Author Topic: Wilson of Larbert  (Read 37309 times)

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson of Larbert
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 20 June 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Walter,

I'm related to the Perry family and would love to compare notes.  I'll contact you off forum since I'm not connected to the Wilson family.

By the way, you might want to consider removing your email address from your post - it might attract a lot of spam.

Regards,
Lenagh

Offline texasscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 20 June 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the heads-up, Lenagh, on the e-mail address.  However, I am directly related to the Wilsons.  They are my line, not the Perry's - sorry.

Walt

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 20 June 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Walt,

You had me a bit confused for a minute.  My post was actually in response to WPerrie - I should have been more specific.  Thank you for responding.

Regards,
Lenagh

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is my first post so please excuse me if I've approached this from the wrong page, i.e. The Wilsons page.
 I noticed that wperrie and texascot? (I think) wrote about Robert Perrie who married Ann Robertson in Lanarkshire, Scotland. I'm new at the whole genealogy thing and I'm tracing my husband's family back as his father is in his 80s and doesn't have any information prior to his own parents.
So far I have William Ralston married Marion Perrie (born 1838 or 1839) - I believe she had a brother Thomas, and that her parents were Robert Perrie and Ann Robertson.
 This is where I've stopped :) I haven't been able to confirm that I have the right mother for Marion as I've found a couple of possible wives for Robert Perrie (both in fairly close geographical proximity to each other, one Lanarkshire and the other Stirlingshire). Can anyone help me confirm that I have the right parents? Any help would be great, thanks, J
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, thomo7, welcome to RootsChat!

According to the International Genealogical Index https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi William Ralston and Marion Perrie were married on 30 December 1864 and had three sons, James, born 4 June 1865, William, born 1 March 1872, and Daniel, born 2 January 1874, all in Kilsyth.

Their marriage certificate will tell you the full names of both sets of parents, including their mothers' maiden names. You can view and download a digital image of the certificate at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it is pay-per-view, but reasonably priced. No need to speculate about Marion's parentage when there is an easily accessible original document that should give you the correct information.

In the 1881 census (I have a transcription of this on CD-ROM) William Ralston, 47, blacksmith, was living at 18 Brick Row, Kilsyth, with wife Marion, 45 and sons James, 15, Thomas, 12, William, 9 and Daniel, 7, all born in Kilsyth. You can view the original of this census at Scotland's People as above. (I have not yet found an index listing of Thomas' birth.)

The IGI also says that Marion, daughter of Robert Perrie and Ann Robertson, was baptised in Rutherglen on 11 February 1838. Therefore she would have been 43 on the date of the 1881 census. So unless both her age and her birthplace are wrong in the 1881 census, it seems unlikely that she is tthe wife of William Ralston.

See how you get on with that marriage certificate, and come back to us with any more questions.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,
Thanks for the welcome and the information. I haven't looked at the marriage certificate yet but will do shortly. Just a little confused (yes, already!)
The William Ralston you referred to in your first paragraph born 06/10/1833 and married 30/12/1864 to Marion Perrie, I have found listings of other children. In addition to the three you mentioned, I have another son William, 11 Oct 1866 died 11 Apr 1869, Alexander 11 Jan 1869, & Agnes 4 Oct 1870 died 18 May 1871. All born in Kilsyth.
If William was born in 1833 and was 47 as you mentioned in the 1881 census, then his wife Marion Perrie born 1 Feb 1838 (christened 11 Feb 1838, Rutherglen) would have been 43 at the time of the census. I haven't found a Thomas either! Perhaps a Thomas Alexander or Alexander Thomas?
Re your paragraph 4, it seems to make sense that the Marion Perrie1 Feb 1838 was married to William Ralston (the older).
The youngest son, Daniel 02 Jan 1874 is the son in our line - my husband's g g gf.
 I'll have a look at the marriage certificate and see if it all comes clear!  Thanks again for your help,
J
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome and the information.
It's a pleasure

Just a little confused (yes, already!)
I'm not surprised  :)

The William Ralston you referred to in your first paragraph born 06/10/1833 and married 30/12/1864 to Marion Perrie, I have found listings of other children. In addition to the three you mentioned, I have another son William, 11 Oct 1866 died 11 Apr 1869, Alexander 11 Jan 1869, & Agnes 4 Oct 1870 died 18 May 1871. All born in Kilsyth.
Yes, I see them all in the IGI now - mother's surname spelled Pirrie. I would have expected the IGI to equate Pir(r)i/e(y) with Per(r)i/e(y).

If William was born in 1833 and was 47 as you mentioned in the 1881 census, then his wife Marion Perrie born 1 Feb 1838 (christened 11 Feb 1838, Rutherglen) would have been 43 at the time of the census. I haven't found a Thomas either! Perhaps a Thomas Alexander or Alexander Thomas? Re your paragraph 4, it seems to make sense that the Marion Perrie 1 Feb 1838 was married to William Ralston (the older)
No, it does not make sense if the census is correct and she was born in Kilsyth. Don't forget that not everyone before 1855 is in the records - she could be one of the many whose birth and baptism record just doesn't exist.

I'll have a look at the marriage certificate and see if it all comes clear!
It will certainly sort out that question - but every answer brings at least two new questions in its wake  ;)

I am now speculating, but I think you will find that William Ralston was the son of James Ralston and his wife Mary Munro. The transcription of the 1851 census at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl lists a family of lock keepers in Kilsyth, parents James and Mary and eight children including a 17-year-old William, all born in Kilsyth except Mary. The same family is at Gavale in Kilsyth in 1841, with some non-matching ages. They look approximately like the family of James R and Mary Munro, six of whom are listed in the IGI. However they are in the 'community contributed' section of the IGI, which has a lot of unreliable misinformation in it, so you really need to check for original records and not take this information at face value.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wperrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,
                 The Robert Perrie who married Ann Robertson was born in Larbert in 1813 and was the fourth? child of John (Junior) Perrie (family pronunciation was always as in Peerie) and Isabella Wilson. I am a fifth generation direct descendant of that John Perrie. His father was that John Perrie (Peery) who married Janet Laing in 1758 in Larbert.  The line then goes back via Robert (Pirrie/Perrie) christened 1706 in St. Ninian's to another John (1676) and then (probably) to William.  Best regards to all - Walter Perrie

Offline texasscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your information w perrie and good luck to thomo7. :)