Author Topic: Stebbing Mill, Mill Lane  (Read 24325 times)

Offline oldjakey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stebbing Mill, Mill Lane
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 December 11 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes i am one of the Hynds family, you have obviusly been doing your research! Thanks for the offer on the magazine articles, i have a few myself but may not have seen the ones you have.

Offline fedelmar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 December 11 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Any chance  can get a copy of those too?

My old g/father PLAYLE brought the original stones ... this is all so exciting ...

Do you by any chance have a photograph of the mill today?

Bright Blessings
Sandra
Essex: PLAYLE, WHITEHEAD, PAWSEY, FARRAR, HYMUS
Cornwall: POND, DUNGEY, WILLIAMS
Kent: AUSTIN, ROSER, WILSON
Sussex: ROSER, WILSON

Offline Bensop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm Chairman of the Stebbing Local History Society and I have plenty of information about milling and millers in Stebbing.

As you note, there were a number of Mills in Stebbing parish at various times (3 different water mills and windmills on 5 different sites). Your posts relate to three of them.

John Bambridge was at a post mill called Barracks which was between Bran End and Duck End (both in the parish). He sold it in 1811 for £425 to John Cornell.

The Hynds, Ruffles etc were at the Town Mill in Mill Lane - the most important mill in the parish by far. I knew the last miller Len Hynds.

The Playles to the best of my knowledge had no connection at all with Town Mill so I dont see how a Playle would have purchased the stones for that mill. The Playle's were at Bran End Mill - John was certainly there in 1614. Another John Playle appears to still be the owner in 1814 (6 years before his death) although the miller in 1790 was a Robert Rolfe so presumably it was by then leased or could Robert have been a relative. Either way The Playles had a stormy time during their ownership with financial problems - court appearances and losing a part of the capital of one of the village charities.

Hope this helps. If any of you have old photographs of Stebbing that arent in the society's archive then I would love a scan.

Offline Glenpenny

• RootsChat Senior
  • G.g.g.grandad Catlow 1811-1894
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bensop, welcome to Rootschat.

I have two John Bambridges in my tree of an age at which they might have owned the Barracks Mill.  One born in 1874 and the other in 1747.  Any chance you could help me identify which of these it might be?

My 4x g.grandfather was a Daniel Bambridge (born 1782) and he is the one described as a miller on the baptismal record of his daughter, Eliza, in 1813.  He was brother to the John born in 1774 and nephew to the other one.  Perhaps he worked at the Barracks Mill and not at the Town Mill at all.  I assumed that was where he worked as he was living down Mill Lane in 1841.

I also have several Rolphes in my tree in the 1700s but no Robert that I've found so far.

I'm sorry I don't have any photos of old Stebbing.
Clifton - Kirkham, Garstang, Lancs
Benson - Greenhalgh, Lancs
Hankinson - Freckleton, Lancs
Roobottom - Barnsley, W.Yorks
Drelincourt - Ireland
McLintock - Barnsley, w.Yorks
Catlow - Colne, Newchurch-in-Pendle, Lancs
Bowker - Newchurch-in-Pendle, Lancs
Bambridge - Stebbing, Essex
Lagden - Thaxted, Stebbing, Essex
Perry - Stebbing, Essex
Wileber - Farcet, Huntingdon
Census Information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bensop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
First things first - with regards the Playles I forgot to say that as well as Bran End water mill they were involved in a windmill at Bran End as when John Playle inherited his father's property in 1757 it included a parcel of land called Stones on which a windmill had formerly stood and had recently been pulled down. I cant be absolutely sure but the likely site is at the Bran End crossroads near the old cottage currently called Stones Cottage.

As for you last enquiry Glenpenny I dont think I can currently help about which John Bambridge owned Barracks - I will keep an eye out though. The information about the 1811 sale I think comes from an advert in the Chelmsford Chronicle (21st September 1811) and other sources which I currently lay my hands on. It is of course very possible that your Daniel Bambridge was working at Town Mill or even at another mill at the date you say although I cant confirm that - he certainly wasnt the owner of Town Mill though as it was owned by the Earl of Essex until 1901. I've had a look in the 1839 Tithe award for Stebbing at it records a Daniel Bambridge in Duck End - he was both owner and occupier but originally it would seem that the owner was a Thomas Bambridge - does that make any sense - could Thomas by Daniel's father for instance? In the 1841 census there are two Daniel Bambridge's, one in Mill Lane as you suggest who was a Shoemaker (aged about 30) and another at Duck End who was a Grocer (aged about 55).

Offline Glenpenny

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information Bensop.

Daniel Bambridge, shoemaker, was my 3x g.grandfather and the other Daniel (the miller) was his father.  Thomas Bambridge was my 5x g.grandfather and the miller's father.

I wasn't aware of the 1839 Tithe award although I did find a mention of a Daniel Bambridge who voted in the 1847 election.  This would have been the miller (later a grocer) as his son died in 1841.
Drelincourt - Ireland
Perry - Stebbing, Essex
Census Information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bensop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Daniel / Thomas Bambridge owned and occupied plot 584 at Duck End on the Tithe Award of 1839. I have hopefully attached the appropriate bit of the map to this post. The cottage still exists and is called Forge Cottage. There are still Bambridge's in Stebbing which I presume you are aware of.

Offline fedelmar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Bensop ... thank you for the correction ... you are right it wasn't Bran End (I assumed that this was the one)... the hotel/inn across the road was the 'Green Man' (?) which was owned by william Whitehead.  His daughter Sarah married my great great grandfather John Playle and they later moved to Harlow.

I definitely have something about the Playle's buying two French stones for the mill.  Will have to hunt it out.

Quite a few years ago I paid a membership to the Stebbing Historical Society understanding that I would receive the newsletter and other information on my Playle line but it never happened so I didn't get to learn much about them before their move to Harlow nor the Whitehead line.

Bright Blessings
Sandra Playle
Essex: PLAYLE, WHITEHEAD, PAWSEY, FARRAR, HYMUS
Cornwall: POND, DUNGEY, WILLIAMS
Kent: AUSTIN, ROSER, WILSON
Sussex: ROSER, WILSON

Offline Glenpenny

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 December 11 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the tithe map extract Bensop.  I've been trying to locate Forge Cottage on Google Earth without much luck.  Are you able to help me pinpoint this please?  I was aware that there were still Bambridges in the village but have never been in touch with them. 
Drelincourt - Ireland
Perry - Stebbing, Essex