Author Topic: Mine in Altofts, Yorkshire  (Read 28002 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mine in Altofts, Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 22:03 BST (UK) »
Still looking for any Stokes and Roberts there - see my message above about a year ago.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Scottie8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 May 07 09:59 BST (UK) »
hi scottie
have a look at tis theres a john scott buried on 29/7/1947 hope its yours for you
http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/CemeteriesAndCrematoria/GenealogySearches/OnlineSearch/default.htm?surname=scott&forename=john&year=&noResults=20&startRow=1&exMatch=0

Fantastic!

Thanks very much I visited the grave yesterday. My father will now be able to 'see' him for the first time, as he never ever met him due to the war.

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 May 07 12:09 BST (UK) »
im glad it was the right one for you scottie.
gadget have you looked through them on that site there are quite a few of the names your looking for
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 May 07 20:17 BST (UK) »
Not yet, PT. I seem to leave my own queries till last  ??? ??? ???

I'll go look shortly. There were masses of my relatives there.

Thanks

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 September 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
I have a relative (William Jesse Gregory) who was a horse driver at a colliery in 1881 (census report). He moved to Calverley Green from Tewkesbury where he was married in 1880. He was back in Tewkesbury in 1887 after living in Derbyshire for a while (he was in Derbyshire in 1884). However, I like to find as much detail as I can about my ancestors. Please could anyone with local knowledge suggest at which of the collieries he worked? He was a waterman by trade and obviously used his knowledge of horses pulling barges on the Rivers Avon and Severn to obtain the job in Altofts (why he moved so far away is a mystery), I have no idea of his occupation in Ilkeston, but on his return to Tewkesbury he was back on the rivers.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Tofgem

Offline WelshYorkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi tofgem
I worked at St Johns Colliery in the 1960s. (Locally known as Newland)  The pit was sunk on the land of Newland Estate and opened in 1870 just outside the boundary of Altofts. There is a footpath from Altofts to Newland estate and St Johns Colliery which runs parallel to houses built on Calvary Green Road.  (Have a look on Google maps.) The mine is no longer there  but it was in the area of the landfill site
  Horses were used on the pit top as well as underground so William could have worked at the mine. The canal and the river Calder is within walking distance and some of the coal was transported on a track from the mine to barges on the canal. Perhaps this was where he worked
 Have a look at the link http://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Newland-Estate.html
Coal from the mine was transported down a track to Stanley ferry.
Hope this helps

Offline lablover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 January 15 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi tofgem
I worked at St Johns Colliery in the 1960s. (Locally known as Newland)  The pit was sunk on the land of Newland Estate and opened in 1870 just outside the boundary of Altofts. There is a footpath from Altofts to Newland estate and St Johns Colliery which runs parallel to houses built on Calvary Green Road.  (Have a look on Google maps.) The mine is no longer there  but it was in the area of the landfill site
  Horses were used on the pit top as well as underground so William could have worked at the mine. The canal and the river Calder is within walking distance and some of the coal was transported on a track from the mine to barges on the canal. Perhaps this was where he worked
 Have a look at the link http://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Newland-Estate.html
Coal from the mine was transported down a track to Stanley ferry.
Hope this helps

Offline lablover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 January 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Oh, please forgive me, those of you who have been accessing and posting on this site for a number of years. I seem to type out my message and then, getting my fingers in a twist, lose everything from the screen. It might be that, by some quirk of fate, my messages have got through - I doubt it, though. So here goes, for the third time!

Dennwood - and I'm only saying that because, to all intents and purposes, you have been active or posting at the most recent date. Please accept my apologies if you are unable to help.

Someone on the site was asking about a marriage of Henry Deakin and Sarah Hudson - my great great grandfather and grandmother. I have a copy of their marriage certificate in my possession.

Henry was one of the deputies killed on 2nd October 1886 at the Pope and Pearson Colliery (Silkstone Seam) in Altofts, West Yorkshire. My grandfather, Alfred, was one of the son's of Henry
and Sarah, and my late mother, Lily, along with Clarence, George and Mary (all deceased) were
Alfred's children with Hannah Maria Brain whom he married on 25th December 1899 in St Mary Magdalene Church, Church Road, Altofts.

Henry and Sarah Hudson were married on 18th October 1857 at The Parish Church, in the Parish of
Eyton (could be Eyton on the Weald Moor) in the County of Salop (and old name for Shropshire).
Both were unmarried at the time and living in Trench (don't know where that is). Meshech Deakin was Henry's father, a collier, and Jeremiah Hudson was the father of Sarah, also a collier.
The curate was R G Mead, and witnesses were John Newman and Ann Owen. Henry signed and
Sarah added her mark.

I have some other information about the tragedy from another relative, Clare, whose grandmother was Elizabeth Bednall (nee Deakin) and my grandfather's sister.

Also of interest, might be something relative to the Hudson family. There was a murderer called John George Haigh who, according to my late mother, lived in Pope Street (yes, the Pope Street named after the owners of Pope and Pearson Colliery, and there is a Pearson Street in the village)
in Altofts. Sarah Deakin, nee Hudson was, I believe, a relative of Haigh as his mother was a Hudson prior to her marriage to Haigh.

Haigh was convicted of the murder of Olivia Durand-Deacon, although he did confess later to having murdered another 8!! He had been very bright as a boy, attending Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Wakefield, a chorister at the Cathedral there and an organ scholar.
I have some other information and press cuttings about him, too.

I also have information about Teddy Deakin (stage name of Horace Bednall). He appeared with Margaret Lockwood and Billy Dainty, to name but two well-known celebrities, and he was also a
dancer, pianist, musical director and Pantomime Dame!!

If you are able, by whatever means, to forward on some of this information, that would be very
kind. I also give permission for you to divulge my email details so that any interested parties
can make contact.

I live in the village of Altofts, with Michael, my 67 year old husband (I'm 73 next month) and our two Yellow Labrador dogs, Poppy and Magnus. The colliery site was just down the road - perhaps about half a mile or a little more. I am happy to try to answer queries or do some investigations on behalf of interested parties, should they so wish.

I'm hoping that, this time, I don't get my fingers in a knot and that this email will be read.