Author Topic: Inuits from Newfoundland to Grimsby  (Read 5844 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Inuits from Newfoundland to Grimsby
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 March 06 14:49 GMT (UK) »
In one of the articles I found it talks about a hospital vessel named "Albert" that sailed from Great Yarmouth to Labrador.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 March 06 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to thank you Sarah and your friend for starting this thread.  There is alot of history we are unaware of until someone asks a question.  I have been googling for stuff on Wilfred Grenfell, unaware of his work until today, but what I found interesting is that the past couple of weeks, Paul McCartney and his wife have been campaigning again the seal hunt in Canada and even went on Larry King to protest.   Apparently, it was Wilfred Grenfell who used the seal pup to teach the "lamb of god" to the Inuit people, since the seal pup is a sacred animal to them and that way they would understand. 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 March 06 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

I have found a death reg. for Matilda Davey - Cleethorpes 3b/154, June q. 1962. This gives her age as 72.

If this is the right one, it means she would have been born c 1891 and would not have come to England until c1906 - missing the 1901 census.

One of the sites on which I read about Wilfred Grenfell states that his personal papers are held at Yale University. A last resort?

Cheers,

Ros

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 March 06 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Better news. I've found what should be her marriage reg:

Matilda Clarke and Alec Davey, Mar q 1914, Grimsby 7a/1033.

The certificate may give some some more clues   :D

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 March 06 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting indeed,but with my mind asking why they were abandoned,why the reverence for the Seal pup.and why take them away from thier own people etc;Idont think sleep will come easy tonight!!
                   Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline sarah e

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Great granddad Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 March 06 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Wow what a response already. That is her death for sure, she died the same year my friends youngest brother was born and that is also her marriage as well. Thankyou to Piedstilt for them both. Have googled some more and found the Royal deep sea fishermans society who were the people that first sent Grenfell out there. I spoke to the secretary yesterday and he believes that they have no records of ships or anything as apparently The Wilfred Grenfell Historical Socity in Canada have all of them. So I then emailed Grenfell Historical properties with the story and they have forwarded the story onto their archivist who will get back to me as soon as she finds something. So heres hoping. Having now sat for most of the day trawlling websites about this guy he sounds absoluteley amazing. My friend says that her Dad (Matildas youngest son- who is still alive and kicking at 80) once mentioned reading a book about Grenfell in which the children were mentioned so I am wondering perhaps if it is the Gutenburg book. Anyways I am off to do a little more digging. As soon as I here anything from Canada I will let you all know. Thanks again for the help.
                                       Sarah.
Glendenning
Laycock
Wilson
Garnett
(Halifax, Shelf, Hunslet, Bradford, Manningham, Leeds)

Offline Hilaryanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 March 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
I found it strange that there is not a single person in the 1901 census born in Newfoundland! Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Hilary
PS
None in 1891 either although plenty in the 1881.
Newfoundland didnt join Canada until 1949 so they shouldnt have been listed as born in Canada

Alright I found the answer, put Newfoundland in the town section, not country.
Kelly, McEvoy, Daley Ontario Canada
Dupuis, Fuller, Quebec, New York
Baines, SHepherd, Gamble Dyson, Lancshire, Cheshire, Norfolk
Byrne, Gleeson,Galbraith, Cheshire, Ireland

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Have been wondering - did you make any progress on this?

Any news from Canada?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Winnie61

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
I couldn't believe when I found you on this forum whilst trying to trace my Great Grandmother Matilda who was rescued by the Seaman's Mission. All I know is that she was Inuit and had a brother. What other info do you have of her.