Author Topic: Bensons in Ontario 1911  (Read 5394 times)

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Bensons in Ontario 1911
« on: Sunday 12 March 06 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Am searching for some Benson cousins who I know were living in Chedoke, Hamilton, Ontario in 1913.

They were Vevey, Grace and Mary Benson. Vevey was born in New South Wales, Australia in 1893. Not sure whether mother, Sarah, was still alive.
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Bensons in Ontario 1911
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 06 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Saar,

Found your Benson's in 1911

Vebey Benson b 1867 England - immigration year 1905
Clive M Benson b 1891 Australia - imm. year 1907
Vevey M Benson b 1893 Aus. - imm. year 1910
Graace Benson b1895 Aus. - imm year 1910
Mary Benson b1896 Aus. - imm year 1905

Living in the Township of Barton, County of Wentworth

Looks like Vebey is a widow
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 06 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Karen

Many thanks for that. It's definately the right family and I thought father, Robert, had died. But I was so sure his wife was Sarah!

Cheers
Mary
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 06 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I'm confused.  The head of household, Vebey Benson b 1867 is a man, so who is Robert?

Do you know if your Benson's stayed in the Hamilton area?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 March 06 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Here's the census with the image page attached...Name does certainly not
look like Robert. Vebey is ahat I'd have said also...Unusual the 3 different dates
 of immigration...did the others come with other family members, perhaps?
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test16.jsp?id=30765

But then the 10 year old appears to be down as a book keeper...and erasings all over the place...so this census taker was having a very hard day! ;D  J.J.

OOps forgot we were looking at the 1911, he was 20! My bad day! Haha
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 06 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I've been chasing this family for a long time - I had their names from a probate document which gave a long list of names of relatives of a lady who had died in New York.

From the context they had to be the children on one of 2 brothers who had gone missing from the UK after the 1881 census. The brothers were Robert and Abraham Benson.

Recently I found some information about daughter Vevey  in a family tree that had been posted on the web by another researcher. And that led me to Vevey's birth registration in New South Wales. Her parents' names were given as Robert and Sarah. No sign of a birth registration for the other 3 children.

From the context of the original document the father must have died by 1913, otherwise he and not the children would have been named. So I assumed Vebey was their mother - especially as Vevey had turned out to be a girl!

So back to the drawing board. Or possibly back to Australia to try and find the births of the other children.

Thanks again.

Mary

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 06 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Actually looking closely at the original I think M may have been crossed out and replaced by F. Also the date of birth is wrong for Robert - he was born in 1859.

S think Vebey must have been the mother - perhaps a nickname?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 March 06 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you may be right about that...and I am also wondering if it isn't the same name as the daughter's Vevey, as it could just be a high stroke on a "v" that
looks like a"b"...I see the male and female box mixed up a lot...so it's not unusual.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 March 06 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Unless Robert married twice his wife was Sarah Makeham Stutchings - wonder how that could have turned into Vevey / Vebey?

Another possibility is that the ennumerator got it wrong - perhaps got the mother and daughter mixed up.

I've never encountered the name Vevey before - it certinly isn't a Benson family name. But without that unusual first name I would never have tracked down the family.

I really appreciate all the help.

Mary