Author Topic: McClenaghan's of Port Glasgow  (Read 8890 times)

Offline cazz033

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McClenaghan's of Port Glasgow
« on: Tuesday 27 January 04 11:04 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hi Ya

My name is Caroline and at present I am trying to trace some of the Family History. . . . I am searching for any information on the above name. From my dads side of the family

His name is David McClenaghan and he was born in Port Glasgow on 30-07-1949. His fathers name was Bernard who married Theresa (nee Carlin) He had 5 sisters Agnes, Catherine, Bernadette, Theresa and Margaret and 1 brother Anthony.

Sorry I have no dates but any info would be greatly appreciated to get me started.
McClenaghan of port glasgow

Offline Gordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:McClenaghan's of Port Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 04 16:54 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather was born in Port Glasgow circa 1890
His name was Charles McClenaghan, he lived in Rope Works Lane. He had Irish parents, a Charles and Bridget McClenaghan. He died in Glasgow on 24/12/52 in Glasgow. He had 2 brothers, "David" and John.
2 sisters, Mary and Margaret. He married a Mary Ann Burns in Glasgow, circa 1913. That all I have.   Any connection???    Gordon

Offline Bunty

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 04 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I also have this name in the family Patrick McClennachan
and Jane Mellon married in 1874 Neilston daughter Rose Ann McClennachan married Charles McCann in 1907 Barrhead.
Patrick's last names in census records spelled many way's
Clennachan,McClanachan,Clanagan? ??? .
Patrick was born in Ireland his parent's were Patrick McClennachan and Jane Mahaffie.  Bunty

Offline Gordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 04 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Bunty, cant tie up in anyway at all. Not an easy name at all. My GGrandparents were Irish, I am guessing here,  from Donegal.  It seems to stick in my mind that I heard that as a child.
I contacted the McClannanhan Society, I believe that to be the basic name, from where the rest were derived.
They explained that Irish records were sparse, and to cap it all,  the Irish Records Office had a fire about 10 years ago, and a big percentage of records were destroyed.  They gave little hope. What I have is all from memory, as a child asking questions....Gordie

Offline cazz033

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McClenaghan's of Port Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 05 15:19 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Hiya Gordie, rope works Lane sounds familiar to me as if I am right that is where my dad lived. I wil try and find out a  little more from him and let you know, Cheers caroline

Offline Gordie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 05 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, there is a lot of coincidence in this.
We have a connection thru the name David,
Now I know my David was a lot earlier, but it might just be that yours is a Grandson.
Then there is this link to Ropework Lane.
I am a bit confused though, which happens often.
But I thought at first that it was Rope Lane,
Greenock, but I am now sure it was Port Glasgow. I knew my Grand father, but none of his relatives. I think he was sent to coventry for marrying a Protestant. That was taboo in these days...Gordon

Offline Andy Keogh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
Most, if not all, of the Port Glasgow/Greenock McClenaghans stem from David and Catherine Gatens, who were both dead before sons John and David married in their early 20's in 1902 and 1904. James, another son was born 1874 in Port Glasgow. And Bernard in 1886 (he died in the war in1915).

David, the father was a sailor, and had married for a second time in 1888 to Margaret McLeady. The first marriage to Catherine Gatens was in Liverpool in 1873. They were living at Ropeworks Lane by 1881:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

David's sister, Catherine married in Port Glasgow in 1872, sister-in-law to be, Catherine Gatens was a witness. Catherine Gatens died in 1886.

David (the father's) parents were Bernard and Mary Gillen (almost certainly of Down or Derry)

Mary Gillen died a 50 year old widow in Port Glasgow in 1872. Her parents were James and Margaret McDermott. It is most likely that there will be a death record for the husband in Ireland.

Mary, Catherine and Catherine's dauthter, Mary (wrong side of the sheets) had arrived in Port Glasgow by 1871 and were among families who remained friends for generations.

Indeed, a relly of mine, Agnes McQuilkin,  was witness at son David's marriage to Bridget McGinley in 1904. Later David's daughter, Dorothea, married James McQuilkin of a related family.

Offline cazz033

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 06 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, I have not logged on here in a long time so am having to start again from scratch.

Andy thats another coincidence from here as there are a lot of the following name in my Family, David, Catherine, Margaret.
I know now after finding some info on another site that it was def Ropeworks Lane that my dad etc lived in when he was young. In the one house was a Margaret, david, John, Kate and Mary. I will try and get the other info from other searches placed on here as soon as. Just also found on a death document that there was a David McClenaghan that died on 26/08/1907 from some form of Meningitis and lived at number 30 ropework Lane. He was only 1 year and 11 months old

Gordon, I am going to start looking into the info you gave me and let you know the outcome, As above with the death of a David in 1907 i noticed his parents where a david and Bridget McClenaghan, however her Maiden name was McGinley??

Offline Ramsay Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Im from Port Glasgow I had an Great Auty " Bridget McGinlay" she lived in "3 Wood Lane Port Glasgow" she was Born: in Govan Bridget Stewart McGinley May 24th 1887
McGinley
Stewart
McCullagh
McGowan
Laverty
McLean