age 60. Her death certificate lists father as Alex Davidson, mother unknown but I can't find any further links.

There is an Ann Davidson born to Wm Davidson and Janet Anderson in Petty 1804 which would tie in with the dates I have. Can you shed any light on it?
Thanks
Donald

Hi Dav,

I just noticed your last posting and many of my ancestors are from the Fisherton Petty area (surnames Cameron, Tolmie, Patience, McIntosh).   The Janet Cameron in your post caught my eye.  I also have a Janet Cameron, b1767 in Petty with parents David Cameron and Ann McKenzie.  Does this match your Janet?

I also have many Davidson's in my tree, but only one seems to have been born in Petty, Ann Davidson who married Donald Smith in Petty in 1827. All of my other Davidsons are from Croy (the parish next to Petty) and Moy, also very close to Petty.

Neil