Author Topic: Braecroft, bryecroft?  (Read 4653 times)

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Braecroft, bryecroft?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 July 06 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi John...sometimes minor miracles happen.  Yesterday someone contacted me with info written in a family bible.  I now know James Lockerbie was born 1807 at Byrecroft in Kirkgunzeon, Kircudbright.  He had a sister Jean Smith Lockerbie born at Crochmore in Irongray, on 28 Dec. 1801.  James' parents were definitely James Lockerbie and Jean Gilchrist (Gelkerst).  It was stated in a letter that James Sr. was an only child and he was raised by a James Grierson, as his parentd died when he was a child.  I don't know where he married Jean Gilchrist.

Now I really have my work cut out for me.  I'm hoping someone can help me find some clues in Kirkgunzeon.  Thank you for your intrest!!!

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 July 06 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have found this so far for some background info - http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Kirkgunzeon/index.html

If you follow the link on the page for the Horse Tax, there is a farm listed as Byrecroft.

Also, if you look at this current map of the area, you will see it marked http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=286500&y=568500&z=3&sv=byrecroft&st=3&tl=Byrecroft,+Dumfries+and+Galloway+&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf
If you zoom out on it, you will see where it is in relation to Kirkgunzeon village/town itself, and Dumfries.

Unfortunately, a quick scan of Scotlands People does not show up any records for a James Lockerbie being born in 1807, or Jean in 1801.  Nor does it turn up a mention of their parents.

You mentioned a family bible - does it shed any light on what church they may have been part of?  The Old Parish Registers (which is where pre-1855 records can be found in Scotland) tends to only include Presbyterian Church of Scotland records - so the births and marriage may be recorded elsewhere.

Cheers,
Clare

ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 July 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare, 
I believe they were all Church of Scotland.  Early on there were a few Lockerbies listed as Covenanters but I can't make a definite link to them yet.
I live in the US and need someone in Dumfriesshire to check cemetery listings or actual cemeteries, unless church registers hold death info.  James Lokerbie Senior was probably born around 1755/59 ,married about 1779.  Either in Dumfriesshire or Kircudbrightshire.  James Jr. immigrated to Ontario around 1835ish so his parents might have been dead by then.  I have a suspicion they died in Lochmaben.

Thank you for your interet
Susan

Offline aallen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 September 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
Susan3,

I am the grandson of John Herbert & Evelyn Lockerbie and was wondering if you if you might have more information on the Scottish history around James Lockerbie and Jean Gelkerst? I am currently working off from information that my Aunt and Uncle provided to me a few years back. Anything that you might have or willing to share would be great!  You can reach me via this post or email at (*)

Best regards,

Arnie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Looking for information my ancestry from Dumfries, Scotland regarding surname Lockerbie, Gelkerst (Gilchrist, Gilkrest). Also surnames of Allen, Courser, Gott, Drake, Richardson, Schwartz, McFadden.

Offline David Lessels

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 June 20 03:57 BST (UK) »
Braecroft Farmhouse and farm demolished to make way for A711 Dalbeattie Road, Dumfries near to Woodside of Dalskairth, may have been known as Breacroft of Dalskairth