Author Topic: Mine in Altofts, Yorkshire  (Read 28019 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mine in Altofts, Yorkshire
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lablover,

Some fascinating history there, especially the bit about John Haigh - reading about him makes me wonder how much his crimes may have been rebellious of his strict upbringing; that apart he wasn't a very pleasant person.

Coincidence ? I have Daikin/Daykin (could it be Deacon?)in my family line, however mine originate from Derbyshire and I believe before that (though I don't have proof) from Shropshire - I have just re-read your post and notice that your Deacon's have a Shropshire link, However none of your names seem to sound alarm bells for me.

Denn

Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline lablover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dennford ... and I think I owe you an apology; I think I put Dennwood, and if I did, I'm so sorry and hope you will forgive, please.

Well, my Deakin lot originated in Shropshire, Much Wenlock etc. and when researching I do find
that variants of the name, as you suggest, crop up. It happened a lot because of the way some people spoke, or what the enumerator, at the time, wrote down from what he/she heard. They were supposed to be 'educated' people, these enumerators, but as I have done some work for the FreeBMD in the UK, I have, on occasions, had to question that being so.

Here, in Yorkshire, Deakin can, if pronounced badly, sound very much like Daykin. I used to work, in Leeds, as a young gel (oooh too many moons ago now, when I was probably 18 or so) and one of the bosses was a Mr Daykin - can't remember his forename unfortunately.

Anyway, I live in Altofts, as you are probably aware, and if I am able to be of help in the future, I wouldn't mind at all if you were to contact me.

I've just signed up for another stint with transcribing for the FreeBMD. I used to do this about 5 years ago for a syndicate called Yorkshire Volunteers. I enjoyed it immensely and think I transcribed about 33,000 deaths (sadly).

Now I'm about to join another syndicate, don't know what the brief is, but looking forward to the co-ordinator making contact with me on Thursday. It's such a worthwhile thing to do if one is interested, and as I type at 90 words per minute, I am able to get through many transcriptions.

So nice of you to email, thank you.

Pauline

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
No apology needed.

I was in leeds last year and was surprised at how little the city centre had changed since I was previously there (probably the 1960s). As for typing I can also do 90 words (per hour) ;D but at the moment 5.00 am I need to get out into my garden before the heat of the day - expecting another scorcher ( 40 deg), which may sound okay but I can assure you it aint nice.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline lablover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Dennford ... and thank you, once again for your email.

Good to know that you were in the nearby City of Leeds, last year. I'm amazed that you don't think it has changed that much, though - I used to work there, firstly at Geo. Bray at Blackman Lane, Leicester Place, a good walk from the University, subsequently down on Meadow Lane, near Leeds Bridge at a Glass Merchants, Thomas Bennett & Sons, then at Thorn Security (Burglar Alarms etc.)
not far from the Dark Arches, and then at Department of Employment opposite Quarry Hill Flats, having transferred from that same department in Wakefield. I also worked in the City at a Solicitors, Reed, Hind, Stewart and, also, as a temp at the Leeds Stock Exchange. All these might, or would, have been interspersed with other jobs some of which, now I'm in my dotage, I can't recall.

Michael was at H M Customs & Excise for many years, in the city first, and then they relocated to Peter Bennett House, LS16, the Lawnswood area of Leeds. The building was so named because Peter Bennett was killed whilst doing some investigative work to do with drugs, I believe.

Neither of us has been back for many years, I suppose primarily because of my lack of mobility and we find that, now we are amongst the old, unwashed, unfettered by employment and supposedly, idle rich, we can get most things closer to home.

We have snow today, and thank the Lord it was good and dry and sunshine yesterday for our trip to see my ailing cousin, Christine, in the midlands. We have just been to collect our two Labradors from kennels, and thank God for our Yeti 1.2 TSI.

I'm not saying it was an arduous trip, but the kennels are, of necessity, quite a way off the beaten track, along a windy and narrow dirt road bordered by fields. When they built the A1M they also built a bridge to facilitate access, but made the approach to that damn thing, twisty and turny and on an incline. You should have seen Hettie the Yeti purposefully inching her way along it and she's only 1.2 TSI but what a great heart she has. Coming down was like being on the Cresta Run ... I think our Magnus thought he was going to slide into the front, but thankfully, we are good owners and have a cage for the dogs in which they travel.

I'm now going to go on to the Yeti forum and rub the noses of those who go to great expense with 4 x 4 Yetis and tell them how amazing ours performed. No doubt some well meaning bloke, and
there are a few who are apt to get up one's nose on that forum, will be berating me for having
dared to enter into their world - do I care, not a bit. I don't often post because apart from myself,
and Suzz, a lady living in Australia and a Yeti owner, the others are men, knowledgeable about the
internal combustion engine - I just drive it!

Still snowing, so now apart from Michael walking the dogs, we are cosy and warm in our small, but nicely decorated and furnished, detached home. You probably appreciate the cooler spells that you might get out there in Australia, much as we, here, appreciate some warmer days - you can't have it all, can you?

Kind regards

Pauline

Offline Alice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 13 April 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I noticed whilst looking for family information that your research interests include Baines and Dixon and the forums are to do with mines. People in my family were always lead to believe that my Great Grandfathers (Asa Baines) Grandmother had something to do with a mine. She was called Emma Dixon and I believe she married a Joseph Baines. We think there's a link with a mine in Stanley or the surrounding areas but I've had no luck searching so far!!

I hope you might be able to help me with this.

Many thanks,

Alice.

Offline Lathallan1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
I think my great grandfather was the manager of Popes and Pearsons mine in Altofts when the disaster happened.I believe the FISHER family,my name, originated in the Midlands. But I know we had relatives in Willenhall! There you go