Author Topic: Cubbon of Arbory  (Read 30873 times)

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cubbon of Arbory
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 November 07 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I'll check it out. I'm still wading through the births and marriages and the census records. I haven't really considered the death records except for Leonora Callister Kinvig. Wills? I had no idea :o  :o :o :o :o  ;D ;D

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Heavens To Betsy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 May 09 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I realise this string is a good year and a half old, so apologies for that, but I couldn't see any other posts related to Cubbon. I'll use Cubbon in this post, but obviously in the records I've seen it's been spelled as Cubbin and Cubbins.

My great grandfather was Henry Cubbon, born on the 17th of April, 1867. Oral family history is that he was born in the Isle of Man and came from the village of Colby which is in the parish of Arbory and at some point came over to England. He was living in Noctorum in Cheshire at the point he married and his children were born and baptised in a variety of places around the Wirral and North Wales. According to his marriage certificate, his father was John Cubbon.

From the very small amount I've been able to do on free websites, I 'think' I've found his family when he was a child. Assuming I've picked up on the right Henry Cubbon, his parents were John and Mary Ann Cubbon. They were born and married in the Isle of Man and had five children there; Edward (around 1859), Elizabeth (around 1862), Mary Ann (about 1864), John (about 1865) and Henry (my great grandfather, in 1867). They then brought their young family over to England where they had four more children; William (about 1870), Sarah (about 1872), Thomas (about 1875) and Lily (about 1879), living in the New Brighton / Liscard area, then the Upton area until at least 1872 and then moving to Noctorum where I think they stayed until at least the 1890s.

I'm wanting to find if this is really 'my' Henry Cubbon's family and, if so, more about his parents - John and Mary Ann - who I'm assuming were born some time in the 1830s.

Hoping any of this fits in with what any of you have. Would also appreciate any advice on sourcing and obtaining BMD certificates, parish information and so on in the Isle of Man.
Cubbon (and variations thereon) - Isle of Man, Cheshire
Bewley and Wishart - Cumberland, Cheshire, Lancashire
McAlister, McFarlane and McNab - Argyll
McCrindle and McWhinnie - Ayrshire

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 May 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
civil reg on IoM started 1877/8 - prior to this you can pay for an official copy of the official 1911 transcript of parish regs - since these were filmed by the mormons I suggest you just borrow the films - indices to censuses, burials and wills are at http://www.iomfhs.im (follow research link) these will help considerably;99% of all MI's have been tramscribed by the fam hist soc - their publications can be bought ; http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes; is a active MB with several resaerchers who have done work on Arbory records (the home of 99% of cubbons) - you might also find htttp://www.manxnotebook.com useful
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline bcubbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 07:20 BST (UK) »
Just testing the water to see if there are any descendents from the Cubbons out there  ::) My particular family came from Arbory then some went on to Liverpool.
Would be very interested in hearing from those with Cubbon/Cubbin connections.

Here's hoping
Ann

Offline bcubbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 07:32 BST (UK) »
My Cubbin family originate from Ballaglonney Farm Arbory, Thomas was christened Thomas Cubbon but when he married in Wallesey to Catherine Cottier then Cheshire it changed to Cubbin. He had two sons from a previous marriage John Henry and Thomas Robert who emigrated to Philadelphia in the 1880s. His first wife was a Sarah Davies still trying to find her death certificate I think it was in child birth around 1861. Glad to hear from anyone in the US and UK.

Offline drcubbin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 May 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
My name is Dr. Michael Cubbin. My father was Robert Pearson Cubbin. His father was Harry Pearson Cubbin. I do know his family came from the IOM and I have heard that my great grandfather Thomas Robert Cubbin was a very decent person. His father, my grandfather though, was one tough nut - a very hardened man. My father had 4 sisters, one is still living in Pennsylvania - Carolyn Ragaini (nee Cubbin)

Offline johnsondana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 May 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, new to IOM research.  Will have to find out what this Manx Notebook is I guess.  :D  Anyway.  I do have a Jane Costain with her mother listed as a Cathe Cubbon on a baptism record.  Anyone have any information on this Cubbon?

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :)

The link for the Manx Notebook is here......http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/

I haven`t got my tree stuff available at the moment but I will take a look tomorrow and see what I have. Maybe someone else will contact you by then too.

Take care

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 May 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
What date was the baptism and where on the IOM did it happen?

mab