Author Topic: Huguenot Links - Follas  (Read 20661 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot Links - Follas
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a Richard Follis of Northern Ireland , he was born around 1830.He married a Charlotte Thompson. Apparently they were in the 1901 census, I would love for someone to look-up the 1901 census for them. They would have been in their 70s and living in Co Armagh.

Cheers David  ;)

The National Archives hope to add the 1901 census details to their website in early 2010 - see : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html

there looks like there may be a match for the death of Richard on the civil index :

Name: Richard Follis
 Registration district: Lurgan
 Record type: Death
 quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1903
 Volume: 1 / Page: 531

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 15:28 GMT (UK) »
There is also a death for Charlotte Follis in Lurgan Registration District.
Jul-Sept 1910
Estimated birth 1839
Age 71
Vol 1/Page 441

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline lurgangirl55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 July 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
I may be able to add something to this topic.
I unfortunately cannot comment on the possible Follis/ Huguenot connection but I was born and brought up in Co Armagh, in Lurgan, and I note there are some earlier queries on an Archer/ Follis marriage in Lurgan

My late father (born 1917, died 2010), one of whose christian names was Archer (it was very common in N Ireland to use a family surname as a Christian name),  was from 88 Hill Street, in Lurgan and he had a distant cousin who was a Follis, and was also from Hill Street Lurgan. I believe there were several families of that name in Hill Street at that time.

I live in England now but was born on the same day, in the same hospital and, subsequently, went to school with a male Follis descendant who (or so I was told by my parents) was a distant relative of my father's family. He still lives in or near Lurgan and could possibly contact him if it helped?????

Offline DaiOwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 August 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi halfkiwi
Just been looking up my mothers maiden name, Follis. Her parents were George S Follis and Mary Louisa Quan. I think the S was for Seyton.
My mother, Joanna but called herself Jean Follis, used to live in Tudor Place off the Crumlin Rd, Belfast. We went to Belfast in 1956 to visit my mothers relatives. Most memorable was a a farmhouse in Lurgan with a peatvfire for cooking on after catching the chicken in the farmyard!

We must be relatives.

Regards
Dai Owen

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 August 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
Dai,
     2 Feb 1920 George SEATON Follis married Mary Louisa Quan in Oldpark Presbyterian Church, Shankill, Belfast.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline DaiOwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 August 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
Realised after posting that I got the spelling wrong for Seaton.
Thanks for the quick response.

Dai

Offline DaiOwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 August 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
Must find an old photo of my grandmother. She has a very similar face shape to mine, uncanny

Offline willow81

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 October 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
Wow, i don't come across my last name ever, only if its from my siblings...I am a Follas...I to am doing family reseach. I am a descendant of Thomas Follas and Elizabeth Orr, who travelled to New Zealand on the "ANN" , they joined the ship on 21st October 1847 but did not set sail to NZ until 25 December. Would anyone have a photo of the Ship Ann?. or a copy?. Thomas was born in the parish of Shankle in or near the town Lurgan in the country of Armagh, Northern Ireland in 1803. On the 23 November 1820 he married Elizabeth Orr at Banbridge, Country Down. On thee 27th day of January 1821 he enlisted in the British Army at Newry, Country Armagh. Anyone doing the Follas research and are descendants of this side, I'm more than happy to try and help here in New zealand. From Thomas and Elizabeth, my great grand father was their son James (1835) who married Mary Ann Shine (1840) and my grandfather was their son Reginald Follas (this is the part of the family research that I'm stuck on) - Rumors in my family are - My grandfather is the biological son of James, but was adopted by James and his wife Mary Ann. His mother was the Maori maid. But i can find no information and them having a maid. But photographs indicate the family connection. Also my grandfather is thought to be born on 16 June 1894, my grandfather put his age up to serve in the NZ army by a few years, We can not locate a birth certificate . I am carrying on from my fathers research on his father.  Any Follas out there or reading this, any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Kristine

Offline fairthom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 31 March 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm interested in finding out more about William FOLLAS, son of Thomas FOLLAS and Elizabeth ORR. He was my 2G grandmother's second husband. Harriet MAYNARD married William in Wellington in 1866, two years after her first husband John Ward MCKAIN died. She is buried in Masterton as Harriet FOLLAS but I can't see a death for William, unless there was a variant spelling. I don't know anything about her life between 1866 and 1899.
Pam